What Are You Reading Now.

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Writing Forums Staff, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Rizona

Rizona Member

Wow, some great books here that bring back memories. I read The Beach a long time ago and really enjoyed it. I can still get the feel of that island vibe many years later. And The Stand - fantastic!

I just read Norwegian Wood by Murakami and...wow. It was hard to know how to follow that one. Amazing book which references many other amazing books and songs.

I am now reading Kafka. I somehow made it to my 40s without reading him. I'm starting with The Trial.

Now I can can finally have a real sense of the term 'kafkaesque.' (although hopefully I won't experience those situations too much, hehe)

EFMingo and Seven Crowns like this.
  2. Krispee

Krispee Contributor Contributor

Really? Well, maybe I'll take a look, but not right now, I'm not committing to anything else just now.

3. Seven Crowns

Seven Crowns Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor Contest Winner 2022

Hyperion is like Canterbury Tales, so I've heard. Just with the way the characters are laid out. It's on my to-read list too. I'll either read that or Carrion Comfort. Maybe I'll fit it in this month . . .

4. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

I've tried to read it six times and haven't made it past page 3 yet.

5. Krispee

Are you more hard SciFi then? I've just started The Expanse and so far it's a good read, well written. More space opera though in this case.

Seven Crowns and EFMingo like this.
  6. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

Friedrich Kugelschreiber marshmallow Contributor

What turned you off? I don't remember the beginning too well.

7. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

The words. Specifically the order they were written in.

Robert Musil, Xoic, Krispee and 2 others like this.
  8. Seven Crowns

It's time . . .

[​IMG]

"The Weird: A Compendium of Strange and Dark Stories" by Jeff Vandermeer. I've read some of this here and there, but I'm going to start at page 1 and plow to the end.

Amazon says it's 1100 pages, but that's really downplaying it. The print is small and it's written in two-column layout. It's 750k words. So for a normal novel-formatted book, it would be 2500 pages.

Krispee, EFMingo and Xoic like this.
  9. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

I got that quite recently and have read a few stories. Very pleased with it so far. But damn, it's a real massive tome, and the cover likes to fray and curl at the edges. Kinda gives it that lived-in look though, ya know?

You need to find a way to set it down while reading, in your lap or something. It weighs approximately the same as a bowling ball I think.

Krispee and Seven Crowns like this.
  10. Krispee

I'm feeling the same about my start of The Expanse series. I remember Jeff Vandermeer for his Southern Reach trilogy (I only read the first, so far) but I've never heard of this.

Seven Crowns and Xoic like this.
  11. Xoic

The Weird was edited by both Jeff and his wife Ann. I recently finished Jeff's entire Southern Reach trilogy. @Krispee , I can safely tell you, if you enjoyed Annihilation, and if your taste ventures out into the weird end of things, you'll most likely love the rest of the trilogy. Each book is very different from its predecessors. In the final book Acceptance, all rules are out the window. Jeff plays insane games with tense and person and grammar and all the rest of it. And he's good enough to pull it off, at least in my opinion.

Seven Crowns and Krispee like this.
  12. Krispee

Good to know, I did enjoy Annihilation so will definitely wade into the others at some point. From what I remember his writing is good. Having looked up Amazon Vandermeer does tend towards to weird in his work, most of his novels are leaning in that direction.

Seven Crowns likes this.
  13. Xoic

He's been dubbed the Weird Thoreau because of his fascination with wilderness and nature. He and his wife are wildlife/ecology activists, and he considers his writing a part of his activism.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2021
    Krispee likes this.
  14. Krispee

Interesting...

Xoic likes this.
  15. ruskaya

ruskaya Contributor Contributor

I read The Wife by Meg Wolitzer because I watched the movie--I watched the movie because I like Glenn Close's acting, but realized just how stereotypical the script was. The movie is made ok by the acting, but the story is mostly boring and predictable. I was somewhat hooked because there is a "mystery", but when they reveal the answer to the mystery it is just overdone. So I became curious of what in the book was so appealing that made them decide to make a movie out of it.

The book is great. The writing brings you right into the world of the MC, although at times there is too much description, but that is a personal preference. It describes the condition of women, especially of writers as wives, in the lifetime of the MC, marked by her early years in the '50s and '60s, and the decisions she takes because of it. The tone of the book is bitter for a good reason, but the writing makes you want to go ahead and continue reading. Perhaps the one thing I think it is missing is a more definite description of why she spends all of her life by her husband (the great writer)'s side, although it is easy to guess why. It is not depicted so strongly as it should be, I think. What strikes me (in an absolute-positive way) about this book is how the different factors in her life (being a wife, an author, her relationships with her children and other authors' wives, etc.) intertwine together, and how they affect the way she decides to live her life, the attitude she takes, which is not that dramatic (as the movie shows). This gives a dimension of truth, as we don't view or interpret our lives dramatically, but just as decisions in response to what is going on around us.

To make a comparison between movie and book, in the movie a female author gives a lecture about her book and advises the MC not to waste her time becoming an author because of the judgmental sexism of the publishing world, and the audience has to guess what impact that had on the MC. The audience is left wondering why this character has such a big scene in the movie. In the book, we get to read about what the MC thinks and how she processes that information, and we realize how important she is for the MC, as her words resonate with her years later.

I recommend the reading.

Seven Crowns, dbesim and Rizona like this.
  16. EFMingo

EFMingo A Modern Dinosaur Supporter Contributor

After two weeks, I finally finished Ann Radcliffe's The Mysteries of Udolpho. It had some fantastically great elements in it, as well as some very near unforgivable. It is also the perfect example of what happens when the publisher prints your manuscript without sending it through the editor mill.

The novel is a Gothic romance by the mother of the genre herself, but it is difficult to get through and if you're not in the mood it can be extremely tedious. At over 180k words, it's about 80k to 120k longer than a Gothic romance really needs to be. It's so long, that it completes most of its plot about two-thirds the way through, dumps all the evil characters, then springs up with a whole host of new characters who actually take control of the third person point of view often. It's like you're reading a separate book that relates every-so-often to the first two-thirds. Then it ends like crap, and extremely predictably as all Radcliffe novels are. Radcliffe has a fear of actually using the supernatural in writing, which she only does in her last and mostly unsuccessful novel. So it goes without saying that all her little toss ins of spooky happenings are going to be explained away in due time.

Clearly, by this, you can see something like a quarter of the novel would be better off not there. "But what about the other 40k of words that can be cut" you might ask. Quite simply, it's in description. I can't tell you how many God damn times this novel describes mountains. Yes, the imagery is beautiful, and highly exemplifies how to utilize the sublime in description for contrast, but how many times do we have to see it? The lead character, Emily St. Aubert, travels a lot. So we get a travelogue novel stuck in the middle of a Gothic romance. It takes forever. Quite literally, I think almost that many descriptions could be cut down from this. It's even complained about by critics of the day, and mind you, this is Victorian era literature. If the descriptions are long for them, they crawl now.

On the opposite end though, it is quite literally a painting in words. Radcliffe's imagery is absolutely fantastic when you have the time and patience for it. If it wasn't so unGodly redundant in separate scenes, it would be exceptional. She was an avid viewer of natural art, which was quite popular at the time. A lot of her descriptions are based on these powerfully depicted scenes by artists of the day practicing realism. The sublime elements give thematic control and tone to each scene, keeping the mood right. Radcliffe is a master of rising tension as well, drawing the reader continuously on with (for the day) wild intensity. Her "horror" is not so much scary today, but getting to that point is good.

It's a bit of a shame. About half way through this novel it really peaks and I was quite excited to read, but then it just drops and mostly restarts. I wish I had liked it more, but as I said, this is a prime example of when no publisher wants to cut your work because of popularity. She was the highest paid writer of her day, so basically untouchable. The novel however, was a vast improvement in style from her previous A Sicilian Romance.

Next up is my last Radcliffe for the month. I'm reading The Italian, which is a direct reaction to Matthew Lewis' The Monk, a shocking novel for its day. Though The Mysteries of Udolpho novel was an absolute pain, I'm still a bit excited for this one. It's also only 120k on the word count, which is quite a bit more palatable.

17. love to read

love to read Senior Member

I’ve just finished The Coffin Path by Katherine Clements. It was a nice read but…

… I didn’t like the ending! It was so grim (everyone except the MC was dead, including her dog). Plus, she had a side story involving three old coins and I’m still a bit confused about the way she solved it.
    I’ve started with Infinity Son by Adam Silvera now. I read They Both Die at the End by him and loved it. But (wow, the second but in such a short passage ;)) I’m afraid he is losing me right now. It’s never a good sign when you desperately wish for a glossary, and I don’t like it when I feel like a dumb reader while reading. Well, we’ll see.

18. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

Friedrich Kugelschreiber marshmallow Contributor

Soviet Blitzkrieg Theory, "a book the West cannot afford to ignore." It was written in 1983. It examines the possibility of the Soviets waging a conventional war against NATO, and the Soviet doctrines and beliefs regarding such a war. It cites a lot of original Soviet military sources. It's interesting. Only 200 pages so I'll finish it quickly if I finish it at all.

Seven Crowns, EFMingo and Xoic like this.
  19. Dogberry's Watch

Dogberry's Watch Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2023

Finished The Invention of Murder, finally. Reading Wastelands: stories of the apocalypse now, about halfway through it. The first Witcher book is next for fiction, and I've got a decent start on a book about habits for my nonfiction this month.

Seven Crowns, EFMingo and Xoic like this.
  20. Seven Crowns

That Wastelands book has some awesome stories in it. If I remember, The People of Sand and Slag is in there. Ginny Sweethips' Flying Circus is too. Two of my personal favorites.
    That "Postman" excerpt is cool too. I wish the whole novel could have kept it up, but it kind of goes off the rails at the end.

Dogberry's Watch, Krispee and Xoic like this.
  21. Xoic

Wow, I didn't realize Wastelands was Paolo Bacigalupi's book! I've read Pump Six (loved it) and a couple of the stories he's got posted on his website, the Fluted Girl and I think the other one was People of Sand and Slag. I remember really liking Fluted Girl especially. Such a powerful imagination!

Seven Crowns and Krispee like this.
  22. Krispee

Orson Scott Card and Martin are also in that Wastelands you mentioned, a veritable cornucopia of great writers inside. Haven't heard of it before but I also have read Bacigalupi's work before and it is very imaginative stuff.

23. Dogberry's Watch

Dogberry's Watch Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2023

I'm enjoying it very much so far. Some are a bit obvious as far as "end of the world" stories go, but it's a solid collection with authors I don't normally gravitate toward.

Xoic, Seven Crowns and Krispee like this.
  24. Seven Crowns

Wastelands is an anthology. He has one of his stories at the front. I've read that "Pump 6" too. Mainly because I read this book and wanted to read more by him. That guy is top tier!
    (I might be remembering wrong about the Postman. . . there's a second Wastelands anthology and I sometimes confuse them. The first one is the best though.)

Krispee, dbesim and Xoic like this.
  25. Krispee

Yes, but he tends toward the dystopian, and his apocalyptic visions do seem to have a similar thread sometimes. I like him though, Windup Girl is great.

Seven Crowns likes this.