What Are You Reading Now.

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Writing Forums Staff, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Solar

Solar Banned Contributor

Currently reading the gas bill.

Komposten likes this.
  2. Historical Science

Historical Science Contributor Contributor

Sphere by Michael Crichton.

3. Solar

Solar Banned Contributor

Currently reading tea leaves.

dbesim likes this.
  4. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Currently reading a UNHCR paper about human trafficking in the Balkans ... its research for cold fury, but fuck me its hard going

5. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

Some short stories. Dipping into Joyce's Dubliners, some stuff by Barry Hannah (just recently discovered him), and some William Trevor. I'm also circling Lawrence Durrell's Alexandria Quartet, wondering whether to dive into it wholeheartedly or avoid it because of its bulk. I remember my Dad reading it and being enthralled - he used to come to me and read passages aloud to me, because he liked the language. So it's probably cool.

6. Goosey

Goosey Member

Currently reading a scene I wrote - does that count? I hope so. - it went fairly well, though my mind's been very worried of late so it's probably not my best work :pity: I'm enjoying it all the same though. Might let my family see it as well, I like getting their feedback, especially my brother's as he'll always give his honest opinion.

Samantha. X

Komposten likes this.
  7. Enidde

Enidde New Member

Currently, I'm reading: The Richest Man in Babylon by Georges S. Clason. More of a self-help book.

8. Moon

Moon Contributor Contributor

Leviathan Wakes...it's....kind of boring. I'm going to power through it and finish the book cos I brought it. Here's hoping the second book is better.

9. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

The others are more of the same. If you like catchy one-liners and massive death counts, stick with it.

Moon likes this.
  10. Moon

Goddammit all. Just when I thought I found a Sci-fi gem, too(Based on what others have said about the series). I've also been told the fucking T.V show is better than the book so I might just watch that. Dammit.

11. Shenanigator

Shenanigator Has the Vocabulary of a Well-Educated Sailor. Contributor

Technically, my own WIP and WIP notes, but I just bought Bittersweet by Colleen McCullough and hope to begin reading it in the next few days.

Moon likes this.
  12. Neut

Neut New Member

Currently reading Treasures Island by R L Stevenson. Reading this so far has been wonderful.

Artifacs and minstrel like this.
  13. Moon

I always do that with new books for....some odd reason. Buy it on Monday, probably start it sometime next week or the week after that.

OT: The Strange Library by Haruki Murkmai (reread). The book reads in a very dream-like way and the first time I read it I was left with that..."wtf" face for a little while.

Shenanigator likes this.
  14. Spencer1990

Spencer1990 Contributor Contributor

Currently reading Pushcart Prize XLI, which is a collection of literary work. A lot of it is good, but I've found myself skipping a story or two. Definitely worth the $13 or whatever it was. I'll likely order the one from 2018.

If anyone has any short story collections to recommend, I'm all ears. :D

15. Teladan

Teladan Contributor Contributor

I'm soon to start reading Dracula. I'm not sure why it's taken me 24 years to get to this point.

Artifacs likes this.
  16. SethLoki

SethLoki Retired Autodidact Contributor

Slade House ~ David Mitchell. Unusual for me but demolished 9/10ths of this in a day.

17. Shenanigator

Shenanigator Has the Vocabulary of a Well-Educated Sailor. Contributor

Yep. Me too. Plus after I buy a book I always either get really busy, or I get a writing inspiration and it becomes reading time vs. writing time.

Moon likes this.
  18. nightswim

nightswim New Member

I can never focus on a single book so I am always reading more than one. As of right now:

The Cruel Prince by Holly Black
    A Study in Charlotte by Brittany Cavallaro
    I Mix What I Like: A Mixtape Manifesto by Jared A. Ball
    Social Death by Lisa Marie Cacho

Shenanigator likes this.
  19. Shoshin Samurai

Shoshin Samurai Member

The Demon Crown by James Rollins. That's what I am currently reading. Although I have not read the other preceding Sigma Force series, I am hoping this would be as good as 'Amazonia' -- oh, that was a good book.
    Also, I am looking for an adventure set in the real world, maybe like Wilbur Smith's The River God. Apart from his The Seventh Scroll, I didn't like the others in the series, and I have been warned to not read the later Desert God and Pharaoh. I am not going to. But, it would be great to read a book that has adventure like The River God. Any suggestions?

nightswim likes this.
  20. Quanta

Quanta Senior Member

Il Pleuvait des Oiseaux, by Jocelyne Saucier. Unusual and beautiful.
    The English translation And the Birds Rained Down was a finalist for a literary award for French-to-English translation.
    It's the story of two octogenarian living deep in the forest of northern Ontario, two pot growers and the two women who come in and disrupt their solitary lives.

21. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

John Masefield

I really like his seascapes/his smugglers...

a writer of 100 years ago - writing about events of 200 years ago - so plenty of archaic language, it's very tasty.

22. dbesim

dbesim Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor

I’m currently reading Insurgent, the second book in the Divergent series by Veronica Roth. It’s futuristic and the concept is interesting. The writing could be better but it’s OK for YA.

23. Spencer1990

Spencer1990 Contributor Contributor

I read the first two books of that series when I was in rehab a number of years ago. I have a soft spot for it just because it kept my mind occupied in an otherwise difficult time.

24. MilesTro

MilesTro Senior Member

Dragon Slayer 3 by Michael Scott Earle.

25. Moon

Looking for three books,

-The Passage by Justin Cronin. A recommendation from a certain nerd who has this dark lords favor. :p

-The Thorn Birds by Colleen McCullough. Out of genre for me, but another recommendation. It helps to expand our horizons, eh?

-Dante's Cure: A Journey Out Of Madness by Doctor Daniel Dormen. My "quest" to understanding Schizophrenia is never ending, and Doctor Dormen offers up a rather different point of view than what I've been spoon fed.

Gonna buy those three later on next week or something. Right now I took the real dive and picked up Dune by Frank Herbert. It's a bit...off for me, but I'm liking it so far. Reading every Dune book seems like something to add to my imaginary bucket list though. :p