What Are You Reading Now.

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Writing Forums Staff, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Irina Samarskaya

Irina Samarskaya Senior Member

The text on the monitor in front of me.

2. Zerotonin

Zerotonin Serotonin machine broke

Finished Prozac Nation and, I have to say, I'm not sure what all the hubbub is about surrounding that book. It's praised as this amazing piece of work depicting depression, but half of it is just talking about how shitty her childhood was and the other half is predictable drama. There was next to nothing about the day-to-day struggle that depression puts you through. The plot was focusing on things that were too large and completely missed what makes a story about depression so interesting, the depression.

Wasn't a huge fan, as you can probably tell.

Just started a book called Lowboy by John Wray and it's already proving to be more interesting. Nothing like a paranoid schizophrenic 16-year-old wandering the streets of New York City. Oh, did I mention that he thinks the world is ending in 10 hours?

Cave Troll and Shenanigator like this.
  3. Justin Thyme

Justin Thyme Active Member

Just started reading 'Grave Witch' by Kalayna Price again, I only even thought about it to recommend it to someone here in answer to their question, now I'm reading that instead of writing.
    It's a good read with some interesting and unusual ideas, all very well executed to.
    I tell myself it's good for my writing, it's really just procrastination.
    So weak, so very weak.

Oscar Leigh and Cave Troll like this.
  4. Oxymaroon

Oxymaroon Contributor Contributor

Recently finished The Back of the Turtle by Thomas King - the only writer i know who can make you feel good about the end of the world.

Cave Troll likes this.
  5. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Just started DOOM: Hell On Earth (Chapter 2), and boy howdee is it a
    leap from Star Surgeon. The two guys that wrote the book based on the
    game series treat the MC Flynt (Fly) with an extremely juvenile touch
    and it is more funny than the craziness of the games. But I guess I should
    expect that from an MC named Fly. :p

Oscar Leigh and John-Wayne like this.
  6. GrahamLewis

GrahamLewis Seeking the bigger self Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2024 Contest Winner 2023

an oasis of PC midst right-wing extremism
    Currently Reading::
    Zen Flesh, Zen Bones
    Just finished with Everything Everything, recommended to me by my 21-year-old daughter who added that since I was "never a teenaged girl" I'd probably not be as moved by it as she was. She was wrong. Though it is published under a young adult impress, it touched me deeply, a story of a child growing away from her mother and the pain and confusion that caused, all in the context of a medical framework (the story opens with the girl telling how she has lived her whole life literally inside a sterile environment because her mother/doctor says she was born with SCID (severe combined immune deficiency syndrome, meaning she has no immunity due to a genetic defect)).

7. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

I'm re-reading Phillip Pullman's His Dark Materials, and appreciating it even more the second time around. I find him a fascinating author. I also just finished his collection of essays Daemon Voices which was superb. Lots in there about his writing methods and philosophy. There is an author I would love to meet and have a chat with.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  8. Iain Sparrow

Iain Sparrow Banned Contributor

Reading Small Fry, a memoir by Lisa Brennan-Jobs.
    Wonderfully honest and unsentimental, though not without a great deal of heart and humor. Steve Jobs; Founder of Apple Computers, genius, innovative thinker, asshole.

9. nycoma

nycoma Active Member

zero k by don delillo.

so far i like it, even though i don't see a great plot within (which i don't always need.)

10. John-Wayne

John-Wayne Madman Extradinor Contributor

Kristol of Ancea by Me.... :supercheeky:

Nah just kidding, Actually started editing it. what I am reading or meaning to get back to reading are:

Empress Theresa by Normam Boutin

And

Growing Around: party panic by mr. Enter (can't recall his actual name atm)

Both books are awful, with authors who can't take criticism. What is an adventure of schizophrenic proportions and the other is all about abusing your adult children

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  11. Oscar Leigh

Oscar Leigh Contributor Contributor

Bit of a nerdy Australian pick that most of you wouldn't like, but:
    Paul Keating: The Big Picture Leader by Troy Bramston. He's a bit more neoliberal than I am but he's an interesting guy with some admiral elements to his legacy.

12. Zerotonin

Zerotonin Serotonin machine broke

Just finished The Sound of Rain by Gregg Olsen. Good read if you're into murder mysteries. Just starting in on the second book in this series. I would highly recommend the first.

13. Mink

Mink Contributor Contributor

I'm about to tackle "Carry On" by Rainbow Rowell (who I keep wanting to call Rainbow Powell).

14. Moon

Moon Contributor Contributor

The Mist was.......okay. Apparently the movie has a better ending than the novel, but I dunno how as the ending here was quite open-ended, which worked for me. I'll spoil myself on it via google later today.

Need some more horror for the late-night read. Any recommendations?

15. theoriginalmonsterman

theoriginalmonsterman Pickle Contributor

Planning on reading the entirety of the Sherlock Holmes series, starting off with A Study in Scarlet. Also reading The House of the Seven Gables for English Comp II, already a good ways into that. Was reading Lord of the Flies, but that was terribly boring.

16. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

I just finished Paula Munier's new novel, A Borrowing of Bones. Excellent novel. Next up, Peter Blauner's Sunrise Highway.

Youssef Salameh likes this.
  17. Beloved of Assur

Beloved of Assur Active Member

About to finish "An illustrated history of the Russo-Japanese War" by J. N. Westwood which was very interesting and short to make for a quick read. When I've finished with "The World of Odysseus" its definietly time for some fiction.

18. Artifacs

Artifacs Senior Member

Peter Watts' sci-fi book Starfish. Glu..glu..glu ooOOO

19. zoupskim

zoupskim Contributor Contributor

Books of Blood Vol 1, by Clive Barker

KaTrian likes this.
  20. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

Just finished The Black Tongue by Marko Hautala. It was creepy asf. Horror novels don't get to me easy, but as of late I've read some pretty good ones.

Started Glen Duncan's The Last Werewolf. It's been on my TBR forever, but finally got around to read it. So far so good. He's edgy. I like that. :D

21. Beloved of Assur

Beloved of Assur Active Member

Just finished "World of Odysseus" so now I'm lookig for some fiction. I'm yet undecided on reading "The King Must Die" by Mary Renault, getting hold of E. R. Eddison's Zimiarian Trilogy (or at the least two of them ;)) or perhaps start a project to read through a bunch of RPG books I have to the Werewolf: The Forsaken game and mercilessly mine these for ideas.

Time will tell where I go.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  22. Krispee

Krispee Contributor Contributor

Reading The Shadow Of The Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon, one of my favourite writers. I read this some years ago and loved it, then forgot it, and Zafon. Imagine my surprise to find that he had written three sequels. I am salivating so badly Homer Simpson would be jealous.

23. MusingWordsmith

MusingWordsmith Shenanigan Master Contributor

Finished 'The Colour of Magic' by Terry Pratchett yesterday. Starting in on Sourcery.

Night Herald likes this.
  24. dbesim

dbesim Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor

I’m currently reading A Clash of Kings . It’s the second book to the Game of Thrones series and I plan to get through all the books gradually. I’ve never watched the TV show, so I might be in for a few surprises. I read the first book and it was great. I hope the subsequent ones live up to its standard.

25. Night Herald

Night Herald The Fool Contributor

I'm on a Discworld binge myself, having read Guards, Guards!, Men at Arms, and (currently working on) Mort in quick succession. I'm new to the series, having only read The Colour of Magic previously. I love these, and I'll probably just keep going until I've read them all.

The first three are excellent, while books four and five are a bit less stellar. Still very much worth reading, if you like the previous ones.

dbesim likes this.