What Are You Reading Now.

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Writing Forums Staff, Feb 22, 2008.

1. dbesim

dbesim Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor

Did you mispost this one here? I think it belongs in the ‘’six word story’’ thread. :superidea:

2. Moon

Moon Contributor Contributor

The Illustrated Man. Brought it from this random book vendor off the street for two dollars.

3. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

Tristram Shandy - famous comic masterpiece from the 1730s. The first line is brilliant but I don’t understand the rest of the page. ‘Go again’ tomorrow..

4. Mink

Mink Contributor Contributor

I finished this book.

My thoughts can be summed up as: good book, but also a disappointing one as well.

Now I'm onto "Assassin's Creed: Renaissance". Even with it's faulty writing structure (two paragraphs have literally been one long sentence each), I at least know what to expect and I enjoy it.

5. Robert Musil

Robert Musil Comparativist Contributor

J. M. Coetzee, Inner Workings: Literary Essays 2000-2005. Amusingly enough, has a chapter on Robert Musil (specifically The Confusions of Young Torless).

matwoolf likes this.
  6. MachineGryphon

MachineGryphon Member

The City and the Stars by Arthur C. Clarke at the moment. It's only my second of his works, but I'm still blown away by how far ahead of his time he was.

Artifacs, matwoolf and minstrel like this.
  7. Moon

Its that time of the year. Time to pick up the Scott Pilgrim series and blow through it in a week.

8. X Equestris

X Equestris Contributor Contributor

I've been reading comics, mostly from DC's Rebirth initiative. That's partly for research for my current project and partly for entertainment. Batman #50 was disappointing, Catwoman #1 looks like the start to a promising series, and I'm digging into Green Arrow #42 later.

9. Cohen

Cohen Member

Blasted through the Foundation triology by Asimov in June, and now July will begin with me attempting Gravity's Rainbow by Pynchon. Anybody read it?

10. Moon

Gonna try to finish United State Of Japan since last time, I failed, horribly. I found the mundane chatter that spanned pages to be quite the turn off. But since I brought the damn book I might as well finish it. Or at least....try.

If that gets boring, I'll just pick up....eh....something else. Haven't figured that one out yet. Wouldn't mind some Sci-fi recommendations though.

11. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

lostinmath.png

So far, quite good.

badgerjelly likes this.
  12. Night Herald

Night Herald The Fool Contributor

I've been meaning to give the Gormenghast series a shot for a long time, and now I'm about 3/4 through Titus Groan. It's a weird and wonderful book filled with beautiful language and oddball characters. One of a kind, I dare say, excepting perhaps its sequels.

Steerpike and minstrel like this.
  13. Laurin Kelly

Laurin Kelly Contributor Contributor

I just finished reading an ARC (Advanced Reader Copy) on Annabeth Albert's Tight Quarters, the 6th book in her Out of Uniform series. I really enjoyed it - while I've enjoyed some of the books more than others, the series as a whole it very strong, and this one will go down as one of the better ones. I think this is supposed to be the last book in the series, and I'm really going to miss new installments that build on the side characters (I want to know Rooster's story, dammit!).

14. Krispee

Krispee Contributor Contributor

The second book in the Thursday Next series called The Well Of Lost Plots. Very well written, very quirky, very me.

15. MachineGryphon

MachineGryphon Member

Finished The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo a couple of days ago and was pretty impressed. A little finance/corporate jargon in places but very intriguing characters and overall plot.
    Then I read A Clockwork Orange in the two days since. The film is very faithful apart from the cut last chapter. Also not as hard to read as some had me believe. The nadsat is usually discernible by examining the context and after a while flows just fine.

16. Catrin Lewis

Catrin Lewis Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023 Community Volunteer

I'm reading Nora Roberts' The Reef and Kristine Kathryn Rusch's Diving into the Wreck. They're both suspense novels about treasure/salvage divers, one here on Earth in the late 1990s and the other in deep space 5,000+ years from now. It's interesting reading one, then the other. It enhances the experience, considering I knew little about the profession before starting the novels.

17. Adenosine Triphosphate

Adenosine Triphosphate Member Contributor

Just finished The Dark Defiles on the plane yesterday.

18. D.Clarke

D.Clarke Active Member

Switching between 'The Picture of Dorian Gray', 'Doctor Thorne' and The Woodlanders. Half way through Dorian Gray.

Artifacs likes this.
  19. Mink

Mink Contributor Contributor

"The Terror" by Dan Simmons.

I'm only 22 pages in and have learned more about the female body than I wanted. Now I'm debating if I want to continue reading this or not.

Artifacs and T_L_K like this.
  20. D.Clarke

D.Clarke Active Member

Just finished reading The Picture of Dorian Gray and I have to say; I must laugh at the reviewer who gave it a one star on amazon claiming 'its boring, all he does is talk about different perfumes'..

Wait, what? Lmao stop it. Great story.

Artifacs, Malisky and Youssef Salameh like this.
  21. pyroglyphian

pyroglyphian Word Painter

Shogun, James Clavell.

22. Stormsong07

Stormsong07 Contributor Contributor

I recently discovered Karin Slaughter and am working my way trough her Will Trent series. Currently on Unseen.

23. Youssef Salameh

Youssef Salameh Senior Member

The Cosmic code by Heinz R. Pagels.

24. Adenosine Triphosphate

Adenosine Triphosphate Member Contributor

Bought The Hexslinger Omnibus this week and started reading A Book of Tongues.

25. Zerotonin

Zerotonin Serotonin machine broke

Dragon Age: The Stolen Throne

Yes, I know this is a book based off of a videogame. Yes, I know I'm a nerd. Yes, you can have my lunch money.

Thus far, it's interesting. We don't often get to delve into the headspace of secondary characters in the games so it's a refreshing change of perspective.

Artifacs, Shn1010 and Oscar Leigh like this.