What Are You Reading Now.

Discussion in 'Book Discussion' started by Writing Forums Staff, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Iain Sparrow

Iain Sparrow Contributor Contributor

Hitchens was brilliant!

Foxxx likes this.
  2. TirelessSeven

TirelessSeven Member

Booo! Two thumbs down :p. Just finished it. Thought it was cool.

Cave Troll likes this.
  3. Cave Troll

Cave Troll Contributor Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    I am glad you enjoyed it, I just couldn't get into it.

TirelessSeven likes this.
  4. J.T. Woody

J.T. Woody Active Member

Started reading a comic, Saga by Brian K. Vaughan.
    I don't read comics. The only 3 comics I've read that I actually liked were for class (Persepolis for Freshmen orientation, Marbles for a psych class, American Born Chinese for children's literature). I've read a few Marvel shorts, but nothing book length.

Saga is awesome! I finished Vol 1 in a night and decided to get the version with like 5 volumes in one so that I could keep reading without having to find the next volume. Artwork is beautiful and the writing is amazing. He really makes you care about the characters and what happens to them, right down to the bad guys. One bounty hunter's pet/sidekick got sucked out of a hole blown into his ship and his face as he looked on as it floated in space was heart breaking.
    Said bounty hunter has turned in to somewhat of an anti hero, so I guess he's not THE bad guy, but still.

Ellara Zemar and Cave Troll like this.
  5. Rzero

Rzero Member

Second Hand Souls, my third Christopher Moore this year, and Lolita. I'm reading that one in chunks. It's a little heavy. That will make eighty for the year, including audiobooks, obliterating my old record of 36.

Oh, and my four-year-old and I are reading Captain Underpants and the attack of the Talking Toilets. It's quite good. :read2::agreed::bigwink:

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  6. Teladan

Teladan Active Member

Last two works have been To the Lighthouse and The Yellow Wallpaper. Currently reading One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. Great narrative voice.

Rzero likes this.
  7. Christopher Walker

Christopher Walker New Member

Trouble with Lichen, by John Wyndham. I've read The Day of the Triffids, and at some point I want to read The Midwich Cuckoos by Wyndham, too.

Rzero likes this.
  8. LoaDyron

LoaDyron Member

I am reading a collection of Sherlock Holmes stories, just because I was curious about the character. However, my favourite author of detective, crime is no doubt, Agath Christie.

Ellara Zemar and Shenanigator like this.
  9. Viridian

Viridian Member Supporter

[QUOTE="Rzero, post: 1727083, member: 88234Oh, and my four-year-old and I are reading "Captain Underpants and the attack of the Talking Toilets". It's quite good. :read2::agreed::bigwink:[/QUOTE]

:D:D:D:D:D

Might have to try that one.

I'm just coming to the end of 'The Name of the Wind' by Patrick Rothfuss and what a slog it's been. Undecided if my next book will be Kate Morton's 'The clockmaker's daughter' or to continue with the Game of Thrones saga, or to try something completely different. Could do with a good ghost story if anyone has any recommendations?

Rzero likes this.
  10. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale hostis humani generis Contributor

I'm reading The Singer's Gun by Emily St. John Mandel and it's very good. The other book of hers I read, Station Eleven, was absolutely amazing, so I'm happy to see that she's someone with more than one good story in her and I'll be looking for more in the future.

I'm also reading Helmet for My Pillow by Robert Leckie (bad habit, I know) which is one of the books that the WWII miniseries The Pacific was based on. It's interesting-ish, but we're only in training so far, so I'm hoping it'll get better.

11. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Staff Supporter Contributor

Arctic Dreams, by Barry Lopez. Also some poetry by Gary Snyder, but he's bugging the crap out of me because he's just about the least poetic poet I've ever read. I'm thinking of retreating into a volume of Robinson Jeffers or WB Yeats. I might try Derek Walcott, because I've never read him before. But whatever - I gotta get the taste Snyder out of my mouth.

I'm not currently reading any fiction. I'm kinda orbiting David Foster Wallace's Infinite Jest on the recommendation of a friend, but I haven't beamed down to the surface yet. It's a big ol' planet of words and I don't know if I want to make the commitment just now.

12. Rzero

Rzero Member

I read The Yellow Wallpaper this year, and then reread it three times that week. I never do that. It was like Stephen King and Sylvia Plath somehow wrote a short story together in 1892, though that opinion may be heavily influenced by having read both The Shinning and The Bell Jar earlier in the year. I couldn't believe it was written 126 years ago. Cuckoo's Nest is on my short list. I should pick it up soon. It might round out this descent into madness kick.

13. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan Member Supporter Contributor

Oscar Leigh and Rzero like this.
  14. Rzero

Rzero Member

I only discovered John Wyndham this year, and he's one of my favorite authors now. I read The Crysalids, Day of the Triffids and Chocky. So far, Chocky is my favorite. I also picked up but haven't gotten to The Midwich Cuckoo, Time Stops Today and a collection of shorts. I'll be sad when they run out. Actually, I've been a little obsessed with mid-century sci-fi in general this year, with two Ray Bradbury, four Philip K. Dick, one Clifford D. Simak, and as of today, I'm on my third Robert Sheckley.

15. Rzero

Rzero Member

Let me know how you like it. I was thinking about picking that one up. I read With the Old Breed by E. B. Sledge, one of the other source books for The Pacific. Sledge is even a character in the series, and Ken Burns references it a bunch in The War. It was worth the read. Considering the matter-of-fact style of the prose, it was intense.

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  16. Rzero

Rzero Member

I was auto corrected into a classic Simpsons reference. Nice. As I believe Willie said in the exact same episode when he caught an axe to the back, "Argh, I'm bad at this."

17. Artifacs

Artifacs Member

@Still Life, I have in my list the Murakami's works but I didn't know where to start. After reading your post, I think I'll start with Underground and see how it goes. Thanks.

Ellara Zemar and Cave Troll like this.
  18. Maggie May

Maggie May Member

Working on Canada by Richard Ford. What I would tell the author, I get that the parents don't belong together, you've expressed that sixteen different ways! I was getting ready to put the book down, I can only read the same thing over and over so many times. It feels like adding fluff to flesh it out. There are parts of the story that are well written and pull me into the story. I will try to finish it and probably donate it away, although it would be a good example of what not to do.

Artifacs likes this.
  19. Foxxx

Foxxx The Debonair Contributor

Just finished reading "The Defining Decade" by Meg Jay. Didn't give me an order on how to live my life or what to do, but it gave me a lot of useful insight and got me thinking about the things I ought to be thinking about, including things I didn't even know I ought to be thinking about. Definitely something I'll be reading again and again in the future, and a new path to pursue in my reading, including Erik Erikson and Anders Ericsson.