What Are You Reading Now.

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Writing Forums Staff, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Albeit

Albeit Active Member

Sitting in cue, ticket in hand (#A090), awaiting the screens to display my number in order to have blood and urine taken from the source which I believed was up until now made up of piss and vinegar, - to hell with it, I am reading "the creative process" which was edited (and not written) by Brewster Ghiselin (whoever he may have been).

Regardless, I wondered if my PSA would be high as last time as I watched a young woman next to me offer up the available washroom so I could "pee" in a cup and transfer it to a neat little test tube. I found her to be be very inciting, and also subtlety sweet for offering me the next available "restroom" for peeing into a plastic cup.
    She was no doubt young and able to hold her own, damn can life be sweet even while death awaits all of us somewhere/somehow.

It is all good.

So read a good book, avoid fatty foods and try to be nice to people.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
  2. NobodySpecial

NobodySpecial Contributor Contributor

I didn't start getting serious about writing untill just a few years ago. Since then, I've developed an odd relationship with books. I even won't use the book drop at the library any more. It just seems disrespectful.

3. Adenosine Triphosphate

Adenosine Triphosphate Member Contributor

Finished Woken Furies last night. Just bought Thirteen by Richard K Morgan (titled Black Man in the UK).

4. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

THE LOST MASTERPIECE

I am reading a very satisfying book. You might have heard about it, and it seems appropriate how I have forgotten the author’s name, just like everybody else has done. But I can tell you that William Stoner has a perfectly dreadful life. His honeymoon, if I might para-memory, or re-phrase:

After the intercourse Stoner’s bride vomited into his face.

“It must be the sight of you,” she said.

“Naked?” he replied.

“Do not repeat your dirty word ever again,’ she said most emphatically, and fluffed her pillow. Within seconds she snored like a horse.

William loved his new bride. Then, once again he stared past the curtain, and imagined only bookcases lined on forever and forever.

STONER - John Williams

5. Radrook

Radrook Banned Contributor

I feel the same way. I think we fall under the category of bibliophiles.

6. Mink

Mink Contributor Contributor

I just finished "Finders Keepers" (after finishing "Stardust", which was a bit of a pain to read) and now I think I might read the next "Magnus Chase" while I wait for an opportunity to order "End of Watch" since I haven't found it in any bookstore yet. I was getting ready to pout at the end of "Finders Keepers" because I didn't think there was another, but the page at the end of book told me otherwise!

I'm addicted to this series and really can't wait to read more!

7. Mink

I'm reading "Doctor Sleep" now. I'm not terribly far in, but a scene already creeped me out.

8. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    I liked it, but there are some parts that went over my head longer than they probably should have.

9. Mink

...I might be in the same boat, then.

10. Catrin Lewis

Catrin Lewis Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer Contest Winner 2023

My latest read? Taste of Home: 365 Days of Cookies. The only question is, where to start?

11. OJB

OJB A Mean Old Man Contributor

Tomorrow I start to read Clive Barker's Weaveworld.

Komposten, badgerjelly and Cave Troll like this.
  12. Moon

Moon Contributor Contributor

United States of Japan. So far it's an interesting random pickup, though I will admit the cover is what drew me in. Mecha was one of those things that made me geek out as a child. :p

13. Mink

On the day you're on. :p

I have a book that's called "Vegetable of the Day: 365 Recipes for Every Day of the Year" and I started on January 1st (because I got it before the new year began). I fell off because I'm touching certain vegetables like sweet potatoes with a 10-foot pole, but I'm trying to get back on schedule...it makes it easy to just do the day you're on, lol.

[If you come across a good chocolate cookie recipe you have to tell me.]

14. Night Herald

Night Herald The Fool Contributor

I'm finishing up King of Thorns, which has taken me way, way longer than intended.

On the non-fiction side of things, I'm re-reading Self-editing for Fiction Writers, which is my favourite book on craft. Since I'll be self-editing a novel by the end of the year, it's a good time to brush up on some of the things in there.

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  15. Mink

I just finished Doctor Sleep. I sat down to read a little of it before bed, saying, Just a couple of pages. Instead I read until 12:30 a.m. and finished the series. I closed the book with tears in my eyes. The Shining has always cast a strange spell over me, enticing me along the winding road that carves through the hills before spilling you out in front of The Stanley. Finishing Doctor Sleep felt like a close to an important chapter of my life. I feel both saddened and thrilled to have been able to see the end to Doc's journey.
    __

Now I'll be reading End of Watch and hoping I like it as much as I've loved the rest of the trilogy.

16. badgerjelly

badgerjelly Contributor Contributor

Yummy yummy! Immacolata, Shadwell and Calhoun Mooney are three names that will never leave me :D

Do me a favour and PM me when you write something about this. Like I said it's the ONLY book I read in one day. Will have to give it another read again ... another of his that was a fav of mine for a long time was Galilee. For me it was the first of his books that showed talent in writing combined with his imagination (which was always his selling point.) Plus Galilee is written from the perspective of a writer, which I found very enticing for obvious reasons.

ENJOY!!

OJB likes this.
  17. OJB

OJB A Mean Old Man Contributor

I will. I've not been able to focus on my blog as I've been just attacking my WIP atm, but I am still reading Clive Barker's works. I will read them all ><

18. Mark Burton

Mark Burton Fried Egghead Contributor

I'm currently working through Alastair Reynolds' Revelation Space series, currently on Chasm City.

19. dbesim

dbesim Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor

I’m currently reading Angels and Demons. The first book in the Robert Langdon series by Dan Brown. Planning to work my way through them. Heard there was some controversial stuff.

20. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    From a writing viewpoint, not a series I enjoyed. Sheherazadism in the extreme.

dbesim likes this.
  21. dbesim

dbesim Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor

I find the chapters too short to fully enjoy the story-line and a bit put off by ‘we’ve only got little time to save the whole world’. I know they probably will do by the end. But there’s also some things in there I’ve never heard about such as ‘conclave’. Hopefully I’ll stick through it until the final page.

22. Mink

I thought The Da Vinci Code was the first, whoops, lol. I liked The Da Vinci Code (which I read first), but I couldn't get into Angels and Demons so I didn't bother with the rest. I don't recall anything controversial though I heard about people claiming the books (and movies) were.

23. MachineGryphon

MachineGryphon Member

I was the opposite way around. I don't remember them much now as it was years ago, but I definitely preferred Angels and Demons over The Da Vinci Code. Haven't read any Dan Brown before or since though. Might have to give them a re-read.

I'm currently on Nemesis Games, the fifth book in The Expanse series by James S.A. Corey. Only just finished the last one and was supposed to be starting on Dune to talk with a friend about it. That didn't exactly got to plan. Can't seem to put this series down. Completely fallen in love with the characters and universe.

24. Moon

Moon Contributor Contributor

Monkey by Wu Ch'êng-ên.

25. NoGoodNobu

NoGoodNobu Contributor Contributor

The Red Book of Fairy Tales by Andrew Lang.

I really just wanted to read Russian fairy tale Koschei the Deathless, because I heard an offhand description of the hero staying home while his wife was at war.

Let me tell you, it did not disappoint:

(I am disappointed in the Soviet film "Kashchei the Immortal" where Marya Morevna is reduced to a pretty thing in a window to aggressively flirt at who gives coy riddles to her suitor)