What Are You Reading Now.

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Writing Forums Staff, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

Friedrich Kugelschreiber marshmallow Contributor

I loved the Silmarillion beyond reason. By far the best thing Tolkien ever wrote in my opinion.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
    Krispee and jannert like this.
  2. EFMingo

EFMingo A Modern Dinosaur Supporter Contributor

Some of it I really did, but I think that's because I'm the type of person that reads all of the text lore in a game in the notes as you discover it.

3. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

And I'm the sort of person that compulsively reads all the footnotes and appendices and critical introductions. But the stories were so good. I like reading mythology and folk tales and this was just the same thing.

Krispee and EFMingo like this.
  4. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

I might have liked it, if it hadn't been Tolkien? Dunno. I guess it was just so NOT Tolkien that I felt cheated. It was a LONG time ago, though. I bought The Silmarillion as soon as it came out, because I was so keen. Then disappointed.

That being said, I did read all the Appendixes to The Lord of the Rings ...but the only ones that really interested me were the ones pertaining to the LOTR characters ...what happened to them after the story finished, etc. I can't say I got into the other high elf stuff at all.

Krispee likes this.
  5. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

I thought it really was though. It felt like Tolkien at his very best after having been liberated from the novel form. Nothing but narrative baby :superyesh:
    And the worldbuilding was so excellent...he'd been developing it since like 1914 and everything was so mature. Such an epic book.

Larro, Krispee and jannert like this.
  6. jannert

I might give it another try. I don't remember it being awful. I just remember being disappointed because it wasn't a novel!

7. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

It's not a novel, that's for sure.

Krispee likes this.
  8. Krispee

Krispee Contributor Contributor

I've heard that it isn't really a novel, but as you guys have pointed out, more lore about the realm he created. I have read some of the other books they brought out, and I enjoyed them, just can't remember their names; they are sitting alongside the LOTR somewhere I expect.

9. J.T. Woody

J.T. Woody Book Witch Contributor

the books have now formed an overwhelmingly large mountain thats on the verge of collapsing on me:

Wanted to delve into Penny Dreadful (anthology of horror) but never did,
    Bought Queen of Blood by Sarah Beth Durst and am like 4 pages in...
    wanted to reread the Samaria series by Sharon Shinn (they are currently stacked on my dining room table)
    have to read and review 5 books for work (i started one as an audiobook... another is a comic book, that I've booked the author for a virtual visit in 2 weeks and I need to read this thing to interview him.... the others are for various programs which i got roped into leading)
    also checked out Sharks in the Time of Saviors by Kawai Strong Washburn (have not started it yet)
    Still have not finished Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage and I was really getting in to it too!

-sighs-

10. jannert

Yikes.

J.T. Woody and Rzero like this.
  11. Krispee

Yikes two, I think you might need to prioritize.

J.T. Woody likes this.
  12. J.T. Woody

Prioritize shmioritize!
    [​IMG]

13. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

The Sorcerer of the Wildeeps

[​IMG]

Iain Aschendale and J.T. Woody like this.
  14. Krispee

Well, as long as you have coffee...

15. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    Haven't started that one yet.

16. Night Herald

Night Herald The Fool Contributor

Hemingway's A Farewell to Arms. First time with Ernest. I think I'm a fan. There's definitely something to be learned from his style of writing.

Joe Abercrombie's The Trouble With Peace just came out, and is already sitting pretty in my Audible app. Saving it for the weekend, when I can give it my undivided attention for a couple hours at a time. Very excited for this sequel after the explosive, riveting first.

17. Dogberry's Watch

Dogberry's Watch Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023 Contest Winner 2022

Finished The Dragon Reborn and now I'm looking at my shelves of books to read, and I have an embarrassing amount I've started and put aside for whatever reason. So the next books I read will be those. Starting with this beauty: The Invention of Murder by Judith Flanders.

A bit of non fiction to balance out all the fiction I've read recently. Then I might try to finish Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand. But I probably won't, to be honest. I have to be in the mood for Rand and I'm usually not.

18. MusingWordsmith

MusingWordsmith Shenanigan Master Contributor

Just finished Lonesome Dove. Very interesting book I'm looking forwards to talking about in the Forum Book Club.

19. Samlet

Samlet Active Member

The Sense of Style: The Thinking Person's Guide to Writing in the 21st Century by Steven Pinker.

[​IMG]

I've always been a sucker for How To books, and this one is engaging and informing, though hardly light reading. One minor annoyance - very early on, he uses his own wife's work as an example of excellence. That grates a bit, particularly as I didn't agree with him on the quality of the piece.

20. Krispee

Been working through the First Law trilogy, very good it is too. Is your book connected to the First Law or something new?

Night Herald likes this.
  21. Night Herald

Night Herald The Fool Contributor

Yep, same world. There's the original trilogy, and then the three stand-alone novels. This second trilogy takes place 15 years after the last of those, Red Country. I recommend you stick with this franchise, it just keeps getting better.

Krispee likes this.
  22. Inessa

Inessa New Member

Current read is Gillian Flynn's grand Gone Girl, and oh boy, is it great! Not many surprises considering that I've already watched the movie, but very enjoyable still. Made me laugh out loud a few times, actually.

Rzero, dbesim and EFMingo like this.
  23. dbesim

dbesim Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor

I discovered Sophie Kinsella and am since enjoying this writer’s upbeat tone very much.

I find her very inspiring. Although her market’s probably targeted more for the girly-girls, the lads might take to it too if they enjoy those traditional types of romance stories with those feel-good happy endings. I read Can You Keep A Secret about a lady who spills all of her deepest secrets to a stranger on an airplane, assumes that thankfully she’s never going to see him again. Then, to her mortification, she discovers that he’s the owner and top boss of the corporation she’s works at! Oh dear, oh dear.

Now I’m reading a book called Remember Me? about a lady who’s caught up in an accident, wakes up in hospital and discovers that she’s been living another “picture-perfect” existence all along. She’s a super-toned twenty-eight-year-old, her teeth are straight, she's the boss of her department - and she's married to a good-looking millionaire! The problem is she can’t remember ever having lived this new lifestyle at all!

I find these themes quite interesting and am enjoying this read.. so I do recommend. :p

24. MusingWordsmith

MusingWordsmith Shenanigan Master Contributor

Went to the library and picked up Jim Butcher's The Aeronaut's Windlass (#1 in the Cinder Spires), Grady Hendrix's The Southern Book Club to Slaying Vampires and Martha Wells All Systems Red (#1 in the Murderbot diaries). Haven't started reading any of them yet but looking at my little pile makes me happy. I believe I'll start All Systems Red first.

Krispee likes this.
  25. J.T. Woody

I REEEEALLY want to read this one. During the Pandemic shut downs, i tried to get a virtual book club going (this was my pick) but no one else wanted to read it:bigfrown:
    Ended up reading some Christian non-fiction book....

I look forward to your updates on this book!!:-D