What Are You Reading Now.

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Writing Forums Staff, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Night Herald

Night Herald The Fool Contributor

So Fonda Lee's new book, Jade Legacy, is out today. I had forgotten! I bought it immediately. Super eager to get in on that, but first I'm contending with Fall of Babel by Josiah Bancroft.

Listen, this is a good book, it's been great so far, this whole series is just superbly crafted. There are so many staggering new ideas and chilling revelations, building very well on what has come before. The worldbuilding continues to deliver, with the setting reaching beyond its Steampunk trappings into some Crystal Spires and Togas-type business, some Raygun Gothic or whatever, bit of a Bioshock vibe. I love it. The writing is so, so good and crisp. I'm just not well positioned, mentally speaking, to give this rich and dense affair the attention it deserves, so I'm kinda dragging my feet. I know I've let my mind wander and missed some juicy stuff, so I might start it fresh at a later time.

It's a weird coincidence that 3 series I follow have gotten their final volumes within a few months of each other. In so many ways, 2021 has been a year of endings. Here's hoping 2022 brings with it a few new beginnings and a few fresh adventures, in literature as in life.

Bone2pick likes this.
  2. J.T. Woody

J.T. Woody Book Witch Contributor

Reading Midnight: Water City , a futuristic crime thriller.

You know an author does a good job when his descriptions of this futuristic underwater city is giving you heart palpitations because of the anxiety of visualizing yourself in this underwater society, panicking at the possibility of your underwater apartment suddenly flooding and the deep sea pressure crushing you into a little ball (or a leak sucking your body through a tiny hole and your organs floating around outside your window)

o_O

3. Catriona Grace

Catriona Grace Mind the thorns Contributor Contest Winner 2022

...the deep sea pressure crushing you into a little ball (or a leak sucking your body through a tiny hole and your organs floating around outside your window)

Seriously, J.T., what did I do before I had your posts to read?

Shayne and J.T. Woody like this.
  4. J.T. Woody

.....not think about a gruesome deep sea death? :superthink:

Catriona Grace and Shayne like this.
  5. Bone2pick

Bone2pick Conspicuously Conventional Contributor

Season of Storms by Andrzej Sapowski. I'm only fifty pages in, but what I've read strikes me as a tonal departure from the rest of the series. The story's been very lighthearted with little tension. And that's not exactly what I hope for/expect from a Witcher book.

6. Vaughan Quincey

Vaughan Quincey Active Member

Currently Reading::
    JG Ballard - Concrete Island
    Thomas Mann - The Magic Mountain.
    Might write something about it when I'm through. That's how good it actually seems to me right now.

Midlife Maniac and EFMingo like this.
  7. Vaughan Quincey

Vaughan Quincey Active Member

Currently Reading::
    JG Ballard - Concrete Island
    I have. One of the best contemporary books, I think.
    I'm not sure if it's your kind of book though. Her style is not for everyone.
    If you are used to page turners, then probably you are not the intended audience. She is going to keep doing what she is doing until the very last page. It's not the book to be read on a hurry, just to kill time.

8. J.T. Woody

Ive finally filled my plate!

• Women in the Picture- my Car Ride book
    • Gory Details- my At Home book (when im feeling sciency)
    • Midnight: Water City- my At Home book (when im feeling fiction-y)
    • King of Battle and Blood- my Lunch book. (I read about it in PW and decided to read the first chapter a few mins ago. Im hooked!)

Last edited: Dec 9, 2021
  9. Dogberry's Watch

Dogberry's Watch Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2023

On Earth We're Briefly Gorgeous by Ocean Vuong

I'm still also reading The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson, but I had to stop and regroup because I was reading from a jealous writer's perspective and not an appreciative reader. One bit about a former soldier running through a spear kata and I am undone. Such a small moment in a book over a thousand pages long and yet it is, and I don't say this lightly, some of the best writing I've ever read. Had to hug the book for a moment after reading it. Okay, done being weird for now.

dbesim and EFMingo like this.
  10. Seven Crowns

Seven Crowns Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor Contest Winner 2022

Finished two books opposite in voice.

[​IMG]

"Drown" by Junot Diaz. (★★★★★)

This basically finishes for me everything Diaz has written fiction-wise. I wish he'd write more. It's a tragedy that he does not. He's been rather quiet since he won the Pulitzer in 2008. Well, I see a kid's book in 2018, but I have no interest in that. I'd also hesitate letting my kid read Diaz. haha. Actually, my kid just told me he finished reading "A Clockwork Orange." How much drugs and sex are in that? I assumed, a lot. Hmm . . . I'm a terrible parent. I guess . . . I don't believe in censoring books, and it saddens me to realize that he's probably old enough to be fine with this. I was reading worse in my day. Still, Clockwork Orange is probably not as lurid as Junot Diaz.

If I had to describe this book, first I'd say Spanglish. (not as much as say, "Zero Saints," but still quite a lot.) Then I'd add: gritty indifference, blunt honesty, ugliness and perseverance. It's written in a casual voice, extremely relaxed. Grammatically vulgar, but with these flourishes of imagery that give it stature. That's what interests me most as a writer. How does Diaz take these stories, which meander about with all the grace of a meat mallet, and then make them somehow high fiction? It's his timing with metaphor. He's quite clever and knows just when to elevate an idea. He never overdoes it. It's near perfect control.

If you're the type of reader who needs trigger warnings, then this is not for you. It's not an entirely pleasant journey. Some of it even bothered me. I appreciated its humor though. That almost never stops, even in the ugliest stories. My favorite character was the side character who had his face eaten off by a pig. He goes around with a bag on his head and all the kids chase him and torment him. He's probably the only "pure-hearted" character. The MC & co. chase him down to get that bag off his head. They want to see what he looks like. Those are the type of stories we're talking about. (I'm curious how much of this is autobiographical. I have a feeling that a lot of it is. The MC, Yunior, is basically Diaz.)

This is also yet another composite novel. It's a series of linked short stories. It takes a while before you realize that. I don't know why I keep choosing these. I don't mind them though. I feel it's the favored way to turn in a short story collection and have serious publishers believe in it. It's as if each chapter is a complete short story and a novel unfolds at the end.

[​IMG]

"Klara and the Sun" (★★)

Okay. I hated this. I reserve one-star ratings for books that hold the reader in contempt, and I do feel this one was mildly trying, so it gets two. The author knew how to write a sentence, more or less, but I could have easily written a better story than this. And I have, many times. What makes it so weird is that the author is a Nobel laureate. Yeah, a Nobel prize for literature. If that's so, then what the hell is this?

The premise is that an android is purchased from a store. It lives with a sick girl. (The sickness is never explained. "She's tired" is all that's said.) The android hopes she gets better and she does. The End.

The beginning where the android is hoping to be purchased is interesting. It's alright. The ending where the android is discarded in a junkyard is nice too (storywise, you understand). It's vaguely amusing that the android worships the sun (she's solar powered). Nothing else matters. Nothing. The characters are flat ciphers. Events occur that are never explained or even shown to be important. They just fill the page. The sci-fi elements are ignored. The story could take place at a house in the Hamptons, but there's AI robots. Most people are genetically altered ("lifted," they're called), but this doesn't seem to mean anything. It's never shown. At one point, 200 pages in, it's mentioned that the father lives in a "fascist enclave," or something to that effect, because there's some sort of war? I would never have guessed. No detail of it is mentioned in any way. And then that's dropped. It makes no sense. It should have some bearing on the story.

The worst part is the dialog. The book is probably 75% dialog and it is universally terrible. I'm okay with the android sounding demure, but not every character. It's some of the most pedestrian writing I've ever seen. Grammatically, it's fine. It's just hollow. It sounds like Leave it to Beaver or something. Characters have a habit of referring to each other by name.

PEOPLE DON'T TALK LIKE THIS. Trust me. We don't use each others names all that much. This is the most amateur of all dialog mistakes.

‘Not now, Paul. Not here.’
    ‘Hmm. Okay.’
    ‘Hey, Dad,’ Josie called out beside me. ‘<blah blah>’
    ‘Like hell you’re not listening,’ the Father said and laughed.
    ‘No more arguments about the portrait, Paul,’ the Mother said. ‘<blah blah>’
    ‘I owe you? I don’t quite see why I owe you anything, Chrissie.’
    ‘Not now, Paul.’​

Yeah, it ends with a repetition. I suppose that's okay. . . okay-ish. It may be deliberate but it's hard to tell when the text around it is broken. The whole book carries on this way. Nothing is said of importance. There is no tension. There's no purpose. And this isn't me being selective. I could pull dozens upon dozens of sections out of here that repeat names like this. Excluding that, much of the dialog is banal. Just terrible. Dialog should be revelatory.

At one point I thought that the entire world was being filtered through the android's AI. Everything I was reading was a lie. I assumed the filter would be broken and I would hear real dialog. I was that much in shock at its failure. I can't explain why someone with such accolades would write a story that says so little so poorly.

Here's some real dialog. From "Drown" (no quotation marks in Diaz's books):

What the hell are you wearing that mask for anyway? Rafa asked.
    I’m sick, Ysrael said.
    It must be hot.
    Not for me.
    Don’t you take it off?
    Not until I get better. I’m going to have an operation soon.
    You better watch out for that, Rafa said. Those doctors will kill you faster than the Guardia.
    They’re American doctors.
    Rafa sniggered. You’re lying.
    I saw them last spring. They want me to go next year.
    They’re lying to you. They probably just felt sorry.​

They didn't use each other's names! But how will we know who's speaking? See the repetition? (You're lying / They're lying) It deliberately intensifies. It's connecting the dialog flow at the end. It's sentence cohesion within a dialog, reaching back over a line. That's the type of trick a lauded expert should show. It's why I read fancy lit. The good stuff has a lot to teach you about mechanics and story. Look at this part!

You better watch out for that, Rafa said. Those doctors will kill you faster than the Guardia.
    They’re American doctors.
    That's a discourse trick. (Discourse is a weird field of semantics). The bag kid, Ysrael, didn't deny the statement. He moved to a counter-statement. He said "no" without saying "no." In the world of dialog, it's a "show don't tell." It holds those two lines tight together in the reader's mind. That's phenomenal writing, IMO.

Sorry for the mega-post. I blame the pictures.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2021
    Rizona, SethLoki, Daniil and 3 others like this.
  11. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

It sounds like the author wanted to avoid dialogue tags, so used this clumsy device instead. Yeah, it's pretty bad.

Seven Crowns likes this.
  12. Robert Musil

Robert Musil Comparativist Contributor

@Seven Crowns Dunno what people see in Ishiguro. I got through Never Let Me Go, which was passable, but people raved about it as if it was some masterpiece. The big, great, mind-bending twist ending was 100% telegraphed from--I don't think I'm exaggerating--the very first paragraph.

Seven Crowns likes this.
  13. Seven Crowns

This one was the same way. I looked at "Remains of the Day" just because I was curious about his other work, and that looked okay. Better than this, for sure. I usually can figure out why an author's great even if they're not my preference. But this time I just don't see what everyone else does. The 5-star reviews on this book (and there are many) are confounding. I'm reading them now.

I'll mention again (for anyone reading this): If you want sci-fi that is deeply emotional, beautifully written, imaginative and tense, read Ted Chiang's "Stories of Your Lives and Others." I cannot recommend that book highly enough. The sci-fi is there, but not in an geeky way. It's subdued, sometimes just a background element of the story. (okay, sometimes at the fore) It's shaping characters who are well-rounded and believable. Even if you never read that genre, you'll probably like those stories lots. I'd be surprised if anyone didn't. I would put it in my top 10 books of all time.

Robert Musil, Xoic and EFMingo like this.
  14. EFMingo

EFMingo A Modern Dinosaur Supporter Contributor

Not surprising. Everything Junot Diaz does is phenomenal. Nobody gives a character realistic voice like Diaz does, especially the low voices we don't ordinarily hear.

Seven Crowns likes this.
  15. Bone2pick

I haven't read that book, but I doubt it's for me. Exhalation: Stories, which I have read, wasn't.

Seven Crowns likes this.
  16. Seven Crowns

That's too bad. I read that one after the other book. It's probably more of a 4-star book, IMO. But I was in a good mood from the first and gave it like 4 1/2. If you really didn't like that one though, I guess you wouldn't like the other. You must be more of a w40K sci-fi fan? (This isn't an insult. I have a whole shelf of Black Library omnibuses. Omnibi?)

If I remember right, there was one story in there that I felt was excellent, and that was the one where the father is trying to repair the relationship with his estranged daughter. The whole story, it's shown that the daughter is a screw-up and her hysterics forced the two of them apart, until the father (through sci-fi device) sees the truth of what happened. You're siding with the father and then the rug's pulled out from under you. There weren't any clues that he was an unreliable narrator, but he was. I liked that.

Bone2pick and EFMingo like this.
  17. Bone2pick

I didn't hate it, mind you, it simply wasn't for me. In my opinion Chiang prioritized Theme (or message, if you differentiate the two) over Character in Exhalation: Stories. I understand that for a lot of readers that's fine, if not preferable. But for me, it resulted in each story reading similar to a parable. Albeit, expertly written parables. He raised some interesting questions, but he never tugged on my heart strings. And that's ultimately what I need from fiction.
    Well, 40k is like any other setting — it entirely depends on who's telling the story. I like Batman and Gotham City, but not Joel Schumacher's version. But to answer your question: yes, I would be more excited to read the next Horus Heresy novel than something by Ted Chiang.

Seven Crowns likes this.
  18. Rad Scribbler

Rad Scribbler Faber est suae quisque fortunae Contributor

IET Code of Practice for In-Service Inspection and Testing of Electrical Equipment ... sad I know :D

19. Seven Crowns

I understand. Dan Abnett's my go-to guy for W40K. Genius.

Night Herald and Bone2pick like this.
  20. Night Herald

I'm re-re-re-re-rereading (listening to) Terry Pratchett's Hogfather, which seems to have become an entirely unplanned Christmas tradition of mine.

I don't know exactly why, but I think this is my favorite Discworld book out of all of them. To me, this represents Pratchett at this finest. Everything is just so well put together, the characters are brilliant, and every paragraph is just a riot of laughs. The writing is on point. Maybe it's that I've read it so many times that I basically know it by heart, but I find it an immensely cosy, comforting, and hilarious volume. Nigel Planer's stellar reading doesn't hurt one bit. That's what I love about Discworld: no matter how many times you read them, the books always have something more to offer, some nuance that you missed last time. And even if it doesn't, you can always just revel in the prose and the craftsmanship.

After this, I'm definitely finishing Fall of Babel. Then it's Jade Legacy. And then the Gods of Blood and Powder trilogy. And then? I sorely need some Science Fiction in my diet, man. I don't know what yet, but it must be excellent. Open to recommendations.

Bone2pick and Seven Crowns like this.
  21. dbesim

dbesim Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor

I haven’t read this one. But that’s not to say I’m not familiar with some of the other stuff this author has written. I read Never Let Me Go and that one was about a class of young school children (clones, I think) who are being raised for the purpose of donating their organs to sick children. The clones aren’t considered to be human. Are they or are they not? That’s the question the author asks of you as you read through the POV of the clone child. He raises a few questions. However, I thought the concept was too bizarre for my taste and preferred his other book - The Remains of The Day - because it was very poetic and talked about beautiful sunsets AKA the title. Now, if you’re exclusively a fan of “show don’t tell”, I’m not sure you’ll grasp the style of this author’s writing. Me, I liked it because it read like poetry. The plot of the story was predictable in every way.. but THAT’S what I liked about the book. It was like listening to a relaxing classical tune you’ve heard before, when you know what’s coming next, and derive sheer comfort from the music when it does. Also, I don’t mind books that are less “show-y” and more “tell-y”, I got plenty of those on my reading list (!) and I guess it all comes down to taste. The author is British (Japanese) - I think - so it’s natural that you’ll get different styles of writing across cultures (and centuries). Encyclopaedias are also very tell-y tell-y, and if you like fiction that is tell-y, you’ll probably enjoy this author’s style a lot more. Yes, it’s a question of taste and personal preference.

Seven Crowns likes this.
  22. Seven Crowns

I took a peak at Remains of the Day, and it did look decent. It's funny, until recently, I thought that story was written by some old 19th century guy. Just because of its subject, you understand. Someone like Thackeray. i was surprised to see it was so new. Of course, all I knew about it was Anthony Hopkins was on the VHS cover looking fly.

23. Bone2pick

I was having quite a bad string of reading (an underwhelming Witcher novel and four DNFs prior to that) before I picked up Peter McLean's Priest of Bones, and thankfully the book found its mark with me. Nearly a perfect bullseye, actually. When compared against similar series — series that I would also enthusiastically recommend — such as Mark Lawrence's The Broken Empire and Scott Lynch's Gentleman Bastards, I slightly favor Priest of Bones.

McLean's story is more grounded than either of those. More in the gutter. With less fantastical, yet no less compelling, protagonists and antagonists. And that really worked for me. In my opinion, Priest of Bones is a great example of the range of the genre.

Rating: 4.5 stars

Night Herald and Seven Crowns like this.
  24. Night Herald

Ah, I've had that one on my radar for a little while! Any comparison with The Broken Empire and Gentleman Bastards is a ringing endorsement, to my ears. I guess I'll spend my next Audible credit on that and push it up the queue a ways.

Bone2pick likes this.
  25. Robert Musil

Robert Musil Comparativist Contributor

Sword of Shannara. Y'all...I'm not getting it. This book is...not very good.

I mean in addition to (IMO) being tediously derivative of LOTR, it's just not well-written. Take the following line, just the first that comes to mind out of many. Describing two characters' relationship, the author writes that it was:

"a friendship that was improbable because their characters and their values were complete opposites."

After spending however many pages showing us exactly this, we have to be told one more time in case we didn't get it. That's not telling a story, it's talking about a story. It belongs in a back cover blurb, or a review, or just talking with somebody about the book (perhaps in a snarky forum post). It shouldn't be in the book.

The whole thing is like this. You're given one very obvious way to interpret everything that happens, but then the author goes even farther and just says straight out, "Yes, in fact that was what I meant, in case you still had any wonder or curiosity left in you."

To be fair, it has its moments. There is precisely one adequately exciting fight scene. There's precisely one interesting character, but he may be interesting simply because he's the only character who isn't a re-skinned Gandalf or Faramir or Gollum. There's precisely one interesting exchange of dialogue where the characters aren't saying exactly what they're supposed to (although even this has to be over-explained just as soon as it's done). The rest of it reads like the first draft of some better novel.

It plods. It's not original. It doesn't have much to say. Maybe the other books in the series make it look better in hindsight, idk. But I really don't get the appeal of something like this.