What Do You Fear?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by soujiroseta, Sep 3, 2008.

1. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I used to be scared of heights too. And bikes. But I'm getting over these fears. :)

2. Heather Louise

Heather Louise Contributor Contributor

I am absolutly pertified of needles. I had to have my tetnus the other week and it took a diasipam, the promise of £60 and fifty minutes of shaking and crying before I got it done.

I also an afraid of spiders, lightening 'cos it is really freaky and failures, but I would face all of those to avoid any more needles.

EDIT: I also found out the other day that I am terrified of people who I love dying. I know I am going to die and that doesn't bother me at all, it means I can at least chillax, but the thought of my nana dying 'cos she is old, or my Great grandparents who are always ill, I am terrified. I don't like people leaving, either by death or just leaving.

3. TwinPanther13

TwinPanther13 New Member

Ok this is weird i know. I don't fear heights what I fear is being up high. When I am on something really tall I have this urge to jump.

When i was a kid and my dad took me up on the Eiffel tower I almost did. He had to pull me off the side.

When I say this I am serious I was on my second story balcony one day and my friends as me to come down stairs to play. I was 11 I believe and i just jumped over the balcony. I did not break anything, luckily.

I also fear meeting someone like me but who chose the darkside if that makes sense. I have this, unproven, belief that for every person there is someone out there who is opposite of who you are any every way, and someone out there who would be the darkside, or lightside of who you are.

Basically they know what you know, and can do what you do physically and mentally. But there moral compass is exactly opposite of yours. I fear meeting that person cause I think I would not survive the encounter.

edit: Elevators also scared me a lot when I was younger. Not so much now

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Oddly enough, despite my fear of heights, I have absolutely no fear of flying. Commercial jets or a single engine Cessna Skyhawk, I'm completely at ease, if not euphoric. Mild to moderate turbulence doesn't bother me, nor do barrel rolls or loops (Maybe in a commercial jet - that might be a bit alarming). I suppose I'd be nervous in an open-cockpit plane, though.

5. Bick

Bick New Member

Omg! Me too Cog. I'm not horribly afraid of heights, but to an extent. But with flying, I'm okay! Which I always found odd. But, those small planes are terrifying! Have you been in one when it lands? It lands crooked!

I'm afraid of a lot of weird things, some are put on by my own father.
    • Heavy Footsteps from upstairs or even on the same floor put me in the fetal position.
    • Broken glass. I completely freeze around it.
    • Alone Darkness (if that makes sense..)
    • Flushing toilets (I run away… it’s a childhood thing. Not much of a fear now, but more of a habit)
    • Going down steps! I shake when it’s a lot to go down, or if there isn’t a banister >< I totally freak out sometimes. (We had to go down 167 steps in San Diego :( and I was a lot happier going back up them.)

6. Still Life

Still Life Active Member

I know the feeling. I hate when it happens on carpet. My brother accidentally shattered a light bulb on the carpet several weeks ago and I had to go down on it with tweezers :/

7. Shadow Dragon

Shadow Dragon Contributor Contributor

I'm guessing you mean being by yourself in the dark, in which case, same here. Also, I have a bad case of social phobia.

8. Scribbles

Scribbles New Member

A world without hope. I guess that's why zombie books and movies that show the world ending, the antagonist dying, strike a cord in me. That is the stuff of my nightmares.

9. AnonymousWriter

AnonymousWriter New Member

Failure.

10. CDRW

CDRW Contributor Contributor

This one time I was balancing a spinning bike wheel on my little finger in the living room. For some reason it slipped off my finger and decided to land on a cereal bowl I had on the coffee table. It flung glass splinters around the entire room, and it took hours to clean up because I had to move furniture and everything. I didn't get it all either. A couple months later I reached under the couch and a splinter punctured my hand.

11. Last1Left

Last1Left Active Member

Nothing in particular, but if there was something posing an immediate threat to me or my loved ones, then I'd fear that for sure.

12. Milady

Milady Active Member

Jellyfish. Oh, and eighteen-wheelers. Oh, and the sound of my own voice. Oh, and peanut m&ms.

13. kehl

kehl New Member

I have pretty severe Asenthphobia. It's the fear of fainting, more deeply the fear of weakness.

14. chad.sims2

chad.sims2 New Member

Oh, roller coasters! I love rideing them but they scare the bejesus out of me. :) LOL.

(Funny thing is i'm better with bullets and bombs blowing up around me than a rollercoaster ride. :) Ya i'm wierd)

15. tarnished

tarnished Contributor Contributor

Having to much attention payed to me. I like to stay with my group of friends (mainly because I'm not particulary fond of most of the other people in my grade), and generally the other people don't have very nice things to say.

16. leonorgonecrazy

leonorgonecrazy New Member

I'm really afraid of speaking out loud in front of the class/group/ team or whatever...it makes me sick, literally :(

17. penhobby

penhobby New Member

People ...as in crowds... or it can just be a few people. I'm not really sure what sets me off, but sometimes I have horrible panic attacks around strangers.

18. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Pen, I feel your pain. It does not happen too often, but I have felt that sense of panic that can only be described as, "Too many people around me!" and find myself looking for the quickest route out from the center of the crowdingness.

19. SonnehLee

SonnehLee Contributor Contributor

One of my biggest fears is other people reading my writing, surprisingly. I can't bear to be in the room if I know someone else is reading something I wrote, I can't focus, or breathe sometimes.

For a history project, my teacher (who will, coincidentally, be my english teacher senior year) asked me to write a story and talk about it in front of the class. I had to pass out copies to the entire class, and I about died when I looked around the room and everyone else was reading it. Even worse, when I had to read one.

20. Solaris

Solaris Active Member

Spiders, earwigs... creepy insects in general.
    Public speaking. Though I'm not sure if it is as severe as it used to be considering I'm a lot more outgoing than say, a couple of years ago.
    I used to be terrified of people in general - but I'm pretty confident now.

Um.
    OH. I do have this weird phobia of gross things in my mouth? I don't even like drinking after other people. You can rule me out for Fear Factor.

And I'm actually 'afraid' of hurting peoples feelings. I'll seriously have a panic attack if I think I have to do something that will embarrass another person.

21. Little Miss Edi

Little Miss Edi New Member

I have a really irrational fear of cockles/barnacles... how stupid is that, i can talk about them but if I see them OMG they make me feel so sick. I guess it's coz I associate them with cancer cells, they're kind of parasitic and they way they cling to things like tumours... yuck, all icky and black and clingy and covering- Eugh!!! Feeling sicky just thinking about it!

I'm also afraid of making the wrong decision... makes me stupidly indecisive.

You're book's gonna be terrifying at this rate! There's some downright freaky things out there!! :)

22. Speedy

Speedy Contributor Contributor

Nail Files

If my mother, girlfriend, friends start filing i just freak out. The sound gives me goosebumbs and some (and no not like running your nails down a chlakboard), I try to put up with it and after a while i just wanna be sick - i dont get it, nor do i wanna.

Got stuck on a train without a mp3 the other day and the women behind me started filing. I moved carriage lol.

23. _Ed

_Ed New Member

My biggest phobia is of social things. If I don't know someone well or they're around my age, I kind of freak out, so...agreed with penhobby and Wreybies. I'm trying to get over it, though no success so far. It's much different with friends though- then I'm all hyperactive.

Oh, and bugs, fads, and really bad music. And when I was seven, I hate a serious issue with the color magenta...I hated second grade, when we had these letter magnets that were mostly magenta...I actually felt sick during those times...

24. Frost

Frost Active Member

Paralysis and spiders are my main fears.

Im also pretty scared of fire.

I got blessed with the good luck of not being scared of traditional fears like public speaking, which comes in very handy.

But get me near a spider and i will seek the nearest exit faster than Usain bolt on a running track.

25. lessa

lessa New Member

my fears are losing my eyesight.
    losing friends.
    have done the last so many times it hurts
    to even think about it.

right now my eyesight is iffy and I am scared it
    will be gone in a few years.

my biggest fear is that something will happen to
    my children and their families.