What Are You Reading Now.

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Writing Forums Staff, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Elandriel

Elandriel New Member

I'm currently reading a book called "The Glass Bead Game" by Hermann Hesse, a german writer who received the Nobel prize in 1946. It's an interesting read. The setting is central Europe around the year 2500. By means of a political decision this region of central Europe called "Castalia" had been cut of and isolated for about two hundred years. Castalia is an intellectual paradise. Socio-economic influence from the outside world is completely cut off and politics are not in the spotlight. The only thing that matters in Castalia is education and the pursuit of knowledge. It's like a small country with nothing but Ivy league Universities and research centers. People are raised and trained to study, read and write their entire lives- not aware that they live in a very privileged bubble of existence; oblivious to what is going on in the outside world. The elite among the elite in Castalia play a game called the glass bead game. The aim of the game is to forge links between distinct fields of human knowledge. For example, one might try and relate a piece of music by J.S. Bach to a mathematical formula.

I'm about half way through the book. It isn't action-packed or fast paced but it's good. It's well written and the world is well developed. The plot follows the main character, Joseph Knecht, from childhood to adulthood. He holds an important office within this isolated state and at the point where I am reading is slowly beginning to realize that he and his peers are in quite the ivory tower. He seems to be inclined to discover what is going on in the rest of the world.

I highly recommend this book. Has anyone read it?

2. Lonely Shadow

Lonely Shadow Member

The 11th House Of Night novel.

3. hirundine

hirundine Contributor Contributor

Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring.

More specifically, the second half of the book, doing a character study on Boromir as research for my novel. I have a character who is quite different and in a very different situation, but goes through a similar development arc, and I wanted to study a really good example of how it's done.

4. Krispee

Krispee Contributor Contributor

They are good books but people often struggle with the older style english. I`m not sure I will read them again.

5. Osprey

Osprey Member

Recently finished Stephen King's IT, one of those books I'd always wanted to read but had never gotten around to. Was surprised by how much I loved it. I haven't read a ton of Stephen King but every time I pick up one of his books I usually end up really liking it.

Now reading Abaddon's Gate by James S.A. Corey. This is book 3 of the Expanse. I actually got about halfway through the second book in this series before I realized there was a TV adaptation. I'm carefully avoiding the show (which I've heard mixed things about) because I don't want it to corrupt my mental image of the characters or setting, all of which I really like.

Krispee likes this.
  6. Rani99

Rani99 Member

" Post Office " by Charles Bukowski. Love his style.

7. Krispee

I`ve read the first of the three, and enjoyed it. The tv series is based just on the first book only. I think they are going to follow the books, if they get another series. I started watching the series on Netflix and I quite like it.

Osprey likes this.
  8. Osprey

Osprey Member

Yeah, I am definitely going to check out the show at some point. I did notice that Amazon put it up on prime sometime since the new year; hopefully they'll keep it there for a bit. It's just that once I see a movie/tv show, I can't help but picture those actors in the roles when I read the books. Which isn't a deal-breaker or anything, just not my preference.

Still, I just now looked it up and there are apparently six books in the sequence, with three more planned... so I'll most likely surrender to curiosity and watch the show long before I'm done with the novels.

Krispee likes this.
  9. Krispee

Six, didn`t know there were that many, I too will have to try the next one. I agree, in general I wouldn`t want to watch a film or series before reading the book, it does tend to alter your view of the characters.

Osprey likes this.
  10. Robert Musil

Robert Musil Comparativist Contributor

The Meditations of Marcus Aurelius. Figured I could use some more Stoicism in my life. He originally wrote them as a sort of personal diary, not for consumption, and you can tell--it's very informal, repeats itself a lot etc. But there are some good bits, a bit stodgy language because the free translation on Project Gutenberg was probably written in like 1909 or something.

11. GeorgiaMasonIII

GeorgiaMasonIII Member

I actually tried mightily, but could not get into the Pern series. That was several years ago, though; maybe I should give Pern another try.

12. GeorgiaMasonIII

GeorgiaMasonIII Member

I just finished re-reading Sunshine by Robin McKinley, my favorite piece of vampire literature besides Fledgling by Octavia Butler. Right now I'm reading The Kill Order by James Dashner because the Maze Runner series grabs me by the shirt and sucks me in like few other series have done. It's depressing as hell, though; I don't know how much re-read value there is in that series for me simply because of the depressing factor. I'll probably keep re-reading Sunshine (and Fledgling), though; my copy of Sunshine is already falling apart!

13. Krispee

Just finished Career Of Evil by J K Rowling, now I`m on to some of Ted Chiang`s short stories, then probably back to the Chaos Walking trilogy I got for Christmas.

14. Youssef Salameh

Youssef Salameh Senior Member

Greetings, a couple of weeks ago, I finished reading a a very interesting book called the phantom ship, written by Captain Fredrick Marryat. It talks about a son who searches for his father who was doomed by being entrapped forever in an ancient phantom sea vessel .
    The son's mission was to reach that ship and set his father free.
    But its a great story. I enjoyed reading it very much.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
  15. Youssef Salameh

Youssef Salameh Senior Member

Am currently reading the God father book. Written by the Great late author "Mario Puzzo".

16. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

I just began Tales of Nevèrÿon (a perversely unspellable title) by Samuel R. Delany. Delany has an amazing imagination and an advanced prose style, both of which I appreciate.

Steerpike likes this.
  17. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

She wrote a Blue Oyster Cult biography?

Spencer1990 likes this.
  18. Spencer1990

Spencer1990 Contributor Contributor

Uprooted by Naomi Novik.

Haven't read a whole lot of fantasy, but this one is pretty good.

Although between school/work/new baby, my reading time has all but dried up, so it might take a while to get through it.

Steerpike likes this.
  19. Steerpike

I liked that one.

Spencer1990 likes this.
  20. Spencer1990

Have you read her Temeraire stuff? I was thinking about picking up the first one, but as fantasy is not generally my cup of tea, I'm worried sentient dragons won't do it for me. :D

21. Steerpike

I tried the first one, but honestly I didn't like it. I started it twice and both times gave up halfway, which is one reason I was surprised at how much I liked Uprooted. That said, I know people who love the Temeraire books.

Spencer1990 likes this.
  22. Spencer1990

What was it that turned you off about the book?

Also, have you read Ann Lemke's Ancillary Justice?

23. Steerpike

I don't know what turned me off, exactly. I didn't find the characters or story very interesting.

Ancillary Justice is in my to-read pile :)

Spencer1990 likes this.
  24. Spencer1990

I started Ancillary Justice and wound up putting it down, but I'm going to give it another shot after Uprooted in hopes that the the story actually starts.

I think I had a problem with it because there's a ton of exposition to start the novel, more than would be acceptable in other genres. I'm thinking it may be a case of me just not being accustomed to that kind of exposition and backstory right from the gate.

Steerpike likes this.
  25. OJB

OJB A Mean Old Man Contributor

Language of a new Century, A poetry Analogy of poems from Asia and the Middle East.