What Are You Doing?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Carly Berg, Jan 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xander17

Xander17 Hermit Archetype Supporter Contributor

Just started back on my exercise.
    Doing planks every day and a 2hr traintrack walk every 2nd day.
    Will either hit the treadlee in Dec or Jan.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
    Cave Troll, Tralala and Malisky like this.
  2. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

I just helped my roomie install a new lock on our front door. It involved drilling into the door. Turns out our door is made of some kind of Yggdrasil wood that resists the drill like the survival of Asgard depends on it. We have a new set of drill bits, so they're not weak; the wood is STRONG. It took a lot of effort, and produced quite a bit of smoke.

But the job is done.

3. EFMingo

EFMingo A Modern Dinosaur Supporter Contributor

I always love opportunities to buy more tools for the garage. Must grow the eclectic collection!

Cave Troll, Xander17, Moon and 2 others like this.
  4. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

if its smoking you're pushing too hard (so many double entendres so little time), you need to back off and drill a little at a time clearing the swarf between each attack

Cave Troll, Tralala, Some Guy and 2 others like this.
  5. Some Guy

Some Guy Manguage Langler Supporter Contributor

Start with a hole saw to about half an inch, then the good old hand auger (sets its own pace), in a size about 85 % of hole saw. Let the tip of the auger peek through, then finish by running the hole saw from the uncut side. Make sure all tools are sharp, or new. :D

Tralala likes this.
  6. Tralala

Tralala Active Member

Sorry, Iain!

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  7. Moon

Moon Contributor Contributor

Injured my arm in a wrestling match. Overconfidence can be a bitch. I blame testosterone. My ground game improved though! Plus, it was fun. Surrounded by a cage on all sides, guys screaming, phew, blood pumping excitement.

Need to rest the arm though. So today will be some reading, a little writing and some property checking.

Also have to buy a turkey. Unsure what else to eat with said bird, but eh.

Tralala and Cave Troll like this.
  8. Xander17

Xander17 Hermit Archetype Supporter Contributor

3am.

- Done a few planks inbetween my morning routine since I awoke at 2.
    - Strong winds continue since yesterday after pushing the rain clouds far far away.
    - Traintrack day; leaving my home made walking stick behind from now on as I'm walking to fast for it; used it a lot when I first arrived in Tassie; great for rainforest walks, but not the hi-speed traintrack.
    - "Avin' coffee, bickies and some dried fruit, listening to some ambient.

- Idiots guide to grammar was a disappointment, wouldn't recommend it to anyone; did learn some things but the book didn't cover all punctuation symbols, which I think should've been included in this beginners guide; instead it wasted a chapter on how to write text messages, even though the author says text messaging isn't the domain of proper grammar.

- Will be reading all the web pages and watch the vids I downloaded to complete my basic training; the plan is to rehit the book in Dec or Jan.
    - Alternating play between GT6, RDR and Midnight Club.

- Reminiscing the other day about my Commodore 64; did some searching and snagged a free copy of the old wire frame graphics game of Mercenary, which the original author ported for the PC; a whopping half a meg zip file for all three games in the series. I've only ever played the first and never got that deeply into it.
    - I remember me 64 took several minutes to install it (1st game) off the 360meg floppy, and took up all the onboard ram of the puta.
    - Will be transporting my self to the surface of Targ during break times while working on me book.
    Download page if anyone's interested

Cave Troll and Tralala like this.
  9. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Missing my poplar, bronze, and double pedal.
    I need to save up for a new kit, so I can enjoy
    the workout and rhythm again. :(

Tralala likes this.
  10. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    I have made pine smoke when drilling it, so I think it is the intense friction
    of the ordeal that is causing the smoking effect.
    Maybe a silicone based lubricant on the drill bit would cut down on the
    smoking factor when drilling wood perhaps? o_O

Tralala likes this.
  11. EFMingo

Nah, you just need the right tip. It needs to dig in harder and tear at the wood. The smoking comes mostly from much of the torque being lost to slipping. Friction from slipping on the same bits of wood compacted raise the temperature and cause the smoke.

Tralala, Some Guy and Iain Aschendale like this.
  12. minstrel

Frustration. Did a lot of cooking earlier in the week, so I had a huge pile of dirty dishes. I finally managed to get them all loaded into the dishwasher and they're getting clean as I type. Maid only comes on Fridays, and I usually plan my cooking so she gets to clean up, but I got too ambitious this week and oh my god I had to do it myself (first world problems, but I have the excuse of bad knees, so it's painful for me, hence the expense of the maid).

If only I could afford a maid to clean up my prose. But alas, no such luck... ;)

Now I'm staring an afternoon's worth of errands in the face, hoping they'll do themselves or go away or something, but argh life doesn't work that way argh. I want to step out the back door and howl, but even that involves putting on my socks and shoes (zeroth world problems) and argh why are things so difficult? I almost wish I was still a drinking man, a lush, a hard-livin' dipsomaniac poundin' the alcohol until my skin turns rubber and I puke my liver out through my nose, but argh, I gave that all up years ago to live the life of asceticism. Asceticism isn't all it's cracked up to be. It's actually tough. If I had spare cash, I'd hire someone to be ascetic for me. If I hired a really good ascetic, he could get my whole day's worth of asceticism done in just a couple of hours, leaving me free to go back to watching American Ninja Warrior on TV.

Anyway, right now I'm finishing off a ginger beer and then I have to confront the aforementioned errands. If my darn roomie would get a new driver's license and register his car here in Washington, he could do the errands every once in a while, but he keeps finding excuses to not do that. He'd be driving me up the wall, except it's not legal for him to drive. I have to drive myself up the wall because of him. At least we have short walls. Trump would not be pleased with our walls.

Now I'm talking about Trump. See what you made me do?

Tralala, NoGoodNobu, Some Guy and 2 others like this.
  13. EFMingo

I'm contemplating getting a maid as well. My legs are quite terrible and I'm constantly moving around to different places. I get far behind on cleaning. Is it worthwhile? Are you concerned about thievery or no?

Tralala likes this.
  14. minstrel

I think it's worthwhile. I'm kind of a slob and so's my roommate, and the house would become unlivable pretty quickly without a maid giving it some regular attention. I hired a reputable maid service. They send the same maid every Friday, so we have a decent relationship by now and I trust her. Not concerned about thievery.

Note: I tip her pretty generously (I tip everyone pretty generously) so she's inclined to treat me well. I find that valuable.

Tralala, Some Guy and EFMingo like this.
  15. EFMingo

Thanks. My house is quite a mess. I may have to tip pretty well due to the state its in right now. Not disgusting, just needs some serious picking up.

To think I use to be so industrious in the cleaning respect...

Tralala likes this.
  16. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    That's some damn funny writing though, so you got that going for you, which is nice.

Tralala, NoGoodNobu, Some Guy and 3 others like this.
  17. NoGoodNobu

NoGoodNobu Contributor Contributor

Guess who found a litter of four burrito sized mewing kittens and one short, rail-thin adolescent cat when she just wanted to rush to the nearest store for milk or ice cream from accidentally eating something secretly coated in ghost pepper sauce?

. . . guess who now has 5 adorable kitties she’s now going to have to search for missing posters, post found posters, or else find homes for?

Some Guy, EFMingo, Tralala and 3 others like this.
  18. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Reading Michael Crichton’s ‘The Andromeda Evolution’ and it’s starting to strain my suspension of disbelief.

Long story short, a group of four scientists and their native guides are in the Amazon Rainforst to locate the source of the new Andromeda plague. During their journey, they’re attacked by a hunting party belonging to a nearby uncontacted tribe. After a hellish night of fighting, the only survivors are the four scientists and a little ten-year-old boy named Tupa of said hunting party.

Now, the characters had made it *very clear* before this that you’re not supposed to so much as *look* at a member of an Uncontacted Tribe, much less talk to them. Well, our illustrious scientists decided to program a drone to figure out how to speak in Tupa’s language and not only do they engage in friendly conversation, Tupa (who I remind you was in that hunting party so thoroughly wrecked the night before) cheerfully agrees to help them. What’s even more jarring is that one of them is starting to let his emotions get in the way, the narrative implying that he’s beginning to see Tupa as the child he never had. Meanwhile they’re asking this ten-year-old to please guide them to the source of this Andromeda strain that may or may not kill everyone.

Their only defense is that they are lost in a dense wilderness with nary a local guide to help them. -_- Apparently logic is overrated for these characters.

Tralala and Cave Troll like this.
  19. Earp

Earp Contributor Contributor

Just started reading that book yesterday, and haven't got to that scene yet, but it doesn't surprise me. For the record, since Crichton has been dead for eleven years, it was written by someone else, but I do like the way the author refers back to The Andromeda Strain events.

EFMingo, Tralala and Cave Troll like this.
  20. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Well, that changes things. :O

21. Moon

Moon Contributor Contributor

Bored. Arm/hand is keeping me from writing, but at least I can read. Eh. It seems my one handed typing skill I obtained as a teen is gone.....

Some Guy and Cave Troll like this.
  22. EFMingo

Lucky kittens to have found so kind a soul.

Cave Troll likes this.
  23. OmniTense

OmniTense Active Member

I am searching for something new to obsess over. Currently accepting suggestions...

-SIN

Some Guy likes this.
  24. NoGoodNobu

NoGoodNobu Contributor Contributor

I’m a sucker for animals.

Besides, all my cats have been rescued feral kittens so when these pathetic lovebugs run out in front of my parked car, shoving against me and mewing plaintively in the dark early evening in notorious coyote & raccoon territory—I’ve got to gently place them in my car and take ‘em back.

Unfortunately I don’t know if they carry anything, so they’re being kept separate from my cats in a different room. Got a biggish crate, put a small spare litter box in it and two bowls for food and water attached to the wiring, then disinfected my hands and arms, threw my clothes in the wash, then tried to play it off like my babies have nothing to worry about.

Namir & Kailea both smothered me last night, so I assume they’re on to me. . .

Some Guy and EFMingo like this.
  25. EFMingo

Very cute. Yeah, you need to watch out for all the parasites and infections. Well, I just think it's very nice of you to be willing to take that responsibility, even if it is a norm for you. That fact just makes you even better, really.

Cats will always know what you've been doing. You can't completely mask the subtle smells.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.