What Are You Reading Now.

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Writing Forums Staff, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Krispee

Krispee Contributor Contributor

Somehow that sounds rather familiar :superthink:, anyway, have to admit that I've never read Hemingway, did read Gatsby once though.

The Dapper Hooligan likes this.
  2. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

As others have said ... Sea is a wonderful novella and I enjoyed it immensely. I’ve since learned that ... Have Not was originally a series of short stories based around a central theme, hense the character and POV switches. As for a central character to root for, I get the impression Hemingway was never one for the rules.

Krispee likes this.
  3. OurJud

Me too. It held me for more than half the book, but I inevitably tired.

Krispee likes this.
  4. Krispee

I might try the shorter stories, maybe the novella you mentioned. I don't mind writers who subvert the rules, as long as the story makes sense and is readable without a brain transplant or a lengthy stay in the looney bin. As long as the story isn't loonicrous.
    I'm not entirely giving up on Neuro, but there are so many other stories so it maybe a while before I am back around.

5. Yaldabaoth

Yaldabaoth Member

Right now the only thing I need to finish is Harry Turtledove's 'Worldwar: In the Balance.' I only have the first book as a second hand hardback, but I've been enjoying it so far.

6. edamame

edamame Contributor Contributor

Junichiro Tanizaki's The Maids. I find post-war Japan interesting but don't know if I'll be finishing this.

7. Moon

Moon Contributor Contributor

No Planet for Good Men: A Sheriff Duke Story - M.R. Forbes. Needed something fiction and non-fantasy related, picked up this one.

8. Night Herald

Night Herald The Fool Contributor

I'm reading several things at the moment.

Carpe Jugulum (Discworld) - the one and only Terry Pratchett: My current audiobook, what I wind down with just before bed. Discworld is perfect for that sort of thing.

Emperor of Thorns (Broken Empire series) - Mark Lawrence: Paperback edition. What I read on my commutes and lunch break. I dropped this one for so long and recently picked it back up. I don't know why. It's a good book.

Moby Dick - Herman Melville: The one I occasionally read when I'm digesting a meal on the couch or in the garden enjoying the sun (back when that was a thing, #autumn).

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
  9. Moon

I seem to remember the Norwegian Summer program failing to install properly.... :p

By the way, since I'm almost finished with The first Law series, was wondering if you had any recommendations for writers similar to Abercrombie. His ability to make scenes both humorous (darkly so) and tense impresses me greatly.

Catrin Lewis and Night Herald like this.
  10. Rzero

Rzero Reluctant voice of his generation Contributor

I'm starting in on The Men Who Stare at Goats. This will be my fourth Jon Ronson in as many months. Does anyone have any recommendations for similar writers/journalists? I particularly enjoy the fact that his narrative is presented as the writer's personal journey of discovery, both internal and external. He learns about himself and his own misconception as the story unfolds, and I find myself questioning my own assumptions. As a person who considers himself very self-aware, I relish the challenges to sociological prejudices I didn't realize I had.

11. Night Herald

Night Herald The Fool Contributor

Well, no, summer installed more or less properly, only there's comparability issues, so it takes forever to boot up and it CTDs soon as you look at it.

Abercrombie is pretty brilliant, isn't he? When you say entire First Law, does that include the stand-alone sequels? Those are an absolute must. Also there's a new First Law book coming out next month, if you haven't caught the news. A Little Hatred.

As for similar books, I haven't found anything quite like them. (I will forego italics for titles from this point because it's a pain from mobile)

The Broken Empire series I mentioned up there is comparable in some ways, I think. You'll want to look into The Lies of Loche Lamora and its sequels. It has a similar twinkle in the eye and the same tendency to wring humor out of tragedy and wickedness. Probably the closest fit I can think of. And The Steel Remains plus sequels, by... Morgan, I think. The guy who did Altered Carbon. And of course the Shattered Sea trilogy, also by Abercrombie, starting with Half a King. It's YA, I believe, but it's also still Abercrombie.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
    Moon likes this.
  12. Krispee

The Paper Menagerie book of short stories by Ken Lui. I'm kind of reading shorts between other things at the moment.

Seven Crowns likes this.
  13. James Austin

James Austin New Member

Now I am reading Killing the SS book by Bill O'Reilly,Martin Dugard. This book is well written, nicely presented, fully researched masterpiece. I am enjoying it very much.

Kinzvlle likes this.
  14. Kinzvlle

Kinzvlle At the bottom of a pit Contributor

A battered copy of "Health of mind and Soul." from the used book shop. By Ignance Iep. In which the aforementioned pyshcoanylist priest puts forth the idea of psychosynthesis built mostly out of Carl Jungs ideas and dealing with mental hygiene, neurosis, and both the subconscious and conscious mind. I`ll have more to say after I read through.

Cave Troll likes this.
  15. frail

frail New Member

I'm reading a copy of The Dark Half by Stephen King. I bought it a library book sale last Thursday.
    It's about a writer's darker half, his pseudonym, coming to life and wreaking havoc.
    Apparently it was written in response to King being outed as his pseudonym, Richard Bachman. There's even an author's note at the beginning that reads: "I'm indebted to the late Richard Bachman for his help and inspiration. This novel could not have been written without him."

It's my first Stephen King novel! I'm not very far in it, I only started it yesterday, but I'm really enjoying it.

Catrin Lewis, Kinzvlle and Rzero like this.
  16. J.T. Woody

J.T. Woody Book Witch Contributor

Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress
    Paragon Hotel

Seven Crowns likes this.
  17. Moon

Kanji Workbook for Intermediate Japanese By: Dr. Yukie Aida, Junko Hatanaka, and Dr. Naoko Suito.

[​IMG]

Cave Troll, Seven Crowns and Kinzvlle like this.
  18. J.T. Woody

I finished Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress last night. The final sentence of the book confuses me:superthink:

19. OurJud

Ox Travels

‘An extraordinary collection. Thirty-six travel writers have contributed stories of remarkable meetings - life-changing, affecting, amusing by turn.’

20. Oscar Leigh

Oscar Leigh Contributor Contributor

I can't recommend Kill Six Billion Demons enough. Definitely an original story, but it is a webcomic so perhaps some people won't like the format (works basically the same as any other comic though). So stylish. So philosophical and mystical, yet modern and approachable. So VISUAL. Definitely an original and aesthetic read if nothing else.
    https://killsixbilliondemons.com/comic/kill-six-billion-demons-chapter-1/

Moon likes this.
  21. J.T. Woody

Underground Girls of Kabul

22. S A Lee

S A Lee Contributor Contributor

My course material, current chapter is civil litigation.

Moon likes this.
  23. Moon

Very popular here in America. Even though most don't even know what they can sue for. :p

OT: Second story in Wastelands: Stories Of The Apocalypse, this one is called Salvage by Orson Scott Card.

Man, I think King is a great short story writer, but this one, entitled The End Of The Whole Mess is more of his interesting premise; boringly executed stories. Not much detail for the spoiler since the story is short (47 pages), but I was just left disappointed by the end.

24. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Wallace Stegner's Wolf Willow. I can't imagine why I never read it long ago. I love it.

25. Rae_3

Rae_3 Member

I'm reading Lost in the Sun right now, and so far it's so good but also so sad