1. CDRW

CDRW Contributor Contributor

What do you do after finishing a good book?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by CDRW, Aug 24, 2008.

Me, I get mopey and restless, because I want to keep on reading, but there's nothing left. I just finished a cool story, and now I can't figure out what else to do. That is why I am sitting in front of the computer eating about six cups of macaroni and cheese. It sucks, because I want to read something, but I don't have anything good around. :mad:

2. lessa

lessa New Member

don't know what type of books you read but this site has lots of really good ones. Sci fi and fantasy but they are free which is always a good selling point.

http://www.baen.com/library/defaultTitles.htm

3. ZionsRodeVos

ZionsRodeVos New Member

I generally only read books at night and so usually just turn out the lights and go to sleep once I finish.

Then the next day I either go buy another one or read one of my favorites that I have not read for a while.

I just finished one last night and am planning to start reading a book while specifically watching how the author shows what is happening and shows their world without doing an info dump.

4. AnonymousWriter

AnonymousWriter New Member

Finishing a good book usually inspires me to write one.

5. Last1Left

Last1Left Active Member

I either feel angry (if it was bad), excited (if it ends on a cliffhanger), or satisfied (if I liked the conclusion). Then, I store the book away in my bookcase. If it's a bad book though, it goes to my neglected bookcase of bad books.

And I have to agree with AnonymousWriter. Finishing a good book also inspires me to write one.

6. NaCl

NaCl Contributor Contributor

I just finished my first novel written by Louis L'Amour. If you don't know this writer, he is the all-time best selling author in American old-western novels. I must admit, I read the book reluctantly, as I didn't have much intrinsic interest in that old-west, cowboy theme. A friend who collects L'Amour's books shamed me into reading that novel. My buddy said I could not claim to dislike that genre if I had not even read one. So I did.

Wow! This book actually caught my interest. L'Amour's attention to detail and powerful descriptions (yet brief in length) made the story flow fast from beginning to end. The story, set in the old west is, in reality, the same old man vs man theme with convincing characters, vivid setting and fast action. It left me wanting try another of his stories. Can't believe I'm reading old-style westerns . . . and enjoying them! LOL

7. lessa

lessa New Member

I love louis books.
    one of my favourites is Lonesome Gods.
    the Haunted Messa is also another great one.
    I like his books because good fights evil and wins.
    the stories are great adventures.
    The Sackett books are easy reads.
    Jubal Sackett is such an adventure.
    hope you continue to enjoy his writing.

8. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i just start another one!

9. Lucy E.

Lucy E. Active Member

I'm with both AnonymousWriter and Maia on that one. :)

10. Daisy

Daisy New Member

I agree with AnonymousWriter also. Finishing a good book makes me want to write. Sometimes I don't even finish it right away even if it is really good. I'll stop in the middle and go write something.

Also, about Louis, I read somewhere that he said that he can and has written some of his novels in a single day. Who does that? Wow is about I can think to say.

11. ChimmyBear

ChimmyBear Writing for the love of it. Contributor

There is always a let down. I don't know why, but it just leaves me feeling low.
    The good thing is...the let down is almost always followed by an urge to create and write. :D

12. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Crack open the next one. I rarely buy only one book at a time.

13. Gladiatus

Gladiatus New Member

Go out and buy the next 6 :p

Thats what I did with Simon Scarrow's Eagle series :D

Sometimes I will read it all the way through again, but not right now, ill go straight on to my next one. I have about 6 on my pile!

14. Heather Louise

Heather Louise Contributor Contributor

I know the feeling, CDRW. I am currently re-reading the Harry Potter series again and I have spent the last two weeks with some interesting reading material, but I know as soon as I have finished the final book, I will be lounging around wanting something to read, and feeling a little crappy about my life as, well, Harrp Potters is much more interesting. :p

I usually read another series straight afterwards though, Stravanganza by Mary Hoffman, but I get the same feeling once I have finished them, so it's back to Harry Potter. Lmao.

15. CDRW

CDRW Contributor Contributor

The problem is that I don't really buy books. It's not that I can't afford them, I could get one or two a month. It's that I literally don't have any place to put them except on the floor, and I figure why buy them when I can get them free at the library? I've never been one for re-reading books, except for my absolute favorites. Of course it always sucks when you lose one of the library books.

Enjoy your Harry Potter Heather.

16. tehuti88

tehuti88 New Member

This is why I have a gazillion books I want to read lying around, so when I'm done with one, I'll just start another. :D

I'm building up an entire library on the subject I'm interested in. About a hundred books so far!

Granted, this works better when one reads primarily nonfiction. I would not be so good at building up a decent library of fictional works that I'd really enjoy. It's kind of weird, because I adore writing fantasy, but it's hard to find any I'd like to read. The subject I like to write fantasy about is the subject I buy all these nonfiction books about!

I don't know if that was grammatically correct but oh well.

17. Scarecrow28

Scarecrow28 New Member

Either write, look for another in the series, or just buy another ASAP.

18. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

I do this as well.

But I also sometimes grab another book.

19. Acglaphotis

Acglaphotis New Member

I find someone else who read it to discuss it. And then I read another one.

20. Still Life

Still Life Active Member

Depends on the book.

I remember reading Sylvia Plath's The Bell Jar in high school, and I stopped reading and writing for months. It was really terrible.

I also tend to re-read books (until the pages start falling off the binding, like recently with Joseph Heller's Something Happened) instead of picking up new titles. I guess I'm just comfortable with some authors, and end up exploring everything I can from them first.

21. inkslinger

inkslinger Active Member

I sit there with a goofy "wow" smile on my face, taking all of the goodness from the book in.

22. mistressoftheflies

mistressoftheflies New Member

I move on to the next book! :]

23. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

See I only have that problem when I read my loaf's stories, especially when I only get excerpts! hehe! I am still waiting for his novel, Samhane, to be released with WCP. Can't wait to read it actually. Otherwise I go up town and buy another book. Or buy another one of my myspace contacts pieces that they have had published. Always good to show support to up and coming authors I meet on there. Usually some fabulous reading as well.

But I only read at the end of the day so I can attempt to relax and go to sleep, or when my ex is around, so I can avoid him at all costs! hehehehehe!

24. Daniel I Russell

Daniel I Russell Active Member

Hun? The thread asks what do you do after reading a GOOD book!

25. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

and you have to let your readers decide if your stories are good or not. And they are, so shush!