1. Francesca Monseigneur

Francesca Monseigneur New Member

Short Story What Genres Exist for Short Stories

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by Francesca Monseigneur, May 17, 2023.

Hope you are all having a great day...I would like to know if there are genres for short stories like there are for novels.

2. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

I think the genres are the same for both, at least for the most part. There may be some that are more specific to short stories though, I have no idea.

3. MWB

MWB Active Member Contest Winner 2023

It might be more accurate to say that certain genres do not lend themselves well to short stories.

You would have difficulty telling a Tom Clancy-esque military spy thriller in a short story format, not that it couldn't be done, but I think the shorter the short story is the more writing skill will be required to properly tell that complicated Clancy-esque thriller using that format.

Never say never and never let anyone tell you it cannot be done though!

X Equestris likes this.
  4. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

There are tons of genre magazines dedicated to specific genres. And they're, honestly, not hard to find. Basically, every genre that exists for novels also exists for short stories. I would suggest reading several short stories from several publications specializing in the genre(s) you are interested in.

5. X Equestris

X Equestris Contributor Contributor

All the same genres exist for short stories but, as MWB pointed out, some genres and sub-genres align with the format better than others. Writing a satisfying romance or sprawling fantasy epic in less than 7,500 words would be a challenge for even the best authors and might require bending some genre conventions.

Now, if we’re talking about selling short fiction, the range of genres is much narrower. Literary fiction, fantasy, and sci-fi dominate the traditional short story scene, with mystery and horror rounding out the Top 5. Over on the self-publishing side of the business, erotica sells very well despite there being only a few traditional markets.

You can sell short stories from genres with a smaller footprint, like westerns, but the magazines and anthologies catering to them tend to pay little if anything.

6. w. bogart

w. bogart Contributor Contributor Blogerator

MWB likes this.