What Are You Reading Now.

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Writing Forums Staff, Feb 22, 2008.

1. EFMingo

EFMingo A Modern Dinosaur Supporter Contributor

There's quite a few. 26 in total on the series, I believe, but I could be mistaken. I really love the magic system in place, and after the first few books the world-building really catches up to be massive. But Jordan makes his money in absolutely gorgeous settings, and just descriptions in general. I always felt like I could visualize his settings and creatures better than most others. Yep, I'm definitely interested in getting back to them, and I'll probably even restart entirely, but I've got five novels to read critically next month...well maybe six actually. Hopefully time will clear.

Dogberry's Watch likes this.
  2. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

Friedrich Kugelschreiber marshmallow Contributor

I tried reading it. I didn't make it far into The Wheel of Time, but what I read struck me as a long-winded Tolkien knock-off. It seemed drab. I don't know if that's true or not, though. Does it get better?

Dogberry's Watch and EFMingo like this.
  3. EFMingo

Entirely different world in general. Feels less like a knock off then most other fantasy. Invented entirely different creature sets that I adore. And the magic system is entirely different. Yes, it is a long read. But it gets better. Dont try to power through them. He is more long winded, but I like the flavor.

4. Dogberry's Watch

Dogberry's Watch Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2023

Yes, it gets better. The first book I texted my brother the whole time I was reading it and kept comparing it to Lord of the Rings, and he finally told me to be quiet and just read it. So, I did, and by the time I got to the end, I was on the Rand Train 100%.

^^ This. The magic system is interesting, and the characters/creatures (Loial is a particular favorite) give so much depth to the story. It is ... quite tasty.

5. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

Ok, I may try it. My local bookshop just reopened I think or will soon (yay phase 2), and I know they have all the Tor titles.
    It is harder to be more long-winded than Tolkien though. I love The Hobbit and The Silmarillion, but LOTR largely leaves me cold as it was written.
    Your brother sounds very wise. It is usually best to shut up and read it.

6. EFMingo

It's a different kind of long-winded. Tolkien loved to set up and draw out his histories, down to utter monotony at times (there are a few chapters I can think of that I could really enjoy never reading again). Jordan like to add a lot of imagery and draw out scenes. I kind of love it to be honest, but he didn't really catch the richest of his stride until book two, where it becomes a bit more visceral. As @Dogberry's Watch mentions, some of the characters are quite incredible, especially Loial, Perrin, or Morraine for me.

But truly, yes, don't go around comparing it like a slightly off-set pair of twins. They are children of entirely different families. If you do choose to read it, put the other out of your mind.

7. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    Yeah, screw them damn moochers and looters!

[​IMG]

Xoic, EFMingo and Dogberry's Watch like this.
  8. Dogberry's Watch

Dogberry's Watch Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2023

I made a sound of pure delight at this.

Iain Aschendale and Xoic like this.
  9. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

I am reading The Old Man and the Sea. I love it very much.
    However, I intend to soon embark upon The Gormenghast novels. I have tried them before and never made it much further than several hundred pages. However, I think that they are among the finest achievements of English literature; the brilliance of Mervyn Peake is really amazing. @Steerpike, encourage me. I assume you have read them.

Steerpike, Rzero and EFMingo like this.
  10. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

Just William - book 1 [saddo], Richmal Crompton

Last edited: May 20, 2020
  11. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Yes, a couple of times. They're among my favorites. I love Peake's writing, dense as it can be. I know the style isn't for anyone, which is fine. My approach the first time was to enjoy the words for their own sake, and after going along in that fashion I was drawn into the characters and story as well, especially in the first two books.

12. Historical Science

Historical Science Contributor Contributor

The Successful Novelist by David Morrell

13. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

The Pulp Fiction thread got me digging through my 1950s sci-fi, and I picked out Rendezvous with Rama by Arthur C. Clarke. It was written in the 70s, and it isn't pulp fiction, but you get the idea. I haven't read it since high school.

Decent enough book. The writing is kind of Dick and Jane and the characterization is nonexistent, but it does the trick.

Krispee and Iain Aschendale like this.
  14. Krispee

Krispee Contributor Contributor

I always thought of Clarke as being one of the better writers of that older Sci-Fi era, although a bit metaphysical sometimes. Can't remember if I read Rama or not.

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  15. dbesim

dbesim Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor

Whether or not you’ve got a copy of the book in your hands is beside the point. This has absolutely nothing to do with you. You’re not the one reading the goddam book.

16. Aaron Smith

Aaron Smith Banned Contributor

What are you talking about?

17. dbesim

You know what??

Never mind.

18. Aaron Smith

Aaron Smith Banned Contributor

For what it's worth, I was making a reference to this clip

sort of to mirror the "derivative and cliche" phrase.

19. dbesim

Ah, ok.
    That puts everything in context now. :dead:

20. Homer Potvin

Yeah, he's decent enough. Nary a hint of characterization anywhere to be found, though. I mean, there are characters that exist and say things, but there doesn't tend to be much to tell any of them apart.

Rama is his best I think out of the 10-12 paperbacks I have on my shelf.

Krispee likes this.
  21. Krispee

I know I've read a few of his short stories, but I honestly can't remember any of them. Perhaps that speaks for itself.

22. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    There are some characters with character in 2010: Odyssey 2. It's always been interesting to me though how like David Bowman (he came first) Neil Armstrong turned out to be. Those of us who follow him on social media know that Buzz Aldrin is...quite interesting, but I've heard that it was because of that interestingness that Armstrong got the honor of putting down the first bootprints. NASA didn't want someone who might showboat and spoil the image of the program. Like Armstrong, Bowman was just the picture of quiet, boring confidence and competence.

In 2002, some yahoo moon-landing denier tried to harrass then 72-year-old Aldrin into admitting that Apollo 11 was a hoax. It didn't end well for him.

Homer Potvin and Krispee like this.
  23. Krispee

Interesting story, and why would you harass someone in the street? That guy asking the questions was the coward. I don't get the people who want to believe it didn't happen, what do they get out of it? I'm sure there's a book or two out there about it all, just to keep it on topic :D

24. Homer Potvin

Yeah, so now I'm reading Rama II, which was around the time he started writing with Gentry Lee (1988?) and doing more collaborations in general. Characters with characters starting showing up too. They're still really vanilla, but at least he made an attempt.

25. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    The denier booked a room in the hotel and pretended that he was organizing an interview with Buzz Aldrin for a Japanese children's TV science show. Scam from the word go, when he showed the his footage to the cops they declined to charge Aldrin.

Rzero and Krispee like this.