What are you tired of seeing in Sci-Fi movies?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction' started by Uberwatch, Feb 1, 2015.

1. Chinspinner

Chinspinner Contributor Contributor

It is one cut starring one lead actor. Tony Jaa. Emphatically no CGI.

2. Masterspeler

Masterspeler Active Member

Well, that is cool and admirable. It reminded me of Jack Chan, although I never was one for those because of unrealism. Not because it can't be done, but in how scares such abilities are. If you could do that, would you be a cop in Hong-Kong?

Yes, he could be one. I do know of some brilliant people that were constantly asked, why are you a cop, but still, sometimes we don't believe film or fiction until he find out about the history behind it. Good examples of this are things that individuals did during WW2, Lauri Torni fought in the Swedish army, then for the SS then in the US Army, all to keep fighting the Russians after fighting Bolshevic raids into Sweden, Simo Hayha killed 505 (at least, some reports say it was over 700) one of which was a Russian sniper he killed after the Russian shot him in the face. He shot an old rifle, no scope, because the glare gave his position away, and he kept snow in his mouth, despite nearly getting frostbite of the tongue, because that way his breath didnt steam in the cold air.

So if somebody that didn't know those stories from history, they would find both those tales to be fantastical and unbelievable if they read a novel, or a saw a movie about them.

3. Samuel Lighton

Samuel Lighton Senior Member

Easily, sound in outer space. Both in movies and video games.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  4. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

I'm so tired of seeing aliens as the enemy to the human race. For once I want to see a sci-fi movie where the aliens are the good guys...something kind of like Avatar, but where the aliens are more alien like. And maybe in the end the aliens and humans work together to save the universe. The only movie I can think of kind of like that, is when the Predator and humans work together to kill the aliens, but the Predator is still the enemy.

cutecat22, Oscar Leigh and Cave Troll like this.
  5. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    I agree, but I don't think anybody would turn my novel into a movie. Or let alone read it for the consideration for a crappy film adaptation. :superlaugh:

6. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

Hey, straight to DVD, is still a movie! Be proud, be loud! :cheerleader:

cutecat22, Cave Troll and Oscar Leigh like this.
  7. Oscar Leigh

Oscar Leigh Contributor Contributor

I'm a little pissy with the negative statements about technology. Like seriously, these people made a movie. You know technology is usually a good thing. It's only when it's abused. So stop making it look bad.

halisme likes this.
  8. Cave Troll

Yeah, but those are always the worst kind of movies. :D

9. Sack-a-Doo!

Sack-a-Doo! Contributor Contributor

Not necessarily. They're just the movies that some executive thinks won't move the stock price. ;)

10. Miller0700

Miller0700 Contributor Contributor

Too much suspension of disbelief, especially in space. Air in space, ships with wings turning like you would on earth, ships with gravity with no explanation on how its produced, etc.

Alcove Audio likes this.
  11. Mumble Bee

Mumble Bee Keep writing. Contributor

Nerdy guy gets the obscenely hot, and just humanoid enough, alien girl.

"Heh, everyone said no girl on earth would ever have me, i'll show them..."

12. Sack-a-Doo!

Yeah, like every Jeff Goldblum movie ever made. Never understood how the king of the nerds got to be a dashing leading man. :)

13. Samuel Lighton

Mmmm not necessarily! They're so bad, that sometimes they whizz around to the other end of the scale to good, if not awesome.

Cave Troll likes this.
  14. Samuel Lighton

That is a lot more entertaining than most, I agree.

Although, my main giggles came from your wording. It made it seem like a martial artist was attacking a mall of regular people, making them the villain.

15. Samuel Lighton

Neither is inherently better than the other though. Some stories are best told with CGI and all the rest. I know that my story if ever made into media would need a metric tonne of CGI for the majority of it.

I like both to be honest. I mean, bruce lee, jackie chan, even some of the cornier chuck norris films - they were all good and entertaining. But by the same measure, films like the Avengers and some of the new Marvel films are exceptionally good too. There are still a good measure of films that use cosmetics and natural physical abilities in production today. Sometimes I watch a film to see the impossible, the vision of things that couldn't be made or would be too unrealistically large or expensive to make for a film. I can even appreciate some films where the CGI is there for stylistic reasons.

I mean, lets be honest. There's good and bad films and media made with both, so neither can be claimed as being better.

Last edited: May 28, 2016
  16. newjerseyrunner

newjerseyrunner Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2022

Humanoid space aliens within a thousand years of us in terms of technology. There is no reason that intelligent beings would evolve to look like us, and considering that life started to be possible chemically about 7 billion years ago, I get annoyed that most lifeforms in scifi have about the same level of technology as humans.

17. ManOrAstroMan

ManOrAstroMan Magical Space Detective Contributor

@newjerseyrunner that can be justified, though, in-story, depending on the situation. For instance, the planet may be older than Earth, particular resources might be more abundant, society fostered the advancement of technology and science, plus dumb luck.
    As for the humanoid aliens, well, the form is pretty efficient for a land-dwelling tool-user. It's kind of why we look this way.
    Edit: sorry, misread your post. I thought you were saying the aliens SHOULDN'T have advanced technology.

18. Sack-a-Doo!

And when you stop and think about it, there's no reason why humans couldn't have had our current level of technology some hundreds of thousands of years ago, maybe not in the same form, but the same level. We're no smarter now, no more enlightened. In fact, religion may have been less of a deterant to gaining knowledge, so there's no reason why humans of 200,000 years ago couldn't have been even more advanced than we are.

Cave Troll likes this.
  19. newjerseyrunner

newjerseyrunner Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2022

I don't understand your point. 200,000 years is nothing. The universe started being capable of supporting life 7 billion years ago. The odds of a species even being with 100,000 years of us in either direction is miniscule. The majority of alien species will be millions or even billions of years ahead of us, not thousands.

20. zoupskim

zoupskim Contributor Contributor

I'm tired of seeing guns.

Specifically, any sort of handheld projectile weapon, no matter how futuristic. Even though I love it, I am going to use Mass Effect as a negative example, because they almost did something really neat by introducing Omnitools and Biotics. Here are two inventions that could revolutionize warfare, and indeed the universe, yet Shepherd is still running around murdering people with a fully automatic, faster-than-light, metallic-dust particle launcher. What are the friendly fire ramifications of such a weapon? Never mind possibly leveling a whole town with dangerous errant rounds, won't the dust and energy percolate in the air and destroy the environment?

More importantly, why kill the enemy when one infiltrated soldier, or maybe a team, can turn on all the facets in the enemy base, causing them to constantly have to ship in more water, or simply waste man-hours dealing with it? I don't think they give a reason as to why there are not ship-sized omnitools. Why attack a planet when you could slow the orbit of their moon, thereby placing an embargo on their very environment? With Biotics you can literally freeze people. Just STOP them, take their guns, and wait until medics, negotiators, or just big people-boxes to contain the violence can be brought in. Why not put up a big, complicated series of earthen mazes and breastworks around all enemy ground forces, or place dangerous weather in the sky to keep them pinned and isolated, causing them to become frustrated or just contain them?

I kind accept interstellar war or ship to ship engagements in sci-fi, because of how far away things can get in space, but I still feel like I could just set up a huge energy soak or metal block, absorb any enemy fire, and just talk it out with the people/aliens. Do you like gold? Here, we made you a giant Shield of Gold, because we can make anything! To bad you were shooting it, though. Makes you reconsider the error of you ways, huh? Want some pears? Here, we genetically engineered you a trillion special Orgasm Pears, one for every member of your race. In case you were wondering, eating them causes a euphoric and life changing orgasm. They'll be arriving in the giant vat of water behind the shield.

Hell, if you don't like peace, they even touch on alternate forms of warfare with the Genophage.

I miss Star Trek Next Generation. Remember when they discovered that some of the Federation Admirals were taken over by those little bugs, and Picard and Riker have to shoot one? Remember how sad they were? They feel bad killing it, because it is a sentient being.

21. Cave Troll

Well lets listen to what the Physics People have to say:

22. DeadMoon

DeadMoon The light side of the dark side Contributor

I an tired of seeing Sci Fi movies set in outer space.

23. Dark Severance

Dark Severance Member

That assumes that alien species didn't develop at a same rate that humans did. Just because the universe is that old doesn't necessarily mean that other races would be older. They could have developed to a much higher level then wiped out each other due to war or some other plague. They could have grown and evolved at the same time that humans did. I mean Dinosaurs were before man yet they didn't evolve they were wiped out by a natural disaster. The odds aren't as miniscule as you think. There really isn't enough information available to accurately make that assumption either way honestly.

24. AustinFrom1995

AustinFrom1995 Active Member

Some things I am tired of seeing in Sci-Fi movies:

-Humans are a super-duper special species.
    -Near-Human alien girls. Doubly so if the males look completely alien.
    -Cutsy alien or robot sidekick.
    -Sounds in space. Remember, in space no one can hear you scream. ;)
    -Evil Hive Minds or Galacitic Empires

To name a few.

25. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

I'm getting sick of CGI. Now that they can make anything happen on screen at any time with no restraints whatsoever (besides budget) I feel like Hollywood has forgotten how to tell a story. There was a time when filmmakers had to build shit and limit the scope of their special effects, like in the earlier Alien and Star Wars films. In between explosions they needed to craft real scenes. The story and actors had to be good because they couldn't just slap them in front of a green screen and edit in some fluffy scenery to hold our attention. They actually needed to fill their run-time with meaningful dialogue and exposition. Now? Throw in another explosion. Throw in another fight scene. Throw in another chase. Throw another majestic landscape. How many minutes are we up to? Shit, more explosions.

CGI killed suspension of disbelief. Nothing wows me on screen anymore. Alien Covenant was good, but no CGI xenomorph can ever top the real prop blasting out of John Hurt's chest. When you saw those older movies you thought, "Wow! How the fuck did they film that?" Now, it's like, "Yawn, another gross out xenomorph."