What Are You Reading Now.

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Writing Forums Staff, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Midlife Maniac

Midlife Maniac Active Member

I think it’s a good book that just goes on a little longer than it should. Slaughterhouse 5 is a better book in my humble opinion; it’s shorter, more digestible, and the humor is more to my liking.

2. Triduana

Triduana Member

I read Catch-22 a while back. I loved the writing, but after about half way through I realised I had no idea what was going on. I may try it again at some point.

I'm part way through Mexican Gothic by Silvia Moreno-Garcia now. It's good but it is taking me a while to get through.

3. Francis de Aguilar

Francis de Aguilar Contributor Contributor

The big sleep.

4. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    Three books concurrently:

Street Without Joy
    Bernard Fall

Last and First Men
    Olaf Stapledon

Elfhome
    Wen Spencer

5. dbesim

dbesim Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor

I’ve just finished reading Dune Messiah, the second of the trilogy (technically, there are actually six in the series but the book I’m reading only hosts the trilogy).

I thought the second had far more interesting concepts that the first.. and the plot thickens. If anyone wants an overview of how difficult life is to be considered a “Messiah” amongst a vast group of people who “believe”, then this is the book to read. I was fascinated by the themes explored in book two, especially the part where
    the Tleilaxu decided to resurrect the dead Duncan Idaho in the form of a ghola so that they could manipulate him with other gholas i.e so that he could resurrect the people the he loves, including his beloved wife, Chani, who passes away before giving birth to twins. He does not give in to the Tleilaxu’s schemes, however, though that would have made life a lot easier for him and I think I somewhat admired his decision not to.

A better more interesting read than the first book, and a whole lot more shorter. I look forward to progressing to the third book.

AntPoems likes this.
  6. Richach

Richach Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2022

My intention is to read 10 books before Christmas and just finished the first -

Troy - Our Greatest Story Retold - By Stephen Fry.

All in all an excellent book. Both Trojans and Greeks really were rotters! Not to mention the gods…

Now reading

The Thursday Murder Club - by Richard Osman (Debut). By all accounts this is an excellent book too.

EFMingo likes this.
  7. ruskaya

ruskaya Contributor Contributor

I read people raving about The Thursday Murder Club and I am now considering reading it. I am about to finish reading a classic that took me way too long to finish, so I am considering reading an entertaining cozy murder mystery with humor (I hear).

Richach likes this.
  8. Midlife Maniac

Midlife Maniac Active Member

A few people have told me Troy is a good read. Might have to put that somewhere on the list...

Chromewriter and Richach like this.
  9. Earp

Earp Contributor Contributor

Reading The Cornbread Wars, the story of a plucky country gal and her retired-musician husband and their epic battle against the evils of Big Sugar. It's sort of Julia Child meets Erin Brockovich.

10. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

Friedrich Kugelschreiber marshmallow Contributor

I liked the vivid descriptions of Wyoming ranch life.

11. Catriona Grace

Catriona Grace Mind the thorns Contributor Contest Winner 2022

So may I assume they are no-sugar-in-the-cornbread extremists?

12. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Where do I sign up? :D

EFMingo likes this.
  13. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    5ll3zf.jpg

14. Catriona Grace

Blasphemer.

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  15. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    Direct me to a cornbread recipe you like, I'm actually pretty flexible about such things.

I'm a Chicago boy who can still appreciate a good New York style slice!

16. Catriona Grace

Fie, sir, I sent you my old family recipe. Too complex?

17. EFMingo

EFMingo A Modern Dinosaur Supporter Contributor

Just finished Robert Jordan's The Eye of the World, the first book of the giant The Wheel of Time series. Better than I remember, but still an introductory novel.

As all introductory novels to giant series do, this one spends an awful lot of time explaining its own lore which, while interesting, can get quite tedious. But the cyclical nature of time that Jordan takes makes for a very interesting turn of how wide that gap of time really is. In the ruins hidden in the forests and in the blight we gain only small glimpses of the lurking bombshell later, but it is fun to see it creep here and there in passing. Many things to be returned to, if innocuous scene setting at the moment.

The characters are mostly interesting, but Jordan spends so so much time individualizing them that it does drag at times. Still, most named characters take on a real life of their own, and I can see any one of them. Not to mention, Jordan's use of established races in the real world is pretty clever considering his interest in time.

What really gives me interest in this novel is his use of corruption. Evil plagues and corrupts in many interesting ways an though the basic light versus dark exists, the light's power is polluted by endless corruption as the wheel of time spins further on. The lore is dense and highly weaved. I'm excited to revisit book 2, The Great Hunt, soon. Also excited for the coming TV series, though it will ruin some aspects foreshadowed in the novels.

AntPoems likes this.
  18. AntPoems

AntPoems Contributor Contributor

I've been avoiding that one for a long time. I do love epic fantasy, and it has plenty of good reviews, but I have so many other things that I want to read that I'm reluctant to devote my time to one behemoth. Maybe someday; maybe not.

EFMingo likes this.
  19. EFMingo

EFMingo A Modern Dinosaur Supporter Contributor

I know my short bit didn't really do it justice. The novel is entirely worth reading and the series goes through waves of being some of the best there is in epic fantasy. I consider Jordan quite a bit better than Martin or Tolkien, making through the first four books as I had previously. But he does ramble a bit and I've heard some of the middle novels get really irritating in their cyclical fruitlessness of trying to change intended paths of the wheel. I think I'm finally at place to take on the beast in full form though. I'll let you know if it is worth the journey.

Right now I just need to catch back up to @Dogberry's Watch .

20. Catriona Grace

Reading my way through Asterix the Gaul. Currently reading Asterix and the Normans. Found a fine site that explains some of the Latin jokes and word plays and adds a dimension I didn't appreciate the first time I read the series.

21. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    Eh? Doko? (Huh? Where?). I've searched your postings for "recipe" and save the one quoted here I'm coming up blank, and we don't have any PMs. The only thing I can find about cornbread from you are your enthusiastic opinions about the absence of sugar.

22. Catriona Grace

I am so sorry! It was Friedrich who requested the cornbread recipe and to whom I sent it.

Enthusiastic? Please, my views on sugar in cornbread are fervent, equally only by my disdain for red tomatoes in anything referred to as green chili.

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  23. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    That's okay, it happens. I'll see if I can give it a shot soon.

24. ruskaya

ruskaya Contributor Contributor

@Catriona Grace , ohhhh could you, please, send me the recipe as well? Or post it on the forum? I have been hunting for a good cornbread recipe for a while now, tried out a few to disappointment . . . . looking for one with which I can produce a good outcome (not all recipes are equal).

25. Catriona Grace

@ruskaya I don't use exact measurements. If you're good with that, I'll send it.