What Are You Doing?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Carly Berg, Jan 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Malisky

Malisky Malkatorean Contributor

No. Jagermeister is plain bitter. I hate it. This is heavily smokey. Not usual for whiskey in general.

Cave Troll and Tralala like this.
  2. Malisky

I hope so, since I've already drank it. :p

Tralala and Night Herald like this.
  3. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    Sounds like you might want to switch to bourbon. I don't know that variety of scotch, but scotch as a whole is distinguished by the smoky peaty taste. I've had some that's pretty over-the-top in the smoke department.

Four Roses is my go-to for an inexpensive yet decent bourbon. Jim Beam is everywhere, don't like it myself, but you won't go broke testing it. Maker's Mark or Wild Turkey 8 is for when I want to drink it just on the rocks, and Elijah Craig Single Barrel Small Batch is when I'm feeling rich.

4. Malisky

I prefer whiskey to bourbon. Bourbon tastes much sweeter as a whole, while whiskey just leaves a mild aftertaste of sweetness. I've drank many a whiskey brands in my life but none tasted a smokey as this does. "Burnt" is a more fitting word.

Cave Troll, Tralala and EFMingo like this.
  5. EFMingo

EFMingo A Modern Dinosaur Supporter Contributor

Jim Beam Red Stag is probably my favorite. The cherry bourbon barrel taste in it is rich and goes down warm and smooth. I like the Wild Turkey for when I have a group that needs to get their energy up cause it usually kicks like a mule.

Tralala likes this.
  6. EFMingo

This I agree on. Also I hate it because of what it does to me. Once did a pushup with a three hundred fifty pound man laying on top of me because of Jager. I didn't want to lose the fight. Still got smothered immediately afterward, but not killed because they were genuinely impressed. That was the last thing I remember of that particular night.

7. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    Sigh... Bourbon is whiskey (with an "e"). Scotch whisky, Irish whiskey, bourbon whiskey, Tennessee whiskey, Japanse whisky... They're all variants of whisk(e)y. You'll get rid of that watery taste the higher up the scale you go, believe me.

8. Malisky

Isn't bourbon american whiskey? It tastes different than Scotch or Irish whiskey. That's what I mean. I might not be able to understand which whiskey is Irish or Scottish in comparison (although Irish tends to be lighter i think in taste), but bourbon, I'll figure out.

ETA: Never tasted Japanese whiskey. I'm all ears!

Tralala likes this.
  9. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Lagavulin is delicious. Islay peat moss is what you're tasting. $72 a bottle in the US. Typically it's the highest of the mid range scotches on most menus.

Cave Troll, Tralala and Malisky like this.
  10. Malisky

Omg, there's gonna be a fight tomorrow, since I drank the last bit of it. It was worth it though. After the first three sips it got better and better. No remorse! :D

11. Malisky

When I drink heavily I'm just glad being able to navigate around the scenery. Push ups? Lol.

Cave Troll and Tralala like this.
  12. OzeeManDias

OzeeManDias Member

I apologize in advance for not continuing on the alcohol thread you've all got going here, but I'm currently listening to Hocus Pocus by Focus over and over again while internally debating with myself over touching up my completed novel, working on my various ones in progress, or creating a map for my fantasy world.

Some Guy, Cave Troll, Tralala and 3 others like this.
  13. EFMingo

To be fair, I think I was being a bit of an asshole. I'm pretty sure they were taking me down to go to bed. So the big guy laid on me, but I wasn't going to bed without a fight. We drank to the massive push up, probably did a bunch of other stupid shit, and then blackd out together. Good times.

Some Guy, Cave Troll, Tralala and 2 others like this.
  14. Malisky

After journeying forth and back the kiosk in the thunderstorm (I wanted to buy cigarettes), I'm thoroughly soaked and I think it's time to black out myself. It was a refreshingly unproductive day again, but I've enjoyed it. Goodnight y'all!

15. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    Bourbon is one variety of American whiskey. By law (kind of like the EU appellation thingy) it has to be made from at least 51% corn mash and aged in charred white oak barrels. Jack Daniel's is very similar to a bourbon, but the company refers to it as a "Tennessee whiskey" which is filtered through maple charcoal then aged in charred oak barrels. There's also rye whiskey, which was the original American version but went out of fashion during Prohibition and is now slowly making a comeback. Wikipedia lists some other varieties here, but the point is "bourbon" is short for "bourbon whiskey," just as "Scotch" is short for "Scotch whisky" and so forth. Japanese whisky is similar to Scotch, as it originated from Japanese distillers trying to copy the taste of Scotch, but it's since been recognized as its own variety and won a couple of blind international whisk(e)y competitions.

From the Wikipedia article on Japanese whisky comes this wonderful paragraph:

Some Guy, Malisky and Tralala like this.
  16. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

It's supposed to taste like that. Some people love that taste. However, there are worse. Laphroaig. Tastes just like TCP smells. (TCP is a skin disinfectant used in the UK. It a love it or hate it thing.) My very favourite Islay single malt is Bunnahabhain. I still have an older bottle of it, half full. I save it for ...erm, myself, really. I hear they've changed the formula on that one ...why, I don't know. It's a perfect 'peaty' single malt as it was.

One of the best books to describe the tastes of Scotland's single malts was written by the late, great Scottish writer Iain Banks (Iain M Banks, for his sci-fi stuff.) It's called Raw Spirit: In Search of the Perfect Dram. Published in 2004, I believe. The reason I like the book so much (aside from the fact that it's SO entertaining, as you'd expect from a lively writer such as he was) is that he is SPOT-ON with his descriptions of how these single malts taste. HIS favourite is the awful Laphroaig, but he describes MY favourite ones beautifully. If you want to know what these taste like before buying, I can highly recommend this book. The downside of the book is that there isn't any way to 'look up' the malts. There is no index, so you just have to read the book and take notes. But if you want to do that, and it's well worth the effort, you'll enjoy the 'ride.' It's kind of a whisky tour of Scotland, so you get more than you might have expected.

Tralala and Malisky like this.
  17. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Just stumbled across The Cincinnati Kid on Netflix. Ann Margret 1965 was hot. Like stupid hot. Like knock the Earth off its axis hot.

Tralala, Some Guy, Malisky and 3 others like this.
  18. love to read

love to read Senior Member

On my way to the farewell party of a dear former colleague who is going into retirement. It is cold and raining and I can‘t even blame Canada (or can I?). Currently waiting for my train which is - of course - delayed.

19. Moon

Moon Contributor Contributor

Blame Canada. They're the holders of all the arctic air and maple syrup. Yum, frostbite, er, I mean, maple syrup.

ETA: I'm freezing. Fun. Should open a window.

Tralala, love to read and Malisky like this.
  20. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

To the strains of Bach the curtains parted and our dear Ernst rolled into the golden flames of his retirement.

21. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Coffee, work at 10.
    Kinda annoyed that one of those stupid,
    "Your computer is infected with xyz" pages
    cut my upload short and it was at 75%, so
    now I have to wait until after group. Takes
    too many days to upload the darn thing. o_O
    Just hope I can get the job done today, so I
    don't have to go back Friday, but if it's on
    concrete then I don't think I will have much
    of a choice.

22. Malisky

Got up and guess what? It's still raining buckets. Going to school is going to be adventurous the least. I need to find meself e boat.

23. Moon

Moon Contributor Contributor

I read your posts in an endless amount of goat demons voices. Baaaahahahahahahahahahaa

24. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

What I’m doing is being thankful for this sign, especially the arrow, because I’d have been wondering otherwise.

E1BD2515-3F5D-4DE3-9710-B8F1E7C5A283.jpeg

Tralala and Cave Troll like this.
  25. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Personal collection*

Cave Troll, Tralala and Some Guy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.