1. loverofcreations

loverofcreations Member

Short Story What aspects in this short story indicate that it is fiction?

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by loverofcreations, Oct 13, 2017.

The OP seems adamant that it's all real, and adds to his story in the comments. But does it seem like a being in character thing? (I sent him a PM saying ''nice creepypasta, are you going to write more?'') and he replied that it isn't a creepypasta and it's true. That it's haunted him for years and he is scared of the monster coming to kill him too. He seems pretty adamant that it is true, I am wondering what the reason could be for this. The sub he posted in has rules against non fiction stories.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
  2. izzybot

izzybot (unspecified) Contributor

I mean, it's not surprising the writer denied it being fake. I think part of the fun of these types of things is in not breaking kayfabe. It's like an in-joke - you definitely see it on r/nosleep, where they have the rule "everything is true here, even if it's not". Everyone plays along, because that's the point.

I'd assume that r/thetruthishere either takes the play more seriously, or the people there do genuinely believe they've experienced supernatural happenings - most likely, it's a combination of the two. Whether this particular writer is one of the latter or is just dedicated enough tot he act to keep it up in private, who knows.

But yeah. Why? It's fun, I guess.

3. loverofcreations

loverofcreations Member

Well travelling in time, monsters and exploding deer are obviously fake. He says it has haunted him for years.

4. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

To you - the other possibility is that he's mentally ill

5. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

The poster says s/he has "crippling anxiety". Anxiety can make people see/hear things that aren't real, etc.

That doesn't mean it's fiction, it means the poster is presenting things from his/her perspective, and from that perspective this is real stuff.

6. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Contributor Contributor

7. loverofcreations

loverofcreations Member

But can it make you see red glowing eyes? What about the fact that when he was close to it, all natural sounds vanished (such as the water flowing in the creek, and his own screams?) He heard the monster's footsteps, and managed to find a streetlight and clinged to it. The monster didn't come. He thought he would die.

The waking up at 5 AM to wait for a ride for 3 hours, coming back in to find it's just turned 5 AM?
    The neighbor dying of black mould poisoning, when none was found in his home? He was 60 and never left his house.
    The deer he found that had burned from the inside?

8. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

too much crystal meth

9. izzybot

izzybot (unspecified) Contributor

If your problem is with the validity of the story, then assume it's fiction and move on. I honestly don't know what the issue is.

10. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

I think anxiety can turn to panic, and panic can definitely make people see things that aren't real.