What do you think extraterrestrials would look like?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Mallory, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Snoopingaround

Snoopingaround Banned

There is no flowing water on Mars. There are only giant polar ice caps at the northern and southern poles. They are made up of mainly frozen water and solid carbon dioxide. The pressure on Mars, or rather the lack of pressure, means that when it warms up, the solid water vaporizes directly into gas. I suppose one might be able to see some droplets here and there, maybe I guess even little pools for a brief period surrounding the giant caps area, but the vast majority of the ice will vaporize, therefore no rivers or anything like that. If the atmosphere of Mars had the same pressure of Earth, then presumably flowing bodies of water are possible. As it is though, Mars actually averages less than 1% the atmospheric pressure of Earth, so it all sublimates from solid to gas directly.

2. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

I just found the article about it, and it appears there IS circumstantial evidence of seasonal flows of salty water...

Not allowed to post links, but if you Google "flowing water on Mars," the CNET one that pops up first is the one I'm reading now...

3. Jayyy1014

Jayyy1014 Jerrica Contributor

You go to go advanced and then to manage attachments! :) I could imagine them being able to go invisible though.. I think they're probably more.. Advanced than us.. But, I'll probably end up doing that sometime as well..
    @Art, I'd really love to know where you heard that at.. Cause I've yet to hear about it and I've even tuned into the news, and something like that would be crowding the media, even more so than The Casey Anthony trials would be.. (Please lets not get into the news of Her. It was just an example..)

4. Jayyy1014

I just googled it the same time as you. Yes there is evidence, But only in the spring and summer seasons.. By late summer its gone..

5. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

Well the article I found was only released 46 mins ago so it's really recent.

Yes but they have seasons with flowing water sometimes. :p

6. Jayyy1014

Same here, and the water is located near the equator making it very reasonable

7. Mercurial

Mercurial Contributor Contributor

I hadn't heard about flowing water, but there has been evidence of rivers on Mars for a while now.

I don't know if alien life is something we would even consider alive. We all got our start from large biomolecules that we don't consider to be living.. perhaps alien life has been based off of different elements or even elements we have not even encountered. Would we consider that living?

I don't know if we'd recognize alien life if we saw it. Maybe we'd recognize some sort of importance...

Anyway, I don't believe in little green men. Are we the only life forms? Nah. Over billions of years and massive space, we aren't alone. But circumstances and timelines are different... I cant imagine aliens we would recognize as aliens evolved along the same time life on earth did, around the time humans did.