What Are You Doing?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Carly Berg, Jan 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Some Guy

Some Guy Manguage Langler Supporter Contributor

Hence my story of the total destruction of and the remaking of society and the world. Talk about control issues! :D
    Convincingly:
    Destroy the foundations of our modern sociology. Destroy everything higher than 30 inches within a matter of hours. Extend the destruction at a ground depth of up to 1500 meters. Kill 8 of every 9 people in the world. Sterilize all cities and neighborhoods by massive thermal detonation. Shatter the single-family model. Shatter the single-minded human nature. Shatter personal/all property models. Shatter all corruption. Make clothing deadly to wear. Make sexuality the only human pleasure and expression, thus establishing an innate and intimate community bond.
    *deep breath*
    Save and shelter remaining humanity in thirty days. Feed the starving masses. Rewrite the Constitution. Appoint a Tyrant (against his will). Minimize new infrastructure footprint. Maximize infrastructure efficiency. Eliminate human transportation. Eliminate energy usage (yes, eliminate usage). Globally connect individual realtime communication instantaneously and permanently. Eliminate money, barter, and trade. De-centralize... everything. Have humanity thriving within two generations. All this at the absolute insistence of every remaining human.
    *heaves another breath*
    Prove that it could be done here and now, with the resources and technology at hand (greatly reduced), without destruction, war, de-population, or any kind of harm to any human. And, every human on the planet would be happy about it, because they knew we could do it.
    Peace of cake! It's been fun so far! :D

2. NoGoodNobu

NoGoodNobu Contributor Contributor

Sorry I’m dense, but for the life of me I can’t understand what you’re saying. I do have a migraine throbbing behind one eye, so maybe that’s contributing to my dumbness although I wouldn’t put it past just my general intelligence.

I just personally find the 2006 film Penelope fascinating as a reimagining and reframing of Homer’s Odyssey, where the titular character is a combination of Odysseus, Telemachus, and her original namesake, Penelope. They take the oral epic poem and transform it into a fairy tale frame work, which itself is from an oral storytelling tradition.

The story of male hero Odysseus fighting and conniving and struggling against outside forces to return home changes in the film to that of the female protagonist Penelope trying to escape the confines of home to experience the world outside. It maintains elements of the threes stories, with Telemachus’ coming of age & making his name and longsuffering Penelope beset by suitors, at times encouraging but also antagonistic & sabotaging of the courtships.

It changes the giant cyclops to a vengeful blinded dwarf, the royal aristocracy to modern blue bloods, capricious & horny nymph/sorceress into a grieving witch who lost her daughter & unborn grandchild by the callous vanity of social group, et cetera.

It takes so much from the source material yet simultaneously so alters it that sometimes it’s hard to recognise to a casual viewer. Unlike more traditionally straightforward retellings like O Brother Where Art Thou where , after years of being kept prisoner, a vainglorious silvertongued gentleman has to survive, thwart, and escape various misadventures in order to get home & stop his wife from marrying another man.

I don’t know, I’ve just always wanted to really talk to someone about this movie. But this film, though more in my thoughts, is more difficult to pinpoint what I personally am trying to say than a film like Heathers where I know exactly what my point is an how best to bolster it.

3. Some Guy

Some Guy Manguage Langler Supporter Contributor

Sounds like it's stretched pretty thin. Did they even do the part where she tells Odysseus she moved the bed?

4. Lemie

Lemie Contributor Contributor

We're going to IKEA today :cheerleader:

Xander17 likes this.
  5. NoGoodNobu

NoGoodNobu Contributor Contributor

No, because film Penelope IS Odysseus & Telemachus & Penelope rolled into a single character.

She’s the adventuring hero, having unbelievable things happen to her that framed within the narrative she herself is telling to a rapt, credulous audience.

She’s the long suffering heiress, clever but trapped in frustrating paralysis in being constantly beset by myriads of suitors solely after her fortune.

She’s the young adult who must throw off the protection and authority of her mother, run out into the world to learn and to experience without her mother’s knowledge or blessing as she matures into who she needs to be.

The film Penelope is so interesting, not because it’s just a by-the-books adaptation or modern retelling, but for the very reason that they took so much of the core of it and so transformed it into the guise of a modern fairy tale.

They took a very masculine tradition of oral storytelling with Male heroes & agency and transformed it into a more female tradition of oral storytelling with a female heroine learning to take agency.

The many changes to me are what’s so fascinating—because I went to see a silly chick flick romance with magical elements and was absolutely surprised to see so much The Odyssey.

It’s interesting because the changes seem intentioned and thematically significant, in the vein of 10 Things I Hate About You (Taming of the Shrew) and less Ella Enchanted, an adaptation of the book that reimagined Cinderella story but then transformed THAT to look & feel like Shrek because Shrek made monies right?

Xander17 and Dogberry's Watch like this.
  6. Dogberry's Watch

Dogberry's Watch Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2023

I found that a wonderful read, @NoGoodNobu , thank you.

---

I ... am moping.

NoGoodNobu likes this.
  7. EFMingo

EFMingo A Modern Dinosaur Supporter Contributor

Any particular reason? Or just not having it today?

8. Dogberry's Watch

Dogberry's Watch Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2023

It was a build up throughout the past few weeks, and today just feels like a day to be all Victorian and roam the house without purpose.

NoGoodNobu likes this.
  9. EFMingo

I think that was yesterday for me. There were many things to do, yet I wandered aimlessly around the house mad that there were so many things to do. It was a very stupid day actually.

10. Dogberry's Watch

As I've reached my old age of 31, I've decided that the days where I feel like this, I won't consider them bad days, only days I need to stop being a person for a moment and be a blorp. They're not bad, they're not good, just days.

EFMingo likes this.
  11. EFMingo

I guess that's a better way to look at it. Hard to do though. I pay today and tomorrow for what I left yesterday.

12. Dogberry's Watch

Sometimes, I feel like our brains require a hard restart, and I think it's important to allow that, even if it means we get a backlog of things. Lord knows my laundry still isn't folded and I'm still not folding it today, but I am listening to what it feels like I do need.

13. EFMingo

I hate folding laundry. I have no idea why, but I always get inordinately hot while folding laundry and I really hate sweating. I understand what you're saying. It .makes sense.

14. Dogberry's Watch

I'd rather clean out the gutters than fold laundry, haha. I get hot, too! I thought I was the only person like that!

EFMingo likes this.
  15. EFMingo

Definitely, even in the winter. Yard work is always preferable to laundry. Sometimes it's pretty fun actually.

Dogberry's Watch likes this.
  16. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

Why fold laundry? It doesn't make it any cleaner. I just take mine out of the dryer and heap it on top of my spare desk.

When my renovations are done, I'll have a closet! That will be a life-changing experience.

Cave Troll and Dogberry's Watch like this.
  17. EFMingo

I do like having it fit nicely in drawers, and I can't go to work with wrinkled clothes.

And yes, that will be.

Cave Troll likes this.
  18. Xander17

Xander17 Hermit Archetype Supporter Contributor

I think anyone on a Know Thyself journey is a pioneering explorer. For the individual is the only one who can take that inner journey and will be the first to venture within.

As one travels, one can become quite adept and knowledeable, but I see no benefit in becoming a tour guide for others into one's own being, as one would be encouraging others to take their own"personal odyssey".

Thus it seems to me the seasoned inner traveller will only find use of sharing personal discoveries as inspiration for others to take sail and discover themselves. And not so much on what they found, but how and why.

"Who gets up early to discover the moment light begins? Who comes to a spring thirsty, and finds the moon reflected in it? Who, like Jacob, blind with grief and age, smells the shirt of his lost son and can see again? Jesus slips into a house to escape enemies, and opens a door to the other world. But don't be satisfied with poems and stories of how things have gone with others. Unfold your own myth, without complicated explanations." - Rumi

19. Cilogical

Cilogical Banned

Hiding.

Cave Troll likes this.
  20. OmniTense

OmniTense Active Member

Home early. So gonna macerate ingredients for a Fruit Cake with some Brandy and Rum and Free Cuba with the rest.

-SIN

Cave Troll and Dogberry's Watch like this.
  21. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

Drawers make it smell funny.

Cave Troll likes this.
  22. Xander17

˜confused˜
    You said this...
    ..then I asked these...
    Where shall you look?
    Do you know if this version exists or are you merely projecting what you'd like to be?
    If this version doesn't exist, we humans are known throughout the universe for being quite adept at creating.

I don't understand your answer in regards to your search for a cooler you.
    Please help me, Some Guy, you're my only hope.

23. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Little of this, little of that.
    Maybe some late night writing, when I
    seem best at getting the words on the page. :p

Xander17 likes this.
  24. Xander17

Awoke at 3 am. That's been a long time coming, though chemically induced as I ate something in the middle of the day that slowly crept up on me over a long period and I awoke around 9pm, low grade throbbing head and mildly upset gizzards.
    Had a shower, still felt 'unable to sleep peacefully' unsettled, thus took my current self created concoction of pharmas and headed off to zonked out land.
    Had dreams of:
    - hangin' out with a trannie who has no intention of surgery.
    - a nightmare about cornicing. All dreams thus far about cornicing have been nightmares. This one doubled as was also accused by family members regarding the occupation.
    - another one with mythical qualities but I cannot recall it.

7am. Breakie has been defrosting. Time to unplug and eat.

Cave Troll likes this.
  25. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    That is an interesting one, had to look up what that was,
    and it's not the weirdest thing to have nightmares about.
    Though it is fascinating that there is actually a definition
    to a word that means.
    noun: cornice; plural noun: cornices
    1. 1.
      an ornamental molding around the wall of a room just below the ceiling.
      • a horizontal molded projection crowning a building or structure, especially the uppermost member of the entablature of an order, surmounting the frieze.
    2. 2.
      an overhanging mass of hardened snow at the edge of a mountain precipice.
    I certainty learned something new today, word wise. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.