What frightens you?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by MoonWriter67, Jan 1, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Dullener

Dullener New Member

I am alone...
    He looked at him, with a smirk, a evil smirk.
    But still I am alone,
    because I am looking at a man of myself, with a knife which ripped my stomach.

That's a nightmare I had. I don't know it sounds creepy or not, but it is the best nightmare I had. (and the worst).

Also, consider, though the above sentence is false, this one may be true.

I love paradoxes.

(sorry again, but it feel's I got a bit off topic...again... Soon I will get cops behind me.)

D.

2. Tashanel

Tashanel Member

Wow. So many people have spider phobia and height. For me:

1.Leech.
    2.Leeches.
    3.Swarm of leeches.
    4.Being alone.
    5.a vicious women.

And you know, it happen in my dream. Keep looping over and over, (every week, must be one or two dream about leech positively) and somehow i think i can draw a map perfectly where's the place i met leech frequently. And know i ended, too frightened to sleep and manage to re-write my dream in a journal. That was me :D

hope, these bless you :)

OOT:
    according to "some" dream-teller, leech represent vicious women. And you really hate being abandoned especially from women right? :D i would say, my frightened was connected each other :D

3. The Magnan

The Magnan Active Member

An unusual fear I have is of being helpless, in one of my nightmares, I had to stand and watch a woman burn to death in her car, and as if that wasn't bad enough, i was subjected to her terrifying screams, and pleas for help, a pain that nearly crippled me inside when i awoke. I was practically crying... I've had nightmares but this one hit home, even when I talk about it, I want to cry. Other than that, I have a slight fear of heights.

4. TheSilverBeetle

TheSilverBeetle Member

Well it depends what kind of horror you are trying to write. If it's just for the usual scare factor then spiders and clowns are good, but if it's for a much deeper, longer lasting scare look for something that even pains you to write about. Something you'd put in a drawer like Stephen King did with Pet Semetary. And also endings that only lead to more questions can be quite chilling.

5. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

This made me go and look up reviews. "Mirrors" is now on my Kindle. :)

I, too, have a fear of the malevolent unknown. I always have to sleep with a little bit of light on and I must sleep with my back to the wall. I have this irrational fear that if I'm facing the wall, and then turn around, something unpleasant will be hunkering over the other side of my bed, waiting. Haha.

There's also a very creepy TRUE story that I've always wondered about....

A few years ago, I was talking with one of my best friends about real scary experiences that have happened to us. At the time, she was living in this really rural area, and was driving down a quiet road through some woods and farmland to get home from community college. She heard chanting, so slowed down to look out the window and try to see what it was. There was a large cluster of people reciting these incantations, not words that she could distinguish, but more guttural sounds. Of course, my friend was creeped the hell out and drove home fast.

Here's the REALLY scary part: a couple days later, my friend was watching the local news, and a dead body had been found. The physical location of the body discovery was in the exact same place where my friend had heard the ritual. The body wasn't dead for a few days, which could indicate that the group of people killed him -- the body had actually been dead for at least several weeks.

We rationalized it by saying that chances are, the people were out there for some kind of weird religious ritual and found the body, and called 911 right away.

But...what if that wasn't the case? Then what?

6. Gonissa

Gonissa New Member

As a kid, I was afraid of the Yoshi's Island game over music, the game over screen for Donkey Kong Country 2, the black plague coming in the form of sock puppets, and Aztecs. I also had this really awesome nightmare where a skeleton in a Pharoah hat would try to drag me underground. No lie. Kid's fears are so much more interesting than adult ones. Now the only thing I really fear is being useless and unwanted. Boo. Not creative at all.

7. Metus

Metus New Member

Harming a family member while sleepwalking, discovering that large chunks of my life are hallucinations, talking to people (yep, I'm afraid of regular ol' ordinary people), my writing ability just suddenly vanishing for no reason, etc.

8. DaVinci

DaVinci Banned

Pain, violent death(Also related to pain), murder and deep black water.

9. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

Me too on this one. As it is, I actually love swimming and water and usually have no problems with it. I've gone scuba diving and I've been in a lifeguard training course where I had to drag a sack of bricks up from the bottom of 18-feet-deep water with a "drowning person" (the instructor) trying to drag me back down. People had panic attacks in that class, haha. But, even still, the idea of being alone in the middle of some lake that's pitch-black or murky brown, super deep, at night, is just SCARY. Aaaahhh.

I think, for me, it's fear of the unknown. There's always that question of what might be under the water. Or waiting on the shore.

10. TeeBee2011

TeeBee2011 New Member

Clown and Dr Who. I used to hide behind the sofa when I was a kid and these came on the TV!

11. marcuslam

marcuslam New Member

When I was a kid, I used to be really afraid of ghosts. Now I'm fearless and rule house. Nah, I'm actually scared of heights.