1. fantasy girl

fantasy girl New Member

what do you think?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by fantasy girl, May 5, 2009.

hi, it's me again
    last night i had this idea, what if the world is just a game, what if we are just little figures on a board game. or were just an experement. like... in that egg card advert where the guinipigs are like humans and are permenently being watched.

this is my idea and if you think it can make a good plot line then i will put it in my bank of story plots and i will hopefully use it in the near future...

tell me what you think

2. arron89

arron89 Banned

I don't mean to burst your bubble but that idea isn't even remotely new or original. But I'm gonna go ahead and preempt Cog and tell you that it doesn't matter how good or bad the idea is, its about how well you write it. The concept itself isn't new, but if you can do something original and interesting with it, then by all means, do so. But yeah, I guess you're pretty young? Haven't read any philosophy or some of the classics that deal with these kinds of ideas (not to mention Christian mythology...), so I'd be careful progressing with that one til you're at least familiar with some of the Western philosophy that deals with that very subject. Wouldn't wanna go treading on anyone's toes...

3. wheeler2009

wheeler2009 New Member

Im a big film lover so im going to reference a film here soon, I read your little idea and it's something that raises the question of 'What If?' - It's not something that i think personally is real but who's to say what's what, It's going to be fiction afterall and that's a world theres still lot's more to discover, endless really.

Have you seen the Film, Men in Black (Will Smith). At the end of either the first film or the sequal the camera Zoomed way out to firstly reveal our galaxy then even further still to see it contained in a marble with aliens playing with it amongst hundreds of other marbles / universes... I bit far fetched but when i saw this it got my mind ticking after the inital laughter but.. Hmmm, What if?.

I think if your going to go for this as a plot, I'd personally suggest going in the direction of there been similar dimentions to our own, Another earth somwhere / same time / year etc, But with the Differences. These two worlds (Or more if you like) do not know they exist amongst eachother, but then to put a spin to it, One of the worlds becomes that advanced, they do.

It will be interesting to take the reader into each of the worlds to feel how different each world is and what would happen if they did actually meet, I mean what happened if there was another Earth out there..

Further to your idea of "If life is a game" concept, there could be a God of these worlds who has created each one off with similar circumstances and simply wants to see personally who will suceed..

Sorry if this isnt the direction you wanted to go into and apologies again if iv'e gone on a bit, but i thought it would give you some ideas,

Cheers

4. fantasy girl

fantasy girl New Member

arron, i know it's not an origonal idea because my mum told me about a film with a similar concept. i have no idea what thefilm is called and i have never watched it so i wont be coppying anything

and wheeler, thanks for the comment that was the idea i was goin for (sort of) like there is a higher being (not god) like humans but not if hat makes sence
    have you heared of the game sims? 'coz i was going to go for that approach, someone is playuing a computer game and we are the characters.
    i acctually came up with the idea after watching the red dwarf back to earth trilogy where they think we r the tv program thinking we are real and they are the real people.

i think im talking rubbish now so im just gonna go. lol
    again thanks for the replies. it has now been added to my plot bank.

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

A story concept means nothing. I can tell you now, it has been done before. What matters is how you write it, the characterization, the flow, the imagery, all of it.

There's no point to asking what other people think of the concept! They'll either say,"Sounds great," or, "it sounds like a ripoff of..."

If the idea stirs you, write it. Then ask people what they think of the final story. After they tell you what they don't like about it, revise it, usually several times, until you're happy with it or until you throw up your hands and say the hell with it.

Please read this thread about What is Plot Creation and Development?

(and yes, this is a template post, which should give you an idea of how often this comes up.)

If the idea appeals to YOU, go ahead and write it. You don't need permission or prior approval!

6. fantasy girl

fantasy girl New Member

thanks cog, that helped alot