What Are You Doing?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Carly Berg, Jan 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sark1986

Sark1986 Active Member

Just got off the god damn phone trying to convince the back that advertising costs for the new book were not the result of scams but as part of the expenses of being an author and running my own business
    Oh well - at least I have access to my money now as Australia prepares to go into full COVID19 lockdown.

Cave Troll likes this.
  2. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Is it considered a business in Australia? In the US, I would think they'd consider it under the independent contractor umbrella, which is not protected under unemployment. But I have no idea... any US authors come up against this yet?

Kinzvlle likes this.
  3. Dogberry's Watch

Dogberry's Watch Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2023

My parents are working from home now and I don't know if their internet can handle it.

4. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Listening to Seals & Crofts.

I love their granola sound.

Kinzvlle and Cave Troll like this.
  5. flawed personality

flawed personality Contributor Contributor

Watching my way through my DVD collection. I don't think 76 discs will last me very long, as I binge watch.

6. Dogberry's Watch

Dogberry's Watch Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2023

Selling my soul for the cost of one small potato.

7. flawed personality

flawed personality Contributor Contributor

That sounds like either a brainteaser, or a writing prompt. :p

8. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

Or a clue from a cryptic crossword.

9. Kinzvlle

Kinzvlle At the bottom of a pit Contributor

Most Irish shit I`ve ever heard of. I approve.

There`s an speculative historical fiction in there somewhere. A potato farmer makes a desperate deal to help his farm survive during the great famine and now goes on a hair raising journey into the world of the occult to save his soul from hell.

It`ll be called "The Devils Potato!" Mark Sheppard will star in the film adaption.

OT: Eating fig newtons and not much else so far. So far I`ve just walked the dogs, made pancakes, and napped alot today. Should at least get the partial unemployment thing started today.

N.Scott, Catrin Lewis, OurJud and 4 others like this.
  10. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

I've been experimenting with card holders / wallets for the last few days and finally settled on this design. There's a card slot on the left that will take up to two cards (three at a pinch), that also serves as a cash holder, and a flap on the right for receipts etc. I don't normally like the look of stud fasteners, but quite like them here.

I have a long way to come with my leather craft, and my stitching still leaves a lot to be desired, but even this effort will outlive any of the mass produced commercial wallets out there.

wallet_fasteners.png wallet_fasteners_closed.png

11. Dogberry's Watch

Picking up the pieces now, slowly but surely. It'll come together again.

12. Sark1986

Sark1986 Active Member

ITs a big grey area - but I'm pretty sure in Australia its can count as a sole trader business? It just depends, it is certainly taxed as such

Homer Potvin and Kinzvlle like this.
  13. Sark1986

Sark1986 Active Member

One chapter done for the day and at least one more two go... but I need coffee first

Dogberry's Watch likes this.
  14. Kinzvlle

Eating potatoes. That seems to be a theme here. Kinda slept the morning away, still kinda hitting the goalposts of my routine though. I haven`t changed my clothes yet today though. Still having trouble bringing myself to do quite anything. Feel like I`m wasting all this extra time but maybe what I need to do is just use to rest and try to work on my mental health. Need to not feel like that`s a failure, and unproductive.

Idk, we`ll see what I get up to today. I do wanna make hot choclate.

15. Homer Potvin

Yup. Here too. Haha. Only I believe independent contractors pay their taxes through a supplemental 1099 form at the end of the year (or make quarterly "contributions"), instead of through the standard W4/W2... which would mean they don't have an employer paying into the employment pool. At least I think that's how it works.

Honestly, I've stopped caring. The entire RI unemployment office has crashed in every sense of the word. Website is toast, the phone number has been disconnected, and virtually none of the 30K workers who applied last week has gotten so much as a confirmation email to start the payment process. Hence, no money for anyone. The state is nearly bankrupt anyway, so fuck it. Seriously.

Iain Aschendale and Kinzvlle like this.
  16. Kinzvlle

PA`s site keeps crashing every time I try to apply for partial unemployment. Was not built for this.

17. Homer Potvin

No shit. Gov't websites crash all the time on a normal day.

Like I said... long hair, don't care. I'm ready to skip self-isolation and graduate to self-immolation at this point. Of course, I'd probably screw it up and just leave myself horribly scared and incapable of eating solid food.

18. Malisky

Malisky Malkatorean Contributor

Watching photoshop tutorials. Decided I got the time to get accustomed in using Bamboo. Yep. The whole thing is gonna be created digitally. Wish me luck... and patience more importantly. I got inspired by the first page of Jo Nesbo's "The Son" and Imma draw Buddha Junkie Sonny.

19. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Nah, ya can't start with the face, ya gotta think of other
    places first. :D
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Some Guy likes this.
  20. Kinzvlle

Matching @Moon avatar.

Starting to feel human for the first time today finally. I mean not fully but getting there, talking to an old friend helped. Both in feeling connected to something...but there`s somethings you can only really talk to with other people who were also deeply traumatized as children....we`ve also known each other since the sixth grade so that may have helped. Letting myself fall apart isn`t per say a bad thing, I mean....it`s a bad time without the doomsday looming. Dad`s birthday at the end of the month, stepfather died in April back to back punches. Had to let it happen, think I`m now where I can pick the pieces up a bit and try to make the most of the rest of this quartine however long that is. While prioritizing self-care.

Feeling reinvigorated to write. Gotta focus on the things I can a lot of other things our just gonna have to wait until this is over.

21. Dogberry's Watch

Kinzville, your avatar made me almost scream with delight once I realized what it was.

On topic: I am staring into space. I do this a lot these days.

22. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    If you spot intelligent life out there, please share it with us. :)

23. Malisky

You're gonna make space blush. Don't just stare at it.

Back to mine: I'm starting to lose it already. My sketchbook is 3 feet away from me. My pencils are 1 arms length away... I shouldn't. I WON'T! Problem is I got a mere 2 gbs of ram and my pc semi-crashes now and them, making bamboo and ps malfunction. Seems that sketching with lag is a superpower I can't attain. F%$#@*. Anyways. Break's over. Initiating the damn, I mean lovely program again.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
  24. Some Guy

Some Guy Manguage Langler Supporter Contributor

Have you tried closing down apps before starting Bamboo? Especially browsers and social media (discord etc)

Kinzvlle likes this.
  25. Malisky

I only have youtube and this. I need music to stay motivated. And awake. It stopped crashing for now. I did a very rough rough and now I'm on line work, but god, this is frustrating! I've come to realize that sketching even basic lines at the right side (of the canvas) of the character is much more difficult. The hands look like crap.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.