What frustrats you the most about writing?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by chandler245, May 29, 2009.

1. TragicJuliet

TragicJuliet New Member

Two things frustrate me one) When I have all these EXCITING (to me atleast) scenes I want to write, I can't wait to write, but..first i have to get them there, writing the beginning of the novel kills me cause I just want them to start with all the rest of the book! And the other, is when an entire day goes by and I realize my poor book is lying there unworked on because life and responsibility got in the way

2. Kas

Kas New Member

Hehe, I can relate to that. I tend to have a lot of trouble with beginnings. . . It's so much more fun (and easier) once the story is off and running.:)

3. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

I have a very imaginative brain. Ideas come to me quickly.
    Therefore it's very hard to stay on the novel I am writing.
    When other ideas poke in my head I need them to come out.
    Though lately I have been very focused on one particular novel.
    It's going good.
    My only frustration with it...I end up thinking about scenes in my head that I would never put in the book.

4. MelissaLynne

MelissaLynne New Member

I get fustrated when I come up with these awsome ideas for my story and don't know how to put into words. It's awful! In the middle of the day I'll be thinking about my story and then a light bulb goes off in my head, and I get so excited I can't wait to go home and write it! However, then when I finally get a moment to myself its gone! I get so bummed.

5. afinemess

afinemess Active Member

the most frustrating thing to me is trying to get someone to read it and tell me what they think. They all think it's going to suck and wont read it because they are afraid they'll hurt my feelings, when in reality, they have never read a word I have written excpet in email or myspace, which I am admitedly a horrible speller and dont edit my blurbs. (I also seem to "invent" words, such as admitedly. I doubt thats a real word. LOL) My writing is totally different. I just want them to tell me what they think, but they wont do it. Oh well, I'm self editing and making my husband read it. As long as he can tell me if the story is interesting and the plot realistic, then I can self edit for now. Rant over...

6. TwinPanther13

TwinPanther13 New Member

What frustrates me most is the submission Process. I have been sending out queries and getting back rejections, or in some cases sending out whole MSs as the situation calls for. I feel good about the rejections cause i feel like I am actually out there in the biz in a way.

What pisses me off though is that I do not have someone to edit for me and I find doing it myself hard. It is also frustrating because there are not that many writing groups in texas it seems and I wish there were more.

I need somewhere to get my work critiqued seriously

7. sidtvicious

sidtvicious Contributor Contributor

Inferno, office 752. Take a right turn at the wat
    If we're talking about the general process of writing, most of my issues come from the general annoyance of telling the story. Recently, I'm sitting here realizing I need to introduce a character (antagonist) and finding that it makes me sick to write the character because of who he is.

8. Green Faery

Green Faery New Member

Definitely when I have the ENTIRE plot mapped out, and even have setting sketches etc, but when I got to write, the words don't flow. It ends up like an info-dump or some dream that never made any sense.

9. Zaylee

Zaylee New Member

I hate it when I have a story idea, but when I sit down to write it nothing comes alone, just pitiful dribble. Basically, what Green Faery said!

10. Nilfiry

Nilfiry Senior Member

When I don't feel like writing. That's the most frustrating of all. :-D

11. ManicHedgehog

ManicHedgehog Member

Aside from my chronic procrastination, I'd have to say action.

I love getting deep into descriptions, both physical and metaphysical. I love playing with words and trying to find new ways to describe people and situations. But when it comes to actually moving the plot along, I usually hit a wall. I'm working on it, but it'll take a lot of practice to get over it.

12. psyence53

psyence53 New Member

I hate that 90% of the time there is nothing. Then i may briefly get this surge of motivation, but it doesn't last long and just as quick the ideas are worthless :(

13. ozymandias

ozymandias New Member

When I have a great idea for a scene in my head, but when I write it down it feels flat and doesn't come across anywhere near as dramatic as I had imagined it.

14. sophie.

sophie. New Member

What frustrates me the MOST about writing is my own technique (or lack of it)!

Plus the fact I never motivate myself to write, and when I do 9 times out of 10 it's boring or a complete mess. So at the moment, I'm not writing, I'm just making notes. It's less frustrating that way.

15. sven

sven New Member

Currently residing in Maple Creek Saskatchewan
    What I hate is getting writers blocks perodically. Also when I have the urge to write and I can't. I am either working so I can't clearly sit down with my papers and write something at work. Or the fact if I am way to bored to write and I play video games to get inspired to write. Sometimes just sitting and staring at a blank page or a half written paragragh trying to figure out what you were writing in the first place. Due to the fact you get distracted or you have to go somewhere and you come back and you can't remember a thing.

16. jlauren

jlauren New Member

What I hate most? Feeling THE MOST inspired when I can't possibly sit down to write! Usually when I'm a work or sitting in a meeting, at a friend's house etc. Any time my mind has a chance to wander really. And without a doubt, when I have copious amounts of free time to write, I sit in front of my computer screen and stare at the flicking cursor after the last sentence I wrote a week ago, completely uninspired. GRRRR.

AND, knowing what needs to happen in the plot, but being in a mood where clever sentences just don't come.

AND, laying in bed at night after countless restless nights, wide awake as the story plays out in my mind like a movie....ARRGG.

17. Castlesofsand

Castlesofsand Banned

I usually have a pad and pencil on me, Jessica, and jot down an idea or two in short sentences, usually i just build a story around them when i have that time. losing an idea is a horrible thing but a small pad and paper seemed to help me.

i get frustrated when editing(though i know it needs to be done) its not so much correcting the stumbles, as it is, connecting all the dots that correction has associations with, sometimes one change carries on through the whole story, changing other outcomes. thats frustrating.

CoS

18. jlauren

jlauren New Member

Yeah CoS I make a habit of typing my ideas into my phone as they come to me. I guess what I was getting at was the inability to write it all out in this situations. It's always the case though - whenever I have time to write, I can't be bothered!

19. Bongo Mongo

Bongo Mongo New Member

That I think about my story all day, but come night time I completely forget about it.

This has been going on for about two or three months.

20. Lydia

Lydia Contributor Contributor

I get frustrated when I can see the story in my head, but I can't find the right sentences to write it down... :S

21. lynneandlynn

lynneandlynn New Member

Erm...the fact that I always have a beautifully clear picture in my head and then when I sit down and put pen to paper, it inevitably changes because on paper, my characters decide they want to go in a different direction than the one I originally had planned out in my head for them. Annoying sometimes, but at least going along for the ride is fun!

~Lynn

22. kyle777

kyle777 Member

Since I'm writing a series, my mind always wanders several books down the line and I start improving the plot of those books and not the one I'm currently working on. It's maddening!