Tags:
  1. MilesTro

MilesTro Senior Member

What has been done with Werewolves

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by MilesTro, Oct 15, 2012.

I am planning on making a werewolf story, but first I want to know what has already been done with werewolf characters. There is a lot of reasearch to check out, and it is giving me a headache. What do you know so far about them in different media stuff?:eek:

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Why? Everything has been done, and yet anychoice you make can be turned into a unique story.

Uniqueness derives from the details of the writing.

Save yourself some pointless research. Just write it.

3. MilesTro

MilesTro Senior Member

Of course I can make it unique based on how I write it. Sometimes new fresh ideas can help.

Here is a list that I know about werewolves.

1. A wolf bite infects you.

2. You transform during the full moon.

3. Sometimes you can transform into a humanoid or regular size wolf.

4. You eat humans or animals.

5. Silver kills you.

6. You become hybersexual.

7. You wake up naked with no clue of what the hell happen during the morning.

4. Fivvle

Fivvle Member

What has already been done with werewolves? Well, it doesn't really matter. Worrying about what has or hasn't been done won't get you anywhere in writing.

5. SJ Wonder

SJ Wonder New Member

Somewhere in the middle of nowhere Nebraska
    Just an idea---take a common characteristic and twist it a little-- comedy? Your werewolf's baby canines fell out in kindergarten and permanent canines never grew in so your character has to adapt his attack technique. Or maybe, when he howls at the moon, he attracts all the feral cats in the neighborhood so....in his human form, everybody thinks he's the weirdo cat guy...

6. MilesTro

MilesTro Senior Member

A wolf attracting cats? He could eat them.

7. JJ_Maxx

JJ_Maxx Banned

No, those are what you read that someone else made up about werewolves. Werewolves aren't real. The can be anything you want them to be. How about just hearing their howl infects you? What if they actually lose power from the moon and only howl because they're mad?

Bottom line is that you can take what's been 'done' and create around that, or do whatever the heck you want.

It's cliche, but you gotta go get outta the box. ;)

8. MilesTro

MilesTro Senior Member

If a howl can infect people and turn them into werewolves, there will be a lot.

How about werewolf cheerleaders?

A group of drunk girls wonders into a forest and gets bitten by a run away lab wolf. After their transformation, they realize they can use their wolf abilities to win cheerleading competitions to become popluar. However, they become hybersexual and they start to hunger for human flesh. They also eat their dates while having sex and transforming at the same time. Talk about beastieality!

9. Mikewritesfic

Mikewritesfic Active Member

What hasn't been done with werewolves? Honestly, werewolves and vampires have been played out to the max.

10. Mikewritesfic

Mikewritesfic Active Member

Alright, you have caught my attention. Elaborate graphically, please. :)

11. MilesTro

MilesTro Senior Member

It is suppose to be like a Teen Wolf parody with dark humor. I might work on it soon.

How a world where everybody is a werewolf?

Plus anything can kill a werewolf. Why just silver?

12. sharonwagoner

sharonwagoner New Member

Once when I lived in Colorado Springs, at about 3 a.m. all the dogs for blocks around started to bark and howl in a high pitched frightened way. The sound made the hair on the back of my neck stand up. I got out of bed and looked out the window. A really large bear was walking along the street.

I called the police and they and wildlife officers followed the animal until it was out of populated areas. The wildlife people thought it was headed to a place to hibernate.

The way the dozens of frighted dogs sounded was really eerie. Maybe strange wildlife encounters, like that one, could be a source of inspiration that you could twist to make more supernatural. I imagine there are news reports that you could draw on.

13. steve119

steve119 New Member

Everything has been done with werewolves but don't let that stop you as it is how you use the mythology of werewolves in your story that counts. Look at what Stephanie Meyers did with them (spoiler alert for those who haven't read breaking dawn) she had people calling some of the characters in her books werewolves right till the end when it turned out they weren't werewolves but shape changers from native american mythology and alluded to werewolves being something completely different. you could invent something completely new to werewolf mythology after all they are fictional monsters. in the Buffyverse created by Joss Whedon for example there are two different types of werewolf there are the Oz type of werewolf's and there are Nina Ash type of werewolf's only limits as to what you can do with them is your own creativity.

14. MilesTro

MilesTro Senior Member

Of course the werewolves in Breaking Dawn are shape changers. Real werewolves are humanoid monsters. I also learned that werewolves in Native American mythology are known as Skin Walkers.

What are the Oz type werewolves and the Nina Ash type werewolves? I am not familiar with the Buffyverse.

15. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

Werewolf playing basketball. That's been done.

16. James Berkley

James Berkley Banned

no one has told me what a werewolf tastes like yet though. maybe a story about some guys that hunt werewolves and cook them up. Kill it and grill it!

17. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

This, I like.

18. MilesTro

MilesTro Senior Member

Would it be cannibalism if the werewolf used to be human? I saw an Angel episode like that. Completely creepy! A hot werewolf girl in it was about to get eaten by a cult of werewolf eating humans. They end up eating one of their own member after he got bitten. Angel should have killed them all.

And what werewolf tastes like? Probably how dog tastes like. Go to China to find out.

19. steve119

steve119 New Member

Well in the buffyverse There are more than one species of Werewolf. Nina Ash contracts lycanthropy from a breed of Werewolf never seen before in North America called Lycanthropus Exterus. Thus Nina is a different species of werewolf to that of Oz
    The more common werewolf is smaller, with a heavy coat of fur, and while still being very dangerous, doesn't have a large mouth or canine set of teeth. The Lycanthropus Exterus on the other hand walks on two legs, has longer, more powerful arms, is larger and sports a more canine-like head fangs. It is unknown if the varying breeds have different strengths and weaknesses, or if their differences are mostly cosmetic.

20. steve119

steve119 New Member

Nina Ash is the hot werewolf girl MilesTro mentions in his reply above as the Buffyverse is the world in which both Buffy and Angel are based

21. steve119

steve119 New Member

also i think a skin walker if i remember correctly is different from a werewolf in the fact they have to actually wear the skin of the animal they turn into whether it be a wolf or any other animal

22. MilesTro

MilesTro Senior Member

So there is a humanoid werewolf and a normal wolf shape werewolf.

23. MilesTro

MilesTro Senior Member

Yes, that makes sense.

24. steve119

steve119 New Member

no the Oz type werewolf is more ape like than wolf like and the Nina type which you are familiar with from the episode of angel you mentioned is the more humanoid type of werewolf we see in many movies like Dog Soldiers and many others too numerous to mention.

25. MilesTro

MilesTro Senior Member

Oh, so there is a monkey wolf and a human wolf.