What Are You Reading Now.

Discussion in 'Book Discussion' started by Writing Forums Staff, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Bone2pick

Bone2pick Contributor Contributor

@Night Herald I've yet to read Mark Lawrence, but I've been planning to. Where do you suggest I start? Broken Empire?

Night Herald likes this.
  2. Night Herald

Night Herald An ill wind is blowing. Contributor

Good question. I think you can reasonably start with Broken Empire or Red Queen's War, keeping in mind I've only read (most of) the first book in the latter series. There are a number of callbacks, references and character cameos you'll miss, though, and you'll probably get a better introduction to the setting. So, starting with Broken Empire might be the way to go, even if the stories are not directly connected (as I understand it). They're all really good books.

As for Lawrence's other books (which aren't connected to these two twin series) I'm clueless.

ETA: minor corrections, typing on a phone is and ever will be a bitch.

Bone2pick likes this.
  3. EFMingo

EFMingo A Nefarious Flamingo Staff Contributor

Few things are up this week.

I'll be finishing up my second read-through of Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad. Definitely lives up to what I remember, I think actually better now that I understand a lot more of the history involved in respect to the Congo.

The rest of the week I'll be sampling some Latin American literature. "The United Fruit Company" and "Poet's Obligation" by Pablo Neruda, "The Garden of Forking Paths" by Jorge Luis Borges, "A Very Old Man with Enormous Wings" by Gabriel Garcia Marquez, and The Prisoner of Las Lomas which is a novella by Carlos Fuentes.

This is an area of literature I have almost no knowledge in, so I'm excited to get started as soon as I've finished up with Conrad.

dbesim and Steerpike like this.
  4. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

I love Conrad.

I've read all of those Latin American authors except for Fuentes. Let me add a recommendation to your list: Roberto BolaƱo.

EFMingo likes this.
  5. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Currently reading, among other things, Stacy Schiff's biography of Cleopatra.

EFMingo likes this.
  6. JayPee

JayPee New Member

Finally got around to starting the His Dark Materials trilogy. Gonna rampage through the books then dissect the TV adaptation like a true book snob. :D

jannert, Dogberry's Watch and dbesim like this.
  7. Dogberry's Watch

Dogberry's Watch Member

If I remember this story correctly, you're in for a bit of a weird one, that's oddly satisfying in its weirdness.

I finally finished The Great Hunt by Robert Jordan, the second in his Wheel of Time series. I like to read the big fantasy ones slowly to enjoy them more. My only problem is I read them too quickly so I make myself slow down so it takes me longer to read them than it should.

Up next is Literary Theory, A complete introduction by Sara Upstone, and Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat by Samin Nosrat. I know Ms. Nosrat has a show on Netflix based off of her book, but .... I find her voice very annoying so I want to read the book instead.

EFMingo and Krispee like this.
  8. Krispee

Krispee Contributor Contributor

I've had that before with voices, sometimes they just don't work for me. Regarding your reading slowly for fantasy, I had the same problem with Hamilton's Commonwealth Saga, too much information sometimes to take in on a speed read. Or like Ancillary Justice, bordering on confusing so you have to slow down to understand.

Dogberry's Watch likes this.
  9. EFMingo

This week I'm taking on some literature from Africa and the Middle East, both of which I have little to no experience in.

First I'm going through a few essays on modern perspectives of African literature written by Africans: "An Image of Africa" by Chinua Achebe, part of Decolonizing the African Mind by Chinweizu, and part of "Creating a Space for a Hundred Flowers to Bloom" by Ngugi Wa Thiong'o.

Later in the week I'll get to a poem, a story, and a play, respectively: the poem "Identity Card/Victim Number" by Mohmoud Darwish, the short story "My World of the Unknown" by Alifa Rifaat, and finish up with a play title The Fate of the Cockroach by Tawfiq Al-Hakim.

Started on the essays, and they really make some incredible points about skewed perspectives on African literature. Excited to dive farther in.

10. Night Herald

Night Herald An ill wind is blowing. Contributor

Still going strong with Discworld. Last couple of weeks I added Thud!, Lords and Ladies, and Hogfather to the tally. All excellent books, Hogfather especially so.

Because I need a bit of a palate cleanser, and because it'll be a sad day indeed when there's no more Discworld for me to read, and because I'm making a point of checking out more recently published stuff, I've picked up A Brightness Long Ago by Guy Gavriel Kay. People have a lot of good things to say about it. And it's my first time with this author, which is always interesting. I'll get started on it tomorrow, I think.

11. Catrin Lewis

Catrin Lewis Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer

Making myself finish Time on My Hands by Giorgio Vasta, translated from the Italian by Jonathan Hunt. I've had it checked out from the library for the past nine weeks, and I'm only about a fifth of the way in. The POV character is a sociopathical little git of 11 who tortures cats, insects, and himself in a very distant, detached, meaningless way. Pretty soon he'll get together with a couple of friends and form his own little terrorist cell, when it will only get worse.

I'm reading this only because it might give me an insight into the psychology of my villain in my WIP.

It's due tomorrow for the third time. I guess I'd better get to it.

EDIT:
    Finished it a little after four this morning, eyeballs swimming, nearly blind. It gave me a few hints for my WIP, but nothing specific. I've ordered a relevant historical study off Amazon this afternoon and that should help me more.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020 at 12:09 AM
  12. Beloved of Assur

Beloved of Assur Active Member

Pausanias' "Guide to Greece" is done in regards to Boiotia and now I am reading "Boiotia in Antiquity" by Albert Schachter and Hans Beck.

13. Dogberry's Watch

Dogberry's Watch Member

Still reading what I posted about last time, but I also tossed in The Queen of the Night by Alexander Chee. It's a ridiculously indulgent book. Indulgent for me, really, since it's not the typical thing I choose to read these days. But I'm a HUGE fan of Phantom of the Opera and this book had serious Phantom vibes, so I grabbed it for less than 7 bucks and I'm as giddy as a squid over it.

14. EFMingo

I need images of this, please! I'm picturing one of those little guys darting around in the dark waters happily zooming up and down after some food fell his way. It's fun.

As for my reading this week, I'm off the Asia to finish off my month of traveling around the world in literature. I don't have a lot of stuff this week, so the list is a bit shorter than usual.

Hanging out still in the middle East still to start, with the short story "Sultana's Dream" by Rokeya Hossain. Then I head far East with a poem, two short stories, a two-act play, and a novella: "The Vertical Coffin" by Tamura Ryuichi, "The Moon on the Water" and "Snow" by Kawabata Yasunari, Dialogue and Rebuttal by Gao Xingjian, and The Rite by Takenishi Hiroko, respectively.

I have read some Chinese and Japanese literature before, but it's always great to add more for a more well-rounded perspective.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020 at 6:59 AM
  15. jannert

jannert Who? Whooo? Staff Supporter Contributor

Catching up on this thread makes me understand the concept of Impostor Syndrome. I have it, in spades. You guys read such challenging material. I need to get off my butt, don't I?

EFMingo likes this.