What Are You Reading Now.

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Writing Forums Staff, Feb 22, 2008.

1. EFMingo

EFMingo A Modern Dinosaur Supporter Contributor

Glad to hear this. My mother's favorite book. I've had it on my shelf for a while, but I'm happy to see someone else say it's worth the time too.

Historical Science likes this.
  2. AntPoems

AntPoems Contributor Contributor

Ooh, that's a classic. One of my favorites. I actually referenced it in another thread recently for its great mix of characters. And it has one of my favorite chapters of all time, which I won't spoil for you. You're in for a treat. :)

Historical Science likes this.
  3. Earp

Earp Contributor Contributor

Skimming my way through, Stop! A Handy Monitor, Pocket Conscience and Portable Guardian against the World, the Flesh and the Devil
    by Nathan Dean Urner, which I came across on Project Gutenberg while looking for something else. Very funny, and oddly intriguing.

Excerpt: "Stop, once more, and remember that every man who will play cards for
    money, will in time, cheat. He may set out honestly enough, but it is
    only a question of time before he will take an unfair advantage in
    'self-defense'. What, then, can be thought of a practice that almost
    necessitates dishonesty?"

The introduction mentions Mary J. Holmes, who I had never heard of, but was apparently quite the sensation around the turn of the last century, having sold two million copies of her novels, second only to Harriet Beecher Stowe.

4. GrahamLewis

GrahamLewis Seeking the bigger self Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2024 Contest Winner 2023

an oasis of PC midst right-wing extremism
    Currently Reading::
    Zen Flesh, Zen Bones
    The Varieties of Religious Experience by William James. Published in 1902. He has more than once been called "the father of modern psychology, and in this book (really a compilation of lectures) he makes a strong case for there being some kind of valid spiritual aspect to life, even if one looks at everything from a totally pragmatic, empirical perspective. Some fascinating stories and anecdotes in there, ranging from people we would likely call "wackos" to more "mainstream" religious writers.

AntPoems and Xoic like this.
  5. storytellerheart4life

storytellerheart4life New Member

champon the 3 book in legend by marie lu and the midnite libary i just finshed the sun down motel i liked it

6. GrahamLewis

GrahamLewis Seeking the bigger self Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2024 Contest Winner 2023

Zen Flesh, Zen Bones
    Thought you might like it, Xoic

Xoic likes this.
  7. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

I have it somewhere, not sure if it's on Kindle or physical. I started to read it a while back, but had so many books going at the same time it fell through the reading cracks along with a bunch of others. It's one I'd like to get back to at some point, as well as Mircea Eliade's awesome 2-volume History of Religious Ideas. These are some beautiful books:
    [​IMG]

Oh yeah, 3 volume set. I've only got the first 2. Those I bought physical copies of because they're impressive as all hell on a bookshelf, though mine are paperback unlike these. Still things of beauty though.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2021
    AntPoems likes this.
  8. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

Friedrich Kugelschreiber marshmallow Contributor

he has a point

9. AntPoems

Ooh, that's a fascinating book. Be sure to follow it up with Carl Sagan's sequel "The Varieties of Scientific Experience".

Xoic likes this.
  10. AntPoems

I'll have to check those out someday. I read part of a one volume Eliade book years ago (I forget the name) and found it amazing. I'd love to read more. (Damn, like my to-read stack isn't high enough)

Xoic likes this.
  11. Xoic

@AntPoems I believe I've read all of Sagan's books, at least the entire series that includes Cosmos, which begins with the creation of the universe and works its way through book by book up to the creation of life on Earth and then of Humanity. Then he wrote one about superstition called The Demon-Haunted World and one about atavistic instincts and urges that show up in us from some of our animal ancestors called Shadows of Forgotten Ancestors. Excellent!! I was extremely science-based/atheistic at that time, and I'm very glad I read all the books, but I've since loosened up on any form of hard atheism and opened up to spiritual and religious ideas. Though they don't conflict with science because, as Jordan Peterson is fond of saying, religion is about how to live your life (moral), and science is about what the universe is made of (data/factual).

I do recall that Sagan wrote Varieties of Scientific Experience, but don't remember if I've read it or not.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2021
  12. AntPoems

You should definitely read TVOSE if you haven't! It really is a follow-up to James' book. James and Sagan were the only two scientists to give the annual Giffords Lecture on Natural Theology, and both books are derived from their presentations. The lecture series is traditionally about evidence for God and/or spirituality in nature, and while James used it to discuss the psychology of belief, Sagan spoke about his view of science as "informed worship." As he put it, if a higher being really did create this beautiful universe and give us the faculties to understand it, then we owe it to them to learn as much as we can. That's one of the things I liked about Sagan. While he rejected traditional religions, he was open to spirituality and the possibility of something greater. I try to keep a similar attitude.

GrahamLewis likes this.
  13. GrahamLewis

Zen Flesh, Zen Bones
    I didn't know about the Lecture Series. Guess I should have read the "Introduction."

AntPoems likes this.
  14. J.T. Woody

J.T. Woody Book Witch Contributor

had to share this!
    [​IMG]

I'm working in the Children's Room again this morning and came across this picture book that made me tear up and want to hug my own grandpa.
    its about an Americanized boy and his traditional Vietnamese grandfather overcoming their language and cultural burier through their love of drawing.

Rzero and B.E. Nugent like this.
  15. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Telemachus Sneezed
    If you see an animated series of the same name on TV, be aware that it's something very different. :)

Rzero and J.T. Woody like this.
  16. J.T. Woody

J.T. Woody Book Witch Contributor

I know exactly which series you are talking about:superwink:

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  17. Bone2pick

Bone2pick Conspicuously Conventional Contributor

I gave up on Elric of Melnibone and Other Stories. I admire Moorcock's writing/prose but I couldn't develop an appetite for his plot, world and characters.

18. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

His name is Moorcock? I wonder what business his family was in back in the day.

Bone2pick likes this.
  19. AntPoems

Bulk rooster delivery, of course. What else could it be?

Homer Potvin likes this.
  20. Xoic

I remember having pretty much the same reaction. I like the idea, I wanted to like the book, but I just didn't.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2021
  21. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

I read all those Elric books in high school and loved them. Haven’t tried to revisit them.

EFMingo likes this.
  22. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Finished Project Hail Mary. Enjoyed it overall. Some convenient plot holes here and there and for all the science research Weir does there’s a court room scene that makes it clear he didn’t do any research whatsoever on federal courts or federal procedure, but on the whole it was a fun romp.

Iain Aschendale and EFMingo like this.
  23. EFMingo

EFMingo A Modern Dinosaur Supporter Contributor

I've restarted my long trek through Robert Jordan's epic series The Wheel of Time. I'm starting fresh with book one, The Eye of the World. I've read this one before, and the one after, but this long series requires me to refresh myself on the series. I'm probably not going to go straight through all the books at once, naturally, but it's bound to be a long and fun project over the course of the rest of this year and into the next. Five chapters and intro through so far and I'm having trouble putting it down to do homework. I missed reading the epic fantasy novels. It's just a comfortable pleasure.

Bone2pick and love to read like this.
  24. love to read

love to read Senior Member

I‘ve finished ‚Magpie Murders‘ by Anthony Horowitz today.
    It was a nice read. I liked the ‚Book in a book‘-idea and was almost a little sad that there was no real Atticus Pünd series. For some reason, it took me a long time to finish it, though. I’m still trying to figure out why some books are a slower read than others.
    Now continuing with Marc Elsberg’s ‚Gier‘ (Greed). It’s one of the seldom books I read in German.
    Marc Elsberg writes thrillers that often circle around current problems/topics of society. This one focuses on economics and social inequality. I usually get his books as audiobooks, and while reading this one, I remember why. It seems that I’m a bit more generous while listening to something when it comes to stylistics than when I’m actually reading it. Anyway, it’s a quick read, and the story isn’t too bad.
    The next one on the list is ‚Later‘ by Stephen King.

25. Historical Science

Historical Science Contributor Contributor

Checking in. Nearly finished with it. Already ordered the next 2.

AntPoems likes this.