What are you doing?..continued

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by big soft moose, Sep 24, 2021.

1. w. bogart

w. bogart Contributor Contributor Blogerator

Just watched the Netflix series "Wednesday".
    Tim Burton directed the first several episodes, with an interesting take. The actor they picked for Gomez, was a horribly distracting mistake. Other than that they did a good job of capturing the mood of the original series, and the movies.

2. SapereAude

SapereAude Contributor Contributor

Seems rather a pointless video. I would be much more likely to be interested if they showed how to make a book.

Hmmmmm ... off to YouToob lala land.

3. RMBROWN

RMBROWN Senior Member

I just got done shutting down my sawmill for the winter. I make split rail fence nights and weekends while I am resting. I am always glad to see Thanksgiving come, it means the end of the season for me. The real battle is now to cover the machinery and protect if from the weather, yet not make it friendly for mice to build a nest in. I am convinced, there are no mice in heaven. I have had tons of down time this year to chewed wires and mouse nests that get built in all the wrong places, air boxes and exhausts systems.

00H0H_dKLZ6NiZOZB_600x450.jpg

Xoic and Earp like this.
  4. RMBROWN

RMBROWN Senior Member

What I make.

00g0g_cPEJys86GIw_600x450.jpg

Set2Stun, Xoic, edamame and 2 others like this.
  5. Catriona Grace

Catriona Grace Mind the thorns Contributor Contest Winner 2022

Those look real nice.

RMBROWN likes this.
  6. AntPoems

AntPoems Contributor Contributor

Over the holiday, I remembered a sci-fi Christmas story that I wrote a draft of some years ago but then abandoned because I didn't feel like transcribing 50 handwritten looseleaf pages. Yesterday, I dug it out of my old files and reread it, and I felt quite pleased with myself. It's a bit rough, but there's some good stuff in there! So, now I'm finally typing it up so I can give it the editing it deserves. A really good, finished story would be a lovely Christmas gift to myself, don't you think?

7. SapereAude

SapereAude Contributor Contributor

I'm doing much the same for the young daughter of friends across town.

I had no heat, no hot water, no [landline] telephone, and no Internet over Thanksgiving. These friends included me in their Thanksgiving Day dinner. After dinner, their daughter handed me a printed copy of a story she wrote about a heroic little girl dragon. I thought the story was pretty good for a 12-year old writer, so I had the bright idea to fire it off to Amazon and upload it as an actual book, then give her a copy of her own book for Christmas -- along with a link to the listing on Amazon, so she can see her name up there on the Internet.

I just finished putting everything together. I have a PDF of the book body for the print version, a separate file for the Kindle version, a cover for the print version and a cover for the Kindle version. Just need to get together with her parents to see if they want to set up an author account to use for the upload (so if the book sells any copies the royalties won't come to me) or if they want me to do it under my account.

The goal is to have everything in place for Christmas. It looks like that should be possible.

8. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

I wrote a "Xmas" story like 25 years ago called Revenge of the Elf. It was about an underground elf-fighting ring in a South Boston bar where a bunch of drunks brought their pet elves to duke it out and gamble on the outcomes, etc. But then the MCs elf got killed in the ring and the elf's brother came over from Ireland to avenge him. Debauchery and hilarity ensued. My favorite part was the pub where the humans had a regular bar and the elves had a tiny bar with tiny beers and thimble shot glasses and shit (the elves were about 2 feet tall in my story). They'd hurl elf insults at each other, hang each other from the dart boards, whip out and compare their elf wieners. You know... wholesome holiday fun!

Set2Stun and AntPoems like this.
  9. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

tell me you published that somewhere... it sounds like it needs a film adaptation

AntPoems likes this.
  10. Homer Potvin

Haha, no. Don't think I ever finished it. And if I still have it, it's probably on a 3.5" floppy disk. Might be worth a rewrite but, you know, the inspirational magic is long gone.

11. Sir Reginald Pinkleton

Sir Reginald Pinkleton Member

I'm watching Mr. Del Toro's Cabinet of Curiosities and wondering what on Earth the chap was thinking who adapted Pickman's Model. Perhaps it's just that he felt the work's gore and horror is a touch too static for TV, being mostly paintings and, significantly, a single photograph? Nonetheless, I prefer my horror implied and I'm unimpressed, disappointed even, by gore. A shame, as that's always been a favourite of mine.

12. AntPoems

That is an absolutely fantastic idea! I'm sure she'll be thrilled, and you'll be the hero of the Christmas season. Excellent way to encourage her writing. Also, good on them for helping you out for the holidays. It's always nice to be reminded that there are good people in the world.
    [​IMG]

Homer Potvin likes this.
  13. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

i'm reminded of the fan fic @Iain Aschendale wrote for the polar express... i think it was called 'the last run'

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  14. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    AntPoems likes this.
  15. Catriona Grace

Aw, what a sweet guy you are! There better be stars in your crown when you get to The Great Beyond.

My son wrote a hunting newsletter when he was about 14. He gave a copy to his English teacher, and the next thing we knew, that lovely gentleman had sent my son $10 and a request for a quarterly subscription.

16. AntPoems

Stroking my freshly shaved chin for the first time in over twenty years. You know that scene that pops up in certain movies where the heroine decides she needs a fresh start to life and gives herself a short, cute haircut? That's pretty much how I feel right now. :)

EFMingo, Xoic and Iain Aschendale like this.
  17. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    And a lovely young lady like yourself should at least test out what a beardless life feels like, if only for a month or so. :p

18. AntPoems

I can grow it back if I ever need to rejoin the circus :D

Iain Aschendale and Homer Potvin like this.
  19. Catriona Grace

I've never seen my husband's unadorned face (except in old photos) and we've been hanging out together since the late seventies. He had a mustache when I met him, grew a beard for the 1980 hunting season, and says he will "never allow one of those barberous instruments near my skin again."

20. Homer Potvin

For me, the beard goes on when it starts getting cold in October and comes off when it starts warming up in May. I might do a little goatee or handlebar in the interim, but once the snow hits, beard up!

AntPoems likes this.
  21. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    I see what you did there :)

Catrin Lewis and Catriona Grace like this.
  22. AntPoems

Yeah, I've never been known for good timing o_O

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  23. GrahamLewis

GrahamLewis Seeking the bigger self Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2024 Contest Winner 2023

an oasis of PC midst right-wing extremism
    Zen Flesh, Zen Bones
    Trying to decide whether to shave mine after 3 years. What inspired you to do it?

24. Set2Stun

Set2Stun Rejection Collector Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2023

The Road - Cormac McCarthy
    I only ever shaved because it seemed like that's what other men did. And I guess when you let it grow out as a teenager, it looks really, really bad. When I reached my mid 20s, I stopped shaving to my skin. All that did was give me razor burn and ingrown hairs. I bought a trimmer and maintained a short beard for the next decade. Maybe five or six years ago, I decided to just let it grow and see what happened.
    I will never go back. I keep it at a length of about 3-4 inches. I screwed up while trimming last year and had to start over. I looked like a child. It was awful. But fortunately the pandemic was still in full swing, and nobody saw it before it mostly grew back.
    Shaving can take a hike !

25. AntPoems

Honestly, a big ol' emotional crisis of heartache, loneliness, and depression :(. It had been building for a while, and after a particularly painful conversation, I just needed to change something about myself. Very much an outward symbol of a new direction. I don't know how much difference it will make, but I do feel good about it as a start. I hope your reasons are less dramatic than mine!