What Are You Reading Now.

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Writing Forums Staff, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I'm currently reading V. by Thomas Pynchon.

So far, it's very interesting.

2. (Mark)

(Mark) New Member

Oh, nice, Pynchon is great. I've read The Crying of Lot 49, Gravity's Rainbow and most of Vineland. Gravity's Rainbow was really difficult, but I enjoyed Lot 49 and Vineland quite a bit.

I'm currently reading Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov. It's a very strange and sometimes disturbing book, but it's really well written.

3. Endeavour

Endeavour New Member

I'm reading The Rosary Girls by Richard Montanari. His writing style is simply awesome, succinct and yet cool. I've truly never seen such effective writing such as Montanari's. The story focuses on two Philadelphia (Philly) detectives - Kevin Byrne and Jessica Balzano - who's eluding serial killer they're after is fixated on Christian teenage girls. I'd say this book is a must read.

4. sweetpea

sweetpea New Member

I'm reading House by Frank Peretti and Ted Dekker. The only way out is in. Seven players, three rules, who will survive?
    "Welcome to my House. House rules: 1. God came to my house and I killed him. 2. I will kill anyone who enters my house like I killed God. 3. If you give me one dead body I might let rule 2 slide. Game over at dawn.
    I recommend this book to all.

5. Oasis Writer

Oasis Writer Contributor Contributor

House sounds very interesting.

I'm rereading through Jurassic Park.

6. Bick

Bick New Member

I read that a few grades back. It had some much Science in it, if I remember right.

I'm reading Rumo and his Miraculous adventure for about the 54th time. I now have 3 copies of the book. I got 2 of the hard cover off of half.com, one was suppose to be for my friend, but yeah. We aren't friends anymore. Not sure what do with that.

I'm also somewhat reading Doctor Zhivago, but that book is so hard to keep up with!

7. Oasis Writer

Yeah, a lot of science. Most of his books do. The only one I didn't really like was Timeline. It took too long to get into the action and by the time that I did, I had lost my interest completely.

8. Milady

Milady Active Member

I'm reading Catch-22 by Joseph Heller and The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini.

The first I picked up for the heck of it, since a lot of people say it's great. The last I'm reading pretty much for spite since my county's Board of Education made a big fuss over one "objectionable scene" and banned it (Thereby promoting it).

9. Raven

Raven Banned

Just started His Last Command. Written by Dan Abnett. Its the ninth book in the gaunts ghost series. So far its a cracker of a starter.

10. Odinschild

Odinschild New Member

Weapons of Choice, by... some author or other. Can't remember off the top of my head. Alternate history/ time travel/ WW2 book. Pretty good start, so far.

11. Oasis Writer

Working my way through the Dictionary by...Webster? :p lol

12. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Alternating between:
    Draco's Tavern by Larry Niven
    and
    S is for Silence by Sue Grafton

13. lessa

lessa New Member

3 books on the go
    bedroom book Aurian by maggie Furey

Fanglith John Dalmas

couch book is by Mercedes Lackey it is the second in a trilogy and can't remember the title.

each one is pretty good.

14. Oasis Writer

Working on a friends novel they wrote. Up to Chapter Seven. Pretty good stuff. :)

15. Darkthought

Darkthought Active Member

Trudging through The Fires of Heaven by the late great Robert Jordan.

16. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

I'm reading the complete works of William Shakespeare...again. I find he gives me a lot of inspiration.

17. Titania

Titania New Member

I just recently began reading 100 Years of Solitude, by Gabriel García Márquez. Technically it's for AP Lit, but I'm reading for enjoyment also - finding it very interesting so far, if a bit hard to keep track of at times.

18. nburwell

nburwell New Member

At the moment, I am either reading books about the publishing: The Business of Books by Claudia Suzanne, Literary Terms and Literary Theory, How to Get a Literary Agent by Michael Larsen, Beyond the Bookstore by Richard Curtis, and Kirsch's Handbook of Publishing Law (along with a few other books on how to write a book proposal) or books containing Greek Myths: Greek Literature in Translation, Complete Greek Drama, Volumes 1&2, Argonautica by Apollonius Rhodius, and The Portable Greek Reader. I have also added approx, 10 (so far) books to my wish list on amazon that contain translated Greek Myths. I am still researching.

I read different parts of these at different times because I often get bored doing one thing for too long. (Not ADD, just Bipolar...)

That's what I'm reading right now. :redface:

~Natalie

19. Nodin

Nodin New Member

I am currently reading Hot House Kids - The Dilemma of the Gifted Child by Alissa Quart. I purchased the book because it has information about individuals that I am researching, and too, because Amazon had the hardback edition super cheap. ;)

Alissa Quart is an excellent writer that won several writing awards as a child. The first half of the book has nicely written descriptions of numerous individuals that Quart interviewed. The descriptions are structured in a feminine voice, which is to be expected since Quart is a woman, but some readers might view Quart's style as being a little too close to gossip-chatter. Nevertheless, Quart's work is very good (Penguin books usually does not publish bad authors).

I am currently entering into the latter half of the book where I hope to find in-depth comments of specific individuals. I use slips of paper to write notes while I read books so that I can later reference specific page numbers of where an author made serious mistakes or presented unique information. So far, I have only found one minor error and the probability of one serious error. Compared to most non-fiction biography-style books that require many slips of papers with notes, Hot House Kids appears to be heads above most all others with only one slip of paper and a few notes.

The primary benefit of the book is that it is written by a child prodigy who voices her own personal view of what it was like for her to grow up talented. Biographies typically invent and/or sensationalize stories about the main characters, and so it is highly valued to read the thoughts of a person who has actually lived the life of the book's topic.

20. wildflower

wildflower New Member

I am just starting to read the Wideacre trilogy by Philipa Gregory. Since I have only read the first chapter I will save the review LOL.

I have read two of her other works: the Other Boylen Girl and the Boylen Inheritance which were great reads so looking forward to reading this one!

21. CDRW

CDRW Contributor Contributor

I am reading The Year's Best Science Fiction from 2006. It's actually not as good as i hoped. Too many of the stories have cop-out endings.

22. KissMeGoodBye

KissMeGoodBye New Member

I read Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll. I read it in German and now I wanted the original ^^
    I admire such children books. It gives my a possibility to think about our reality and the one in the book. Alice is asking a lot of interesting questions which are making me think.

23. Sugar N. Spice

Sugar N. Spice New Member

I'm reading "The Freedom Writers' Diary" by Erin Gruwell and the Freedom Writers. It's about how a bunch of ghetto kids in LA change their ways with the help of their English teacher. It's actually very interesting, and I know that most of the stuff is true because I lived in LA at one point.

24. Mordecai

Mordecai New Member

just picked up Stephen King's new book Duma Key earlier today, still haven't started though.

25. Gannon

Gannon Contributor Contributor

I've three on the go, the reread of 1984, Jean-Dominique Bauby's Diving Bell and The Butterfly, and Marcus Chown's introduction to Quantuum Physics - all recommended, all very different to one another!