What are you doing?..continued

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by big soft moose, Sep 24, 2021.

1. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

I think that’s the problem, when I analyse it. I’m always waiting for the reader to put the stress in the wrong place, or pause unnaturally... or use a strange pronunciation. Top and bottom of the problem is I’m listening to how they talk rather than to what they’re reading.

2. Catrin Lewis

Catrin Lewis Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer Contest Winner 2023

Here you go:

Though if you don't like audiobooks, you don't like audiobooks.

OurJud likes this.
  3. dbesim

dbesim Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor

I’ve been taking part in a NaPoWriMo challenge at a poetry forums.

It’s like NaNoWriMo except with poems.

4. J.T. Woody

J.T. Woody Book Witch Contributor

Bar hopping.... Im at bar number 6 now :crazy:

Chromewriter and Homer Potvin like this.
  5. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Me too! Except I manage all six. Does that count?

J.T. Woody likes this.
  6. Homer Potvin

Me too! Except I manage all six. Does that count?

J.T. Woody likes this.
  7. Catriona Grace

Catriona Grace Mind the thorns Contributor Contest Winner 2022

There are bars in some of the restaurants I go to, but the last time I was in a real bar that was a bar for the sake of being a bar... I couldn't tell you. Even in the days when I did occasionally have something to drink, I didn't enjoy socializing in bars because I could never understand anything anyone was saying. I have a hearing idiosyncrasy that is exacerbated by the noise level in most such establishments, so I spent a lot of time trying to look pleasant and interested, while being bored out of my mind. :rolleyes:

8. OurJud

Watching Country Queens at the BBC. Unfortunately, I’m sure in the name of ‘diversity’, it features the likes of LeAnn Rimes and Taylor Swift singing songs that resemble Country in no way shape or form. Thankfully, though, they’re outweighed by performances from the real Country queens.

9. Michael Prince

Michael Prince Member

Ooh, I remember you like poems, (pm convo).

10. Chromewriter

Chromewriter Contributor Contributor

I'm glass hopping to number 6 as well! Does that count? ;)

Glad we are drinking buddies from far away lands. :p

J.T. Woody likes this.
  11. J.T. Woody

Idk how bars were back in the day, but 5 of the 9 bars i went to had either a deck of cards on the table or a wall of board games and card games to pick from.

(With the exception of one bar that was all vintage pinball machines and old arcade games to where you had to buy drinks to get tokens to play.... And another bar was an exception because it was BYOF and it was Trivia night). All of these bars encourage socialization.
    Lol, at the Adult Arcade bar, i wandered off and made new friends at Dance Revolution game and then made more friends playing Soul Calibur:D

Even the bar tenders were very friendly. One tender stayed around while we played cards and we talked about early 2000 punk music, haha!

12. Catriona Grace

Catriona Grace Mind the thorns Contributor Contest Winner 2022

...5 of the 9 bars i went to had either a deck of cards on the table or a wall of board games and card games to pick from.

I've seen that in coffee houses. Such a good idea. With the exception of solitaire, Scrabble, and occasionally Trivial Pursuit, I am not much of a game player. I'd about as soon be fried with the breakfast eggs as play cards. Yeah, totally dullsville at family parties, bars, and coffee places. You can find me sitting in a corner doing the crossword puzzle. :write:

J.T. Woody likes this.
  13. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

I used to hang out in a few bars in the 80's and 90's. I never saw cards on any tables or board games, but there were dart boards on the walls in many. Seems highly dangerous to me...

14. Xoic

@Homer Potvin Really?! you manage 6 bars? Are they all in restaurants? Do you manage more than one 'straunt?

Or is it more a case of drinking so much you're seeing double times 3? Wait, I forget how many employees you said you have recently, was it like hundreds?

15. J.T. Woody

And now theres ax throwing:D
    What could go wrong?

Xoic likes this.
  16. Xoic

Are you even serious right now? Are you trolling me? I was gonna say "Hey, why not ax throwing and knife throwing too?", but it seemed ridiculous and over the top.

J.T. Woody likes this.
  17. Homer Potvin

Yeah, running the whole company now. Six restaurants, each with a bar, some much larger than others. I've been transitioning out of "my" restaurant for about a month, but I'm still there a few shifts a week until I can hire a new manager.

Honestly, not even sure how many employees. I think it's like 130 regular, but there's so many casual employees and ancillary staff working in the office that it's hard to count. And a lot of people work in multiple stores, so the total number of paychecks is around 200.

Xoic likes this.
  18. Xoic

Damn man!!! I musta missed the big post on the 'Things you recently bought or got' thread. :D

Hope it doesn't run you totally ragged. ... And no wonder you haven't been posting much lately! :supergrin:

Homer Potvin likes this.
  19. Homer Potvin

Ragged is relative. It's a lot more hours (if that's even possible), but they're better quality hours. Lots of paperwork, but that can be done at home or at the company office, so I'm not standing in a restaurant dealing with every little thing that comes up. Emails, texts, and phone calls are essentially 24/7 but those are whatever. You either pick up a phone and deal with a problem in 5 minutes, or you don't and deal with the fallout the following day.

Bottom line, I don't have to run joints directly anymore. I get to run the people who run the joints. And at 43 years old with 26 years in the trenches, I get to finally be home at 6-7pm instead of 1-2am. Honestly, I didn't feel like I could function at a cutthroat, mach 3 level running circles around people half my age and blunt forcing my old school culinary (and disciplinary) tactics upside the heads of a rapidly evolving industry. I mean, I could, because I'm fucking nuts, but I don't want to anymore. Time to let the younger generations execute their thing, just like others had to make way for mine 10 years ago. Change your game or get run over by progress. That kind of thing.

20. J.T. Woody

Behold

Xoic likes this.
  21. Xoic

That doesn't look like it's in a bar though. It's the mixing of sharp thrown objects and mass quantities of alcohol in particular that concerns me. As long as people are sober, adults, and doing it willingly then it's a matter of taking their own safety (and the safety of everyone else present) into their own hands. But I would try to keep alcohol far away. Though I'm sure lumberjacks and etc drink prodigiously at some of their competitions involving speed-chainsawing, axe throwing, and those huge saws that require two people to pull, one at each end. But I mean, those are lumberjacks, they work with those tools every day and have massive skills, plus you have to be bold as hell to take that job in the first place. A dartboard, or even worse an axe throwing area in a bar just seems insane to me.

EDIT—OK, right at the end when the camera turns around, it does look like it might be in a bar. Damn!! This is pure insanity!

22. J.T. Woody

those places are inside bars, tho
    and one of the bars i went to said he doesnt want to have one in the bar because it would be a mess with the insurance company, but he's going to hire a pop up ax throwing company to come in a few times a month to set up in the bar.

Xoic likes this.
  23. Xoic

Yeah, I added a little bit to my last post when I saw the end of the video. Geez, I'd think everybody present would have to draw up a last will and testament and sign a release form in case of severe bodily injury or death!

Next up, juggling flaming chainsaws, coming to a tavern on your street!!

24. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

So what's Her Maj singing?

25. OurJud

I’m trying to think of a witty retort, but Workin’ Nine Till Five is the best I can come up with.