1. imagine

imagine New Member

What do i do now!!

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by imagine, Nov 24, 2009.

i've never written until a few months back. and now ive completed my screenplay admittingly it could do with a polish. but i felt it was ready to get out there so i started to send out querys. an agency as approached me and would like me send them my full script. [i am presently unsolicited].
    can i be represented by more than one agency?
    is it safe to send a full script?
    can some agencys do more harm then good?
    it is all new to me so pls advise me on what i do now

2. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Google the agency, to make sure that they are a reputable agency, before you do anything.

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

definitely!

the fact is, real/legit agents don't have time to troll for clients... so any 'agent' who approaches you is probably not a real, or a legit one...

not for the same piece of work... or even the same kind of work, usually... but you could have different agents for say screenplays and novels... or for historical novels and sci-fi ones...

with legit agents, yes... with the scammers, NO!... you should have registered your script with wga before even querying and your work is automatically copyright protected, so with respectable agents/producers, there's no reason for concern...

yes, if they're not on the up and up... otherwise, though the better ones can do more good than less competent ones, the latter can't really do any serious harm, other than delaying your making a sale, if they lack the connections it takes to do a good job for their clients...

but as a new, unknown writer with a first script, you're not likely to snag one of the top agents/agencies, unless your script is a real gem, so you should also query smaller/newer ones, to maximize your chances of getting repped...

the main problem i see for you is that you haven't polished your script yet, so should not start querying until it's ready to be submitted... suppose you get a 'please send the script' reply from a good agency and you have to write back, 'ok, but i have to polish it up, first'... what do you think that agent's reaction will be?

or, worse yet, suppose you're asked to send it in and you send it as is, with typos, goofs and glitches galore, since you didn't bother to polish it to a faretheewell first?... do you really think that will impress anyone in re your screenwriting potential?

4. imagine

imagine New Member

thanks for advice very useful, but if im to be total honest i've polished it the best i know how. i don't really understand grammer etc. out of work because of recession and dont have any money to pay for help. in fact the only thing i think im good at is telling a story, shameful i know.

i guess the reason i try to query script is to and get feedback to find out if its worth investing what little money i have in myself as a writer

i would ask for you help mammamia but the screenplay contains violence ive put the 1st page on scripts re Dark Knights, i would really appriciate your critique

also i found website tells you what agents to beware of www.sfwa.org

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

you should also check them out at:
    http://www.invirtuo.cc/prededitors/http://www.invirtuo.cc/prededitors/

if you send me your first 9 pages, i can at least give you some feedback on the writing quality and format, though i can't help you with the script in toto, due to the violent content... but you'll have to send it to me as an attachment, since formatting doesn't all work when posting scripts and i need to see it in the same way you'll be sending it to agents...

if you don't have it in final draft, be sure to convert the document to rtf before sending, so i can open it and formatting will be preserved...

love and hugs, maia
    maia3maia@hotmail.com