What are you cooking tonight?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mugen shiyo, Sep 18, 2011.

1. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

It was likely held together with an enzyme or bonding agent... we call it "burger glue." And they are usually rolled into a log, cased, cooked, and then sliced.

ETA: or eggs, which are nature's bonding agent

Iain Aschendale and 123456789 like this.
  2. Moon

Moon Contributor Contributor

[​IMG]

It came out great! Fed my brother, mother and friend who came over. Nothing feels better than one upping yourself, eh?

Crab meat was a bit hard to keep from falling apart, but the thin chunks of it went well with the potatoes and dry tofu.

3. Moon

I'll be back to ramen noddles and burnt toast by tomorrow, so I best leave this thread with my 1-o record. :dead:

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  4. NobodySpecial

NobodySpecial Contributor Contributor

I’m thinking of being lazy tonight (I’ve been lazy all day, why stop now), and just ordering a pizza.

Shenanigator and Cave Troll like this.
  5. Wild Knight

Wild Knight Senior Member

Wasn't feeling particularly hungry.
    Fried red cabbage in butter, accompanied by minced garlic, added vinegar to kill the smell, and salted it to taste. I did this twice.

Later, I made stuffed peppers, using the ground turkey meat in the freezer, mushrooms, onion, garlic, and pieces of pepper that I cut up. Used chicken stock.
    Topped it with marinara sauce and cheese.

Cave Troll likes this.
  6. S A Lee

S A Lee Contributor Contributor

Weekend breakfast consists of sausage sandwiches.

Last night's dinner I mentioned in the confessions thread. Pork burgers with mozzarella (accidentally infused with garlic) and salami Milano.

In case anyone is curious, I don't need to eat gluten free, while my bf is no wheat or dairy. So when it's cheaper and easier to eat gluten free versions i do, and when it isn't I don't. So I eat gluten free sausages (and there are some amazing ones out there) and Yorkshire puddings (of my own making) but I buy myself normal bread and frozen food. Tortillas I eat gluten free because they don't keep long once opened so it's cheaper to just share.

7. Shenanigator

Shenanigator Has the Vocabulary of a Well-Educated Sailor. Contributor

If you’re going to do that, leave me out of it please. I come to this thread to get ideas, not be part of some fucking contest I didn’t ask to be in. I already live that shit every day in LA and in my work life and come here to escape from that, not be pitted against the people I came here to bond with.

Moon, minstrel and Cave Troll like this.
  8. Laurin Kelly

Laurin Kelly Contributor Contributor

I love Cheesecake Factory, though I don't go very often because they're usually super busy and they don't take reservations. My absolute favorite dish there (and I do believe it's vegetarian, though not vegan per se) are the Sweet Corn Tamale Cakes. They're listed as an appetizer but for me at least is more than big enough for a dinner entree. Also their beet and goat cheese salad is the bomb.

Moon and Shenanigator like this.
  9. Laurin Kelly

Mr. Kelly and I are starting work on renovating one of our bathrooms this weekend, so I'm thinking the next couple of nights dinner's going to be takeout.

Shenanigator likes this.
  10. Laurin Kelly

I'm definitely taking progress pictures!

This reno should be fairly cheap - we're doing everything ourselves except for having BathFitters overhaul the shower/tub, so it'll come in under $2000. Our other bathroom needs to be nearly taken down to the studs to make it pretty/functional, so that will have to wait until we can budget for a contractor. The house was built in 1963 and has needed (and still needs) a lot of upgrades to keep us living in it as opposed to selling it and moving into something newer.

Shenanigator likes this.
  11. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    My local grocery store sells a "curry set" in the produce department: One onion, two potatoes, and two carrots, packaged together for a couple bucks and perfect to go with one pack of Japanese curry roux. Quite convenient.

Moon likes this.
  12. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

Made guacamole for the first time in forever and put way too much garlic and cilantro in it. It's like getting getting a roundhouse kick to the face from freshness.

Shenanigator and Cave Troll like this.
  13. Laurin Kelly

Update: Dinner is Hawaiian pizza (YES I LIKE PINEAPPLE ON MY PIZZA COME AT ME BRO) and hot wings.

Shenanigator likes this.
  14. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Booga and Flies, whoo baby! :supergrin::cheerleader:

15. Shenanigator

Burger night: I made dijon-peppercorn sliders with grilled onions, and a cucumber salad.

Moon, Laurin Kelly and Cave Troll like this.
  16. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

@Shenanigator wins!

17. Shenanigator

I was fucking serious when I said to leave me out of it.

That bullshit is NOT what this forum is about. This is supposed to be a safe, supportive space where writers can be themselves and feel free to take off the masks in our writing and help each other to grow. The minute you introduce pitting people against each other, especially when they have specifically told you they don't want to be a part of a contest, you have removed a crucial element of that safe space and brought the toxicity of one-upsmanship into that space.

I am not afraid of competition. I have lived and worked in Hollywood since 1996. You do not survive in that environment without being highly competitive.

However, this Forum is my safe space.

ETA: Moreover, you never asked any of us if we wanted to be in your little fucking contest. You just arbitrarily took it upon yourself to start ranking our posts. Our content. Then you ignored me when I said I didn't want to be part of it.

BACK THE FUCK OFF.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
    Cave Troll and Mink like this.
  18. Mink

Mink Contributor Contributor

I use very little oil when I make mine and I make sure to cook the outside until there's a nice char because it really helps keep it together. My burger was made from black, beans, mushrooms, and broccoli (don't knock it until try it). I want to say I might have used an egg, but I could be wrong. I did cheat, though, and put a touch of worchestshire sauce (I can't find a vegetarian version anywhere) because I love the stuff. I also used garlic and several other seasonings.

Now I'm hungry.
    __

Tonight I'm going to make mushroom risotto. :) I'm trying to get back into eating properly though I'm about to snack on tortilla chips and salsa mixed with sour cream.

Cave Troll likes this.
  19. Moon

That's cool. Could use a curry set around here. Had to buy everything separately which in some of the Asian markets here is kind of....difficult, due to the quality. Cleanliness is probably a better word.

Speaking of, I spent hours, literal hours, looking for some "Black Honey syrup" so I could make Kanazawa style curry. Like the one they make in Go Go , but ended up with nothing. So, tonight I'll be making Mapo Tofu with rice.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
    Shenanigator likes this.
  20. Shenanigator

My standard order from Dominos is chicken, bacon pieces, green bell peppers, onions, and pineapple on the thin and crispy crust. Occasionally I add black olives. Would I call it "pizza"? I think of it more like flatbread. But it's fantastic. You do you, LK!

Moon likes this.
  21. Moon

Ha, my mother likes her pizza that way. I tend toward just having what I call the "Cardiac arrest" with all kinds of meat (Pepperoni, chicken, sausage, bacon, ham) and extra cheese. Gotta go hardcore when it comes to toppings.

Annnnnnd I'm hungry.

Shenanigator likes this.
  22. Shenanigator

Oh, that's good too! The other way is just a little less of a calorie bomb.

Annnnnd me too! :)

Moon likes this.
  23. S A Lee

S A Lee Contributor Contributor

Meatballs al forno with home made tomato sauce and spelt pasta twists, (topped with coconut mozzarella for the bf, reduced fat mozzarella for me) and a starter of store bought gluten free garlic dough balls.

24. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

My wife, thinking bolognaise was too depressing for our Sunday, cooked Shepherd's pie, and my own recipe baked courgette slices with cheese on top. a strong 7 [@123] Oh no, no.

123456789 likes this.
  25. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

Let's just say if I could pick any dinner to crash tonight, it would be yours.

matwoolf likes this.