What got you interested in reading?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Paki-Writing, Nov 22, 2009.

1. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

You can't tell from the door icons?

The kilted figure marks the men's room, and the pants-suited one marks the ladies' room.

2. ChimmyBear

ChimmyBear Writing for the love of it. Contributor

When I was about eight or nine, my mother took me to the library. She had been talking with me about the story "The Yearling" by Author: Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings.

I read that story and it touched me so deeply that I don't think I ever looked at books in quite the same way again. It is my belief that I have always kept reading because I want to discover a story that can move me the same way this book did. Of course I have never again read anything close. For me, it is like being kissed for the first time, you never feel the Earth move quite like that again. ;)

Still, I will journey through many books and stories longing for just a twinge of emotion as strong and profound as I felt when I read The yearling all those years ago.

3. madhoca

madhoca Contributor Contributor

My father read us a bedtime story every night if he wasn't away on military duty. He was an amazing reader, doing all the voices differently, he really made the story come alive. One book I particularly remember was 'We didn't mean to go to sea' by Arthur Ransome.
    We also didn't have TV until I was 15 yrs old. We mostly lived abroad, so my parents didn't (or wouldn't!) see the point. Since computers didn't exist then, reading, inventing stories and drawing were my main occupations when I was at home--and still are (plus 1-2 hrs a day surfing the Net!)

4. Paki-Writing

Paki-Writing New Member

My first kissing experience was really bad! Come to think of it, I use to hate reading also. It wasn't until the third grade I picked up a book I liked.

5. bruce

bruce Active Member

There was this girl who loved English literature...

6. ChimmyBear

ChimmyBear Writing for the love of it. Contributor

I am sorry to hear that. I guess I should mention I am a terrible romantic and a dreamer to a fault. My writing always gives me away. :redface::rolleyes:

7. burned_out

burned_out New Member

What got me so interested in reading is that my whole family read, and they read me bedtime stories almost every night. I knew how to read before I started kindergarten, hehe.

My aunt and I share book recommendations, lol.

8. lavendershy

lavendershy New Member

You will probably gasp at this and not believe me, but when I was in elementary school, we did not have a TV. And since I'm fourteen, even then that was unheard of. My parents read to me from the time I was about as distinctive as a loaf of bread, and when I was almost five I could read like a fifth grader. So, yeah, I guess you could blame my parents. :D They haven't been able to tear me away yet.

Cheers,

lavendershy

9. DragonGrim

DragonGrim New Member

Stories are what got me into reading. I do not enjoy staying in one place and crooking my neck for hours… straining my eyes. Unfortunately, some stories I’ve read have been powerful enough to cause me to go through with the grueling process so that I can find more like them.

10. Gone Wishing

Gone Wishing New Member

I can't remember at all what got me interested in reading, it was always just a kind of naturally instictive activity, I suppose - probably fostered through bedtime stories from when I was little.

I also remember my family sitting in a circle on the loungeroom floor and telling stories instead of watching TV, so I always have that fond, romantic notion of storytelling in the back of my head, which fuels the desire to read more.

11. candafilm

candafilm New Member

I loved the Goosebumps books as a kid. When I reached 7th or 8th grade I started picking up Tom Clancy books (you know a teenager loves action stories). My friend and I would always see who could finish a book first. Once I hit high school I started reading philosophical books like 'Thus Spoke Zarathustra'. I actually kind of stopped reading in high school which I regret (I became a film buff in HS). Within the last couple of years I have started to really get into reading again. I'm hoping to get a Kindle or Nook to help my reading fix since I'm always on the go.

12. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I read a lot of stuff as a child as my sisters did, then stopped, and it was in my mid teens when I started again, and I've not stopped sinse (considering I'm still in my teens ... yeah) but for the life of me, I can't remember what it was that got me back to the reading corner.

13. KelKutThroat

KelKutThroat New Member

My mum got me into reading, I grew up with her always holding a book, so I took it up myself. Throughout my life I've been ahead of myself with reading/writing (maths I'm pa-thetic at) so it's always been there.
    I used to get in trouble for reading in school as well (mostly English since our teacher was how do I put it? - Thick as a log) So it just shows what today's educational board is like. :rolleyes:

14. Writers_Block

Writers_Block New Member

What made me interested in reading?

Y'know, I can't say that one individual occurence made me interested in reading. Lately, I admit I haven't even been reading too much. There is hardly any time left in the day after I accomplish everything that must be done. When I do have the time though, I think it's the way that you can totally leave this life and enter a world of fantasy, science fiction, or really any type of world that you are interested in. That, is what originally got me interested in writing. So, overall I would say that over time I grew to accept literature as a form of escapism. It just sort of happened over time.

15. Dante Dases

Dante Dases Contributor Contributor

I've grown up around books. I honestly can't remember a time when I didn't have books of some shape or form around me, and it was perhaps just natural to me to pick up those books and read.

And ever since then, it's been impossible to pry me away from the pages of a book.

16. Evil Flamingo

Evil Flamingo Banned Contributor

Honestly, the whole Goosebumps series got into reading. I loved them back in the day.