What Are You Reading Now.

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Writing Forums Staff, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Stormsong07

Stormsong07 Contributor Contributor

Yeah, I enjoy that too. It allows you to really get sucked into the story. Have you tried any of the TV series yet? I've started the first season but I'm not super impressed, honestly.

2. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

I started with the show, TBH. :) I've seen and enjoyed both seasons. So far the major plot points have been stuck to pretty well, though there are clear differences in when certain characters are introduced. Like under-secretary Chrisjen Avasarala is present in the show from the beginning, yet in the books she makes her first appearance after the events of Venus have already started. I thought she had a pretty saucy mouth in the show, but I'm realizing they toned her way down from how she is in the books. :ohno: :-D Also the way Sgt. Roberta Draper starts in the show is markedly different from how she starts in Caliban's War. I've not gotten to the part where she goes to Earth yet, so we'll see how things unfold in written form, but in the book, so far, no one doubts what she saw.

3. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

I didn't see this post until now. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

I finished BITE SOMEBODY ELSE, which was a treat.

I'm now re-reading THE RATS (James Herbert), and first-time reading THE CORNISH COAST MURDER (John Bude) and DIRTY (Kylie Scott). I haven't read THE RATS since I started writing and I'm wondering if my perception will have changed - a writer friend read it on my recommendation and said it was full of head-hopping and padding.

Does anyone else feel like they spend half their reading time deciding what to read??

4. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Made in China.
    60% Polyester 40% Cotton
    Hand wash only, in cold water.

(Whoo throw that bad boy in the Nuclear Oven on high for 30 minutes.)

5. Hitokiri

Hitokiri New Member

Now I read The Godfather of Kathmandu by John Burdett. I bought this book because all story is happend in Thailand, Tibet, China, and I would like to go to this places :) and also I like the story about murders. But I'm dissapointed. I was thinking that book will be better, but when I read that I had moment when I was bored.

6. Tenderiser

Finished THE CORNISH COAST MURDER. Disappointing ending - felt like the author wrote himself into a corner and had to concoct something to finish it which didn't quite fit the bill wonder if he was related to Stephen King

Started DRAKE by Peter McLean. A fantasy that I'm already enjoying very much! Will probably do a blog post about it to even out my rant against the Atrocious Fantasy that Shall Not Be Named.

Oscar Leigh and Iain Aschendale like this.
  7. Pauline

Pauline Member

How did you like Dirty? I've just finished Twist the follow up. I've recomended Kylie Scott to readers who've dissed romance -what I write- when they call the genre schmultzy. Her zombie love stories went down well. Anyway I'm reading Clem Ford's Fight Like A Girl

Tenderiser likes this.
  8. Tenderiser

I've only read a couple of chapters. I was kinda put off by

The hero's massive cock. I mean, she makes that thing sound like a baseball bat hanging between his legs and if there's one thing I don't want near my vagina, it's a baseball bat.

But I'm withholding judgement. People whose opinions I put a lot of store in have recommended it, so I will look past the sporting issue. :D

P.S. I write romance too. High five!

9. Pauline

Pauline Member

I forgot about the sup

10. Pauline

Pauline Member

I forgot about the super peen. I think its one of her things. :supershock: would be my reaction.

Tenderiser likes this.
  11. Samunderthelights

Samunderthelights Active Member

Giovanni's Room by James Baldwin. (Technically already finished it, but oh well.)

So far most classics I've read have been disappointing. So I was a bit nervous to read this one. But I really liked it. Very sad. Normally I would have hated this kind of ending, but it just seemed right for the story. So yeah, glad to have read this one.

12. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

Friedrich Kugelschreiber marshmallow Contributor

Some short stories by Katherine Mansfield. Pretty good so far, actually.

13. Cobra3010

Cobra3010 Member

Read Lord of the flies, reading Animal farm, and will read 1984.

14. Tenderiser

Just finished THE MYSTERIOUS AFFAIR AT STYLES, the first of Agatha Christie's Poirot books. This is a great study in POV - it's all in limited first, but it slowly becomes clear to the reader that the narrator's high opinion of himself is not shared by other people around him. At no point does the narrator realise that the other characters see him as a bit of a buffoon. Pretty masterful to show the reader something, in first, that the narrator never realises.

I'm now reading the Poirot short stories, which are narrated by the same person as in THE MYSTERIOUS AFFAIR. Christie has pretty obviously modelled him on Watson, with Poirot as Holmes.

I'm also reading THE HOPE by James Lovegrove. I read this years ago and it's always stuck with me. It's a novel but really a collection of short horror stories all set on a ship called The Hope, and the stories and characters interweave.

And I'm still reading DRAKE and DIRTY.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
    zoupskim likes this.
  15. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

BTW, I'm 2/3 of the way through Caliban's War and I can see where the end of season two of the show started to diverge significantly from the book. I'm now heading into reading territory that I don't think has been covered at all by the show to this point.

Stormsong07 likes this.
  16. zoupskim

zoupskim Contributor Contributor

Bravo, sir. Bravo.

I love monsieur Hercule Poirot. His prissy attention to detail is charming, and his moral code is astounding. Agatha Christie is an amazing artist.

Tenderiser likes this.
  17. nastyjman

nastyjman Senior Member

I'm 81% in It.

What a doorstop! But, man, is the book worth it. I think It is great because of the characters. You get to feel their development and really empathize with their growing pains (and horrors).

Jupie likes this.
  18. Tenderiser

Have you read the Sherlock Holmes stories? As soon as I read them, I realised how seminal they were - how many detectives since were modelled on him. Interestingly, Christie and Conan Doyle are both said to have hated their creations once they were famous. Conan Doyle even killed Holmes off and then had to bring him back when he was in financial trouble (IIRC). Unsure if Christie ever got rid of Poirot...

I plan to try Miss Marple next. :)

19. zoupskim

zoupskim Contributor Contributor

Sherlock is my favorite detective character, and series, probably because of how big it is, but it's so well done who can resist? My favorite detective story, is Poe's Murders in the Rue Morgue, just because it's in Poe's dark style.

I'm not saying a damn thing... but it's awesome.

Tenderiser likes this.
  20. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    Trying to work my way through The Nightmare Stacks, Charles Stross' new Laundry Files book. Unfortunately a) I'm swamped at work, which means that 15 minutes before I pass out, on alternate days, is about all I can manage (and that's a terrible way to read) and b) His MC for the first several books got overpowered (yes, I read that ongoing discussion), so he's had to swap the POV down to a new set of characters, and c) I skipped a book, The Annihilation Score, because it got pretty thoroughly trashed by his fans, and I'm trying not to spend money on things I won't enjoy, series continuity be damned.

21. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Oof... have a bottle of something handy.

Tenderiser and Jupie like this.
  22. Jupie

Jupie Senior Member

Stephen King writes kids really well, it's what I love most about him as a writer I think. I enjoyed It. Found it a bit long though. I also really like the Dark Tower Series if you've read that.

nastyjman likes this.
  23. Tenderiser

Old lady hater.

I've given up on DIRTY. I liked the writing but the hero is a creep and doesn't sound at all sexy.

Homer Potvin likes this.
  24. nastyjman

nastyjman Senior Member

I read The Dark Tower series first before It, and I am enjoying the connection between them.

"See the TURTLE, ain't he keen?"

Jupie likes this.
  25. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

I saw a movie poster for The Dark Tower at the theater the other day... got me excited for a minute or three.

Jupie likes this.