What Are You Reading Now.

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Writing Forums Staff, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    She'd just squander it anyway, you know how those people are.

2. NoGoodNobu

NoGoodNobu Contributor Contributor

Or you know, borrow the book or purchase a copy

Me, personally, I like to feed my artists. If a songs good enough to listen to, they're good enough to pay for. Same with books and movies and all that

The only things I ever illegally downloaded was foreign music when it was impossible to get legal copies in the US—but I'd purchase it the moment they were finally available stateside (or I was in the country of origin & snagged a copy). Thankfully with the internet & other modern conveniences, it's really easy to come by legal copies of obscure works.

I'm currently rereading Harry Potter over AmazonPrime—apparently I can read books for free because of my accidental membership.

Otherwise, there's always the good old fashioned way—check it out from a library or borrow it from someone you know.

My brother technically took all my Harry Potter books back with him to London—it's okay, 'cause I'm gonna ask him to buy me those books from there since I dislike my American editions.

I remember distinctly the first time I read it there was mention of "trainers" and "snogging." Suddenly I see "sneakers" and who knows what they replaced snogging with—"making-out" perhaps?

Also I think the American edition spells out race more explicitly.

So I'm hoping I can read the English editions to compare against my memories & these current American editions.

truthbeckons and BayView like this.
  3. dbesim

dbesim Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor

Oh really? He, he. I know what you mean about the British/American variations. You can see it in the title eg Harry Potter and the Sorceror's Stone v Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone. I read most of my books from my library Overdrive account. It's amazing this Internet revolution because you've got everything accessible at the touch of a button and you don't even have leave your house to get it. Also, it's important that good literature is accessible to everyone and including working class people who don't have time to read. Some people probably don't have the internet and need to access it at the library. Others don't use the Internet at all. You could access a lot of classical literature online including poems and older works and I think that's fabulous. The last thing I looked up was poems by William Blake :)

4. Jupie

Jupie Senior Member

Somehow I ended up paying three months worth for Amazon Kindle -- and I didn't even know I'd signed up for it! I appreciate that makes me sound thick, but it was a real surprise when I saw £24 out my account across that time. I had probably thought it was just to do with reading for free online. Sucks to be me, eh.

I'm reading Bartimaeus: Rings of Solomon at the moment. Some quick-witted fun thrown in there and amusing commentaries.

dbesim likes this.
  5. outsider

outsider Contributor Contributor

I believe if you sign up for the one month's free trial and don't cancel before the period is up, you are effectively subscribed. Had the same thing until a strongly worded email rectified the problem.:rolleyes:

6. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

I'm reading The Sorcerer's Legacy by Janny Wurts. It's appalling but I can't stop because I promised a friend I'd read it--I said I'd read a fantasy of her choice if she read a horror of mine.

dbesim likes this.
  7. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

Is your friend Janny Wurts? Is the full title Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Legacy? 'Cause it sounds like it should be. :p

Tenderiser likes this.
  8. Tenderiser

She isn't, and she said this was a pretty well-known/popular book in its day? Published 1982, apparently.

I wish it was Harry Potter because then at least it would be entertaining. :cry:

9. Millamber

Millamber Senior Member

Currently reading Dunstan by Conn Iggulden. Really really enjoying it at the moment. His historical fiction books are always excellent.

outsider likes this.
  10. outsider

outsider Contributor Contributor

The Conqueror series about Genghis Khan was excellent.

11. Eva Vane

Eva Vane New Member

Rereading the Discworld series by Terry Pratchett. No matter how many times I reread his books, I keep being swept away in his amazing fantasy world.

12. MachineGryphon

MachineGryphon Member

Dark Moon by David Gemmell at the moment. It was at the recommendation of a friend and so far it's been decent. I very rarely read fantasy so it's something a bit different. I have to be honest and say it's taking a while to read it however. While I said it was decent and well-written, it hasn't gripped me as hard as the friend said it would.

13. Millamber

Millamber Senior Member

I haven't read that series, but I loved the Rome series and War of the Roses too... He's so good.
    If you haven't yet, give Dunstan a read. Highly recommend it.

14. Oscar Leigh

Oscar Leigh Contributor Contributor

Anyone know The Hawley Book of the Dead? I bought it last year. It's pretty good.

15. hirundine

hirundine Contributor Contributor

In The Path Of Destruction: Eyewitness Chronicles Of Mount St. Helens.

Research, yes, but volcanoes are my thing, so I would have read it anyway. If you're even remotely interested, read it. The eyewitness details are absolutely fascinating.

16. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    Beta reading, but it's going well.

17. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Beta Reading Joke.jpg

Iain Aschendale and Spencer1990 like this.
  18. Trina Lynne

Trina Lynne New Member

Just finished On Writing Well. Moving on to Jab Jab Jab Right Hook by Gary Vaynerchuk.

19. Shutterking

Shutterking New Member

Right now I'm stuck on 12 Kings of Sharakhai by Bradley B Beaulieu. Its a fantasy world set in a desert unlike anything I've ever read. Its 100% fantastic.

dbesim likes this.
  20. Tenderiser

I can't finish this - giving up at 32%.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  21. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

Anthony Ryan's Blood Song. Been on my TBR for ages, and as I felt like reading fantasy, decided to finally give this one a go.

My friend recommended it. She explained she thought she'd never enjoy a book with a manly man male protagonist, but apparently something weird happened and a book with a manly man male protagonist turned out to be good. Huh, go figure.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  22. Hwaigon

Hwaigon Senior Member

Second to the right, and straight on till morning.
    Two Years Eight Months and Twenty Eight Nights by Rushdie. Lots and lots of TBRs though.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  23. NobodySpecial

NobodySpecial Contributor Contributor

Just finished Stephen King's The Long Walk

24. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

Next on the list: Stephen King's The Long Book.

Right? RIGHT?

;)

Cave Troll likes this.
  25. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

She'd regret her £1million donation to Better Together ...but for all the wrong reasons. (Oh, my BAD...! :twisted:)

I have three books going just now. One is a beta read. Two is Annie Proulx's non-fictional Bird Cloud. Three is David Copp's Hungary: Its Fine Wines and Winemakers. (That last one is difficult to read because the book measures roughly 1 metre wide by 2 metres tall. It's more a dining table book than a coffee table book. I have to stroll back and forth across each page, in order to get each sentence read.)

Last edited: May 22, 2017
    Iain Aschendale likes this.