What does human flesh taste like?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction' started by ArQane, Jun 6, 2016.

1. Dnaiel

Dnaiel Senior Member

Weeks? How much hair and nails to you guys have?

ETA
    Was this determined with a control group? Because I'm pretty sure a person can survive two weeks without food to begin with. A quick google shows three weeks as long as there is water.

2. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Contributor Contributor

It appears that you can survive without food for around 60 days, obviously dependent upon individual health, etc. Note that Laurence McKeown survived 70 days, and is now aged 60.

ETA: Also note that none of these guys was taking part in vigorous physical effort!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1981_Irish_hunger_strike

3. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

No @Dnaiel, I was being a dickhead.

As for sea survival, and inspiration, I always reach for Alain Bombard:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alain_Bombard

He postulated that a shipwrecked man w[c]ould survive for days and months at sea without supplies of food or water, and used himself as the guinea pig. Some doubt his claims.

Always remember - suck freshwater from the fish eye. Aye.

4. X Equestris

X Equestris Contributor Contributor

I don't see anyone saying we are; it's common knowledge that humans are omnivores. Before harnessing fire, our ancestors did eat meat raw. Our closest living relatives, chimpanzees, do so today.

That said, do you really think a carnivore species with the intelligence to use fire as a tool wouldn't end up cooking their food? Leaving taste aside, cooking meat makes it safer to eat by killing off parasites and the like.

5. SethLoki

SethLoki Retired Autodidact Contributor

Veruccas and hair, pah, lunch is for wimps! Indian Holyman (with deep tan) Sanal Edamaruku lives on sunshine alone. Solar powered man. Definitely true, I think he gets cash back as well for feeding his surplus energy into the grid.

6. yeon

yeon Member

That video is so disturbing. ;; I can't believe the cannibal is set free and allowed to publish his own books and comics. People asked him to sign their books. What the heck ?

7. S A Lee

S A Lee Contributor Contributor

This thread is funny and disturbing in equal measure. I'm too scared to watch the video though.

Given the pork comparison though, it does inspire a line for a non-human character who has no fondness for humans and no qualms eating one. She is going to be comparing humans to pigs a lot.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  8. Paul Kinsella

Paul Kinsella Member

The online show "Vsauce" talked about this subject. According to one writer, human flesh tasted like veal.

Oscar Leigh likes this.