What are you terrible at?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Patra Felino, Feb 21, 2014.

1. Wowzie

Wowzie Member

Conversing.

This forum is like a journey; someday I hope to have collected enough non-workshop posts to make a workshop post, so I can talk about my writing.

2. Thomas Kitchen

Thomas Kitchen Proofreader in the Making Contributor

@Wowzie From the look of it, all you have to do now is write two critiques of other people's work, because you have twenty posts and have been here for more than two weeks. You're almost there! :)

3. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Yeah, Thomas is correct. Get your two critiques done and you're in like Flynn. ;)

4. Wowzie

Wowzie Member

It's twenty posts outside of critiques. I think ~75% of my posts are critiques.

5. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

Life, math, relationships, small talk, dancing, music, making money, climbing, piloting re-entry vehicles, surfing, writing, monkey business, having fun.

6. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

Piloting re-entry vehicles? Ha! How can you be bad at piloting re-entry vehicles? Babies pop out of the womb piloting re-entry vehicles!

... wait. That didn't come out right, did it? :p

7. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

Well, that can be taken an interesting way, but I'm bad at that, too! :)

8. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

No, this isn't correct. I don't know where this quote came from, but if it came from me at some point, my apologies for such poor wording. I already looked through your posts. You 100% A-OK to post in the Workshop. ;)

minstrel likes this.
  9. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

Personal economy: If I put my mind into it, I can manage, which is why I'm not in bankrupcy right now, but I truly suck at anything money related.

Maths: Any maths. Standard level. Higher level. Algebra. Geometry. You name it. I'm such an arts student cliché in this respect.

Singing: For some unfathomable reason people say I sing pretty ok, but I know I don't, I'm not hitting the notes, I've no idea what I'm doing. However, for some reason the horse I groom, a very pissy mare I might add, likes singing and humming, so I'll continue torturing people at the stables...

Team sports: I'm not a team player. Either I screw up and make an own goal or I pulverize and bruise everyone around me. I also get confused easily if people are yelling at me from all directions and I should make a split-second decision.

Also this:

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  10. minstrel

Don't feel bad about that one! It happens to me, too, and I bet it happens to everybody. They even knew this in the American space program: when Mission Control was first being designed, they realized they couldn't have dozens of people talking to the astronauts at once, especially in a critical situation. So they made it so that only one person ("Capcom", who was always another astronaut) would be the one talking to the astronauts, filtering out the hubbub and making things make sense.

So, yeah. Don't worry about it. :)

KaTrian likes this.
  11. Passero

Passero Member

Administration: I'm so bad at keeping my administration... It often takes me a month to file my expenses after a business trip... They are usually not cheap so I always and up paying around 2 to 3k pound up front before the company pays me back because I'm always so late. My wife hates it :)
    In my previous job I always had to fill in my timesheet at the end of the week. I seldom submitted them in time...

Changing my baby's nappy: I'm not actually bad at it... It's just the smell I hate. My wife can handle it much better so every time he smells, I hand him over to my wife :D

Writing: I'm just starting out as a writer. I'm sure the stuff I currently write is bad, but I'm working on it. Writing as much as possible, reading tips, books, and so on. One day I will compose a short story that moves people.

12. KatieValino

KatieValino Member

Drawing: 0/10 I honestly could do better as a child then I can now. I'm not sure how I became so bad since I I sext k do great at school, I guess my skills never evolved past that of childhood.

Taking Hints: I'm the most oblivious person in the world. Too wrapped up in the fantasies in my head so if someone hints at something in my presence, it will fly so far over my head it will be skimming the edge of space.

Being human: I forget how to human a lot mostly with emotions and basic movements aka walking. I am clumsy to a dangerous extent and my emotions confuse me a lot and so I find myself acting how I should rather than just....being.

13. AJC

AJC Active Member

Same for me. I was never the athletic type, so anything involving running or jumping is hard for me. I do enjoy a good hike, however. :)

14. Garball

Garball Banned Contributor

Playing video games = meh/10: I have never beat a video game; not Contra, not Mario, I don't even know what Mother Brain looks like, and I only saw Mike Tyson using the code (I even had a hard time getting the code right).
    The closest I have come to winning was Nintendo's Top Gun (I died at the space station) and the arcade Tron (it only starts over at a harder level).
    Sleeping = Potato/Scuba Tank: Don't like sleeping; never have, never will. Just give me my 4-5 hours and a day of no sleep every now and then.
    Rating things on a scale of 1-10 = guinea pig/Branch Davidian Cult: I prefer sliding scales. I prefer slides. I would rather have a swing, but not as much as a trampoline. Nothing trumps a zip-line over water.

15. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

Telling my left from right - seriously I still check my hands. Then I get confused that people's lefts are my right's. My brother thinks it's hilarious. I think I over think it.

Dancing. Cobras have more rhythm than me.

Retaining information longterm. I've read a lot of books on a lot of subjects but then when I go back to use that information my brain is like - file not found. I have to continually keep on a subject and keep in in my brain or it gets sent to recycling or something. I seriously think there is some guy up there with a duster in hand, allowing only enough information to keep things looking tidy.

16. Red Herring

Red Herring Member

Memorizing; I can remember certain things, if it's mechanical or logical, but other than that I am terrible. I'm terrible at games like trivia. I also tend to forget b-days and anniversaries. Terrible at dancing and singing; I can play drums, play the piano, and can sense when things are out of tune, but I cannot for the life of me manage to dance or sing well.

17. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

You can land on the carrier in Top Gun? :eek:

I forgot about this. I have the same problem. I don't understand why my brain still hasn't internalized left and right, gah!

peachalulu likes this.
  18. Okon

Okon Contributor Contributor

Ditto what someone else said about taking hints from girls, here's a conversation I had a year ago:

Her: "You never say anything nice about me."
    Me: "Oh, well I like your shirt."
    Her: "No, about ME."
    Me: "Your glasses are nice?"

I face-palmed an hour later.

Also, I suck at oragami. Or any kind of paper folding, really.

19. stormcat

stormcat Active Member

I'm also terrible at origami... and sewing... and talking to people.

20. minstrel

You know what I'm terrible at? Magic tricks. I can't tell you the number of times I've tried to make an elephant disappear, and he's STILL HERE, dammit! :mad:

...o_O
    (Okay, don't take me seriously on this one.)

21. sunsplash

sunsplash Bona fide beach bum

Between the Magic City & the Conch Republic
    Math & Science. Formulas do not make sense to me in the simplest forms. I'm no better with computers. I'm currently in the market for a new laptop and have spent DAYS trying to make sense of RAM vs. hard drive, this processor vs. that, etc. I feel like I'm trying to decipher Tolkien's Elvish with a Klingon dictionary.

Driving & directions. If it weren't for GPS I'd be more of a hermit than I already am, and even with it, I still get lost!

Phone calls. I have serious anxiety about talking to strangers on the phone. In person I'm fine but my pits get wet just thinking about having to call someone I don't know to schedule an appointment, request a repair, or Hades forbid have to deal with some sort of service problem and go through supervisors to get whatever resolved.

22. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

Relationships (3/10)
    Wiping my rear end (4/10)
    Taking things seriously (1/10)