What are you doing?..continued

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by big soft moose, Sep 24, 2021.

1. Seven Crowns

Seven Crowns Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor Contest Winner 2022

Replacing fence posts. Wind storm wrecked the whole neighborhood. It snapped trees in two that looked invulnerable and ruined the last section of fence I haven't already replaced (from years past). I can't put up any fence slats though. Home Depot is totally out. I'll leave that step off until next week or the week after. That's not the hard part anyway.
    They were also trying to sell 8 foot posts for $55 each. Yeah . . . that's not happening. I managed to find a different one there for a sane price. Strange days.

2. Catriona Grace

Catriona Grace Mind the thorns Contributor Contest Winner 2022

Waiting for green chili to cook, the baby to wake up, and the older kids to come home. Deja vu all over again until I look in the mirror and see the old lady laughing back at me.

Catrin Lewis likes this.
  3. Vaughan Quincey

Vaughan Quincey Active Member

Currently Reading::
    JG Ballard - Concrete Island
    Came back from plundering the library. They almost locked me in there.
    Just getting ready for the next Lockdown.

Can't believe the TP hoarders are still hard at it - Saw a guy carrying insane amounts among the Xmas shoppers.

(Me carrying a huge bag full of books over my shoulder, instead of food or TP, is of course perfectly normal)

Catrin Lewis, Moon and love to read like this.
  4. Catriona Grace

Recovering from a three hour drive involving a couple hundred miles of 40-70 mph crosswinds. Trying to stay awake until it is late enough to go to bed without risking awakening at 4 a,m,

Catrin Lewis likes this.
  5. Moon

Moon Contributor Contributor

Organizing presents while wistfully sipping coffee. Been a long year.

6. J.T. Woody

J.T. Woody Book Witch Contributor

Im back home from visiting my family and am now back at work after 2 weeks.

I don't know how i feel...

7. Catriona Grace

I go back next week, but will still be driving back and forth weekly to take care of my new granddaughter for another month. After that, they'll move fifteen hours away. Too bad you don't live nearby. We could have tea and talk about conflicted feelings.

J.T. Woody likes this.
  8. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Starting 2021 year end financials at 12:06 AM my time. I've got one restaurant that still has a check open, and if they don't close it by 12:10AM, I'm going to drive over there and do it myself. I've got nooooo time to wait on mofos. The new year is six minutes old and I already feel behind!

Set2Stun likes this.
  9. Catriona Grace

Sitting in front of the woodfire working on my novel and waiting for midnight when I'll go out into the 0 degree night and watch the new year come in from the east. Goals was to finish the first draft of the last part of the novel by midnight. Not going to quite make it, but its close enough to make me happy.

Catrin Lewis and Set2Stun like this.
  10. Historical Science

Historical Science Contributor Contributor

Over the last couple of weeks I've been listening to Les Misérables at work and I might need therapy after this.

Catrin Lewis likes this.
  11. Earp

Earp Contributor Contributor

Working my way through the original CSI (into season 9) and installing Peppermint Linux on an old Dell laptop.

Seven Crowns and Catrin Lewis like this.
  12. Catrin Lewis

Catrin Lewis Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer Contest Winner 2023

Riding on a train through the night-black countryside of western Pennsylvania. We're two and a half hours behind schedule, but at least we got out of New York City before the worst of the blizzard hit.

13. Catriona Grace

Back with Baby. Next to last weekend before they move 15 hours away.

14. Vince Higgins

Vince Higgins Curmudgeon. Contributor

Caltrans-Detention Basins Design Guide
    Reading Origin of species. My pace has picked up to a point where I may finish it by mid March at fifteen-twenty minutes a day. Langage is interesting. Monstrosity for what we now call mutation. Savages for natives of undeveloped areas &c.

15. Night Herald

Night Herald The Fool Contributor

In lieu of actual writing, I've started to organize my writing folder (just shy of 500 documents divided across 70 subfolders). It's going to be an ordeal, but I've spent entirely too much time looking for various WIPs, chapters, worldbuilding documents, notes, dossiers, or whatever. Few things kill motivation and inspiration so much as searching for your story for a good hour.

AntPoems likes this.
  16. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

People still use libraries?

Watching The Hobbit: Battle of the Five Armies.

Seven Crowns likes this.
  17. Catriona Grace

Just us renegades.

Catrin Lewis and OurJud like this.
  18. Catriona Grace

Waiting on my son-in-law to get home to care care of Baby so I can try and beat the winter storm that's rolling in. It's already snowing, but I hope it won't get too bad until later today. Traveling in the Rocky Mountain West is always a crap shoot this time of year.

Catrin Lewis likes this.
  19. Seven Crowns

Seven Crowns Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor Contest Winner 2022

Writing during lunch break. Guess I better get back to work. It's a modest hike to the next location, and I'd drive but gas is too expensive. I could get a bike, I guess, but I like to read my kindle on the way over and that would be too dangerous considering how I ride.

[​IMG]

Xoic and Madman like this.
  20. Robert Musil

Robert Musil Comparativist Contributor

Instead of doing my WIP, I think I'll take the time to design a board and rules for an in-universe game that is only glimpsed, obliquely, in one scene and has no effect on anything.

Starting to feel like a real author, over here.

AntPoems likes this.
  21. Vince Higgins

Vince Higgins Curmudgeon. Contributor

Caltrans-Detention Basins Design Guide
    Getting ready for my daily wake and bake, then a long walk through the watersheds that are research for some current non-fiction.

22. Historical Science

Historical Science Contributor Contributor

Visiting my folks in CT but heading back north early in the morning to beat the snow!

23. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

I'm preparing everything to start full-time uni in a couple of weeks as a middle aged man. While I'm experienced and excited, and understand that no one gives a shit about age, I still feel anxious about being out of place. The reason is that when you're young, you have an excuse to not know anything and to wander around aimlessly while you figure shit out. I guess I feel if I wander around aimlessly trying to figure shit out people will think; come on man, you should know all this shit by now. But I'll get the hang of it and I get along with everyone so it will all become normal. But still... new (ish, I went to uni for a year 19 years ago) experiences are the same at 19 or 44. And like my parents told me many moons ago, you never really stop feeling like a teenager.

24. Catriona Grace

You'll be just fine. I went back to school at 42 and finished with a 4.0, something I did NOT do at 22. Having learned some writing and organizational skills along the way, I could knock out in an hour an essay that took the kids a week of hard labor. I actually got along with the kids better as A Woman of a Certain Age than I had when I was a kid myself.

Just for the record, I haven't felt like a teenager for decades... thank goodness. ;)

25. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Wondering whether I can get away with 86ing guacamole from my two Mexican restaurants. Or charge $15 in good conscience, of which, I don't have one when it comes to menu pricing. Avocados are running $80 a case (up from $45), limes $90 (up from $40-ish), white onions $53 from $36. Strangely, meat prices have been incrementing dropping. But produce? Sweet Baby Jesus....

Earp and Iain Aschendale like this.