1. Sepatar

Sepatar New Member

What do you do afterwards?

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by Sepatar, Sep 7, 2011.

Okay, so I just got into this writing stuff like a month ago and get a pretty cool buzz of it, but just one question: Where does it go? I mean, what do you do with it when you've written? Keep it in a drawer, burn it?

2. VM80

VM80 Contributor Contributor

Depends. Lots of stuff I keep, for myself, on paper or saved on the computer.

Some I look back over, revise, some I never look at again.

3. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Read it through, edit it, re-read it, re-edit it. Then, when it's ready, submit it to a publisher.

4. dizzyspell

dizzyspell Active Member

This, basically.

5. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

I just finished a draft. I have some plot aspects I'm changing around and adding, so most of my revision is beefing up the story. Other people's revisions consist of cutting down, and others consist of fixing grammar (and for some, all of the above). Revision varies for everyone.

After you revise, have other writers look at it, preferably ones who are more advanced writers than you. Ultimately, you decide what revision suggestions to keep and which ones to not implement. But once it's all said and done, either publish on Amazon or look for an agent (each has its own pros and cons). Most large, legit publishers will only look at your work if it has agent representation.

Stay the hell away from any agent or publisher who tries to solicit processing fees (or any money) from you. The legit ones will take a small slice of the commission.

6. Sepatar

Sepatar New Member

What style do you guys do? Novels or short stories? All in one go or over time? I write in short inspirational bursts

7. Youniquee

Youniquee (◡‿◡✿) Contributor

I don't know why but I have a thing for writing novels xD I can't write short stories at all.

8. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

I'm a short story writer. I haven't attempted a novel in quite a few years now.

9. dizzyspell

dizzyspell Active Member

I write both, though I prefer novels. In fact, much of the criticism I get of my short stories is that they'd work better as novels anyway, so there you have it. :)

10. Shadowstar

Shadowstar Member

Alot of my work is on my computer, the rest in folders throughout my desk.

Sometimes I go back to look at them for ideas or to edit. Some I never look at again.

11. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributor Contributor

I rewrite, rewrite again and again and again. then edit, edit, edit and print it out in a paper copy. Actually I just finished this last step tonight. I have the final version, 94 K, 379 pages edited and ready to let it be read by a couple of people, and after that I will decide if it's good enough to submit to a publisher. But I feel really satisfied because Now I think it really is as good as I can make it at this point. Let's see if it's good enough.

12. psychotick

psychotick Contributor Contributor

Hi,

I keep damned near everything. Then every so often I pull something out that I wrote years ago, and rework it. And sometimes, when its ready (I hope), I publish it. Many things I write though, I know will never be published. They are purely for me, and I like that.

Cheers.

13. NaughtyNick

NaughtyNick New Member

How long did it take you to get to this point?

14. Yoshiko

Yoshiko Contributor Contributor

Short stories I edit and submit for publishing. Novels I rarely edit as it seems like a daunting process and, to be honest, I'm happy with them as they are. They all could with being completely rewritten but I have no urge to edit or share them with anyone. However, the novel I finished over the summer has gained a lot of interest so I am planning to begin work on the second draft in spring.

15. Tesoro

well, I started writing the first draft in june last year and finished it a couple of months later, but I've put it aside for periods writing other stuff too, and since march this year I've been rewriting and editing non-stop. It feels like I've been working at it forever but when you look back it really isn't that long...

16. NaughtyNick

NaughtyNick New Member

Well, congratulations on getting this far. I started on New Years Day and I finished my first draft about 4 weeks ago (79K words). I am now going through it fromt the beginning, making revisions. I think it will be around 90K when I have finished as each revised scene seems to have lengthened.

I feel like you. It seems like I have been writing this forever. I long for the day when I can say that it is finished and that I am happy with it. In the meantime, I am continually beset with doubts. Mt story is boring, my characters not believable, my writing style is annoying....you know, the usual things. I will keep going though...I can't quit now. It's not like finishing a tin of beans.

17. Tesoro

You know what? I already miss it! yes, it feels great to have finished it, but I'm going to miss my characters so much. I came up with the idea to this story when I was a teen and now (lots of years later) it feels like I know them as well as if they would have been real people. Plus I'm sure I will always find things I wanna change about it, stuff you come up with afterwards etc, but right now I've done everything I can.

18. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

sorry, but this makes no sense... no one takes 'a small slice' of the 'commission'... a 'commission' IS 'a small slice' of the money a writer receives...

to answer your question, vm, if you're writing in order to be published, see what banzai wrote in his first post... if you're just writing for fun, do whatever you want with it...

love and hugs, maia