What has been done with Werewolves

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by MilesTro, Oct 15, 2012.

Tags:
  1. steve119

steve119 New Member

yeah kinda lol I'm sure there are clips of oz as a werewolf some where on youtube lol you'll see what I mean they are very chimp like in their movements.

2. steve119

steve119 New Member

My ultimate advice would be don't get too bogged down in worrying about the mythology behind the werewolf as that should not be the most important aspect of your story. what is more important is how your characters interact and deal with the werewolf situation. you could use the most basic mythology of werewolves are people that turn into wolves at the the full moon and can only be killed with silver and still write an amazing story. I would also suggested think about what readers of the genre expect. Sometimes significantly changing a mythology readers of the genre have come to accept as lore regarding that creature can be harmful to your novels sales potential and therefore it's chances of being publish or accepted by readers. For example I know many people who dislike the twilight books for no other reason than the fact the vampires sparkled in the sun. So always keep the readers of the genre in mind whist you are writing it helps stop you getting to self indulgent a crime I think all writers are guilty of at times lol. a more important question to ask your self would be are the characters believable can people relate to them do they interact well with each other and do they deal with the situation in a way someone wants to read about. The Mythology is not what should be the important driving force of your story that should be the characters and if you do change the accepted lore regarding a well know monster type let it come naturally through the story and therefore making it believable and more acceptable to the reader.

3. MilesTro

MilesTro Senior Member

I am kind of interested into putting science into werewolves than using the mythology. There are a ton of paranormal werewolves been done to death.

Since I read The Zombie Survival Guide by Max Brooks, I began to think what a realstic werewolf will be like.

Here are some ideas:

1. Werewolves are a race of transspecies mutants, basically humans mutated into hybrid wolves from a mysterious virus.
    The virus is belief to carry wolf gene and pass it into humans to rewrite the human gene code in a matter hours.
    Only wolves carry the virus.

2. Infected humans transform during the full moon because of the time period it takes for the virus to mutate the host.
    It is just a consequence that the transformation begins during the full moon.

3. Silver is not the only thing that kills werewolves. Anthing can kill a werewolf. It is just a myth from hunters who uses only
    silver bullets.

4. Werewolves can not reproduce, even in human form. Because the virus messes up the human gene, the human egg will always reject the werewolf sperm.
    The infected genes become foreign to the normal human gene.

5. Werewolves return into their human forms because they are still going through the transformation.
    It takes time for the virus to take complete control over the host. Transforming back and forth is all part of the mutating process.
    In a matter of years, the host will soon remain as a werewolf for the rest of his or her life. All his or her human traits will be gone,
    leaving only the mind of a blood thirsty wolf.

6. When the infected transforms, he or she will lose a lot of body fat. The body burns up during the transformation, which is logical why
    most werewolf men have strong muscules in their human forms.

7. Female werewolves are rare because most of them don't survive during the transformation process. Males have better chances because
    their bodies are stronger. However, if a girl survives the transformation, she will develop masculine quaities and hybersexual behavors. Also
    she will never become pregnant. If she is pregnant during the transformation, she will miscarriage. Nobody is born as a werewolf. In werewolf form,
    she appears as a male wolf because of intense muscule growth and the lost of her feminine features. But don't worry, she will still look hot in her human form,
    until she becomes a full werewolf man eater.

8. Anything can be a werewolve besides humans. If a cat gets infected, it will become a big kitty wolf. Birds can also become flying wolves with wings.
    The virus can rewrite any organism into the wolf species.

9. Why do werewolves only think like wolves? The virus also carries the basic wolf psychology along with the gene. When a person transform, the only thing he or she thinks about is meat, sex,
    and other basic survival instrinct. After becoming a full werewolve, he or she just do what normal wolves do.

10. Can the infected control their transformations in order to keep their humanity? Nope. Once you get bitten, you might as well lock yourself in a basement.
    And when you become a full werewolf, all your human memories and morals will be gone forever. You will become a mindless killing monster.

11. Is there a cure? There can be, but the virus is bad as AIDS. Since this virus is rare, none of the doctors or scientists are worry about it.
    To invent a cure would cost a lot of money. So the best cure so far is death.

What do you think of this science on werewolves? I know anything is possible, but this is just my own idea.

4. steve119

steve119 New Member

definitely some great ideas there especially the werewolves can't breed perhaps that could be the big threat rather than the werewolves themselves due to the fact that as the virus spreads it cuts down on the human race's ability to reproduce therefore less children being born and therefore that's the real major threat to humanity as a whole.

5. MilesTro

MilesTro Senior Member

If the virus, which I called the Lycan Virus, spreads across the world, it will lead to human extinction. A cure will then be worked on. However, if scientists can change the virus, everybody might control their transformation and reproduce. It can take a miracle to achieve that.

6. steve119

steve119 New Member

yeah perhaps not Lycan but entirely up to you it your story as it conjures up images of underworld. not that I can talk i use the term lycan in my writing to. these are just suggestions it is entirely your choice what you use in your story but my other suggestion instead of Lycan Virus perhaps Lupine Virus or Lupus Virus might take you a bit further away from trad werewolves if that what you are trying to do.

7. steve119

steve119 New Member

just remembered there is a real disease called Lupus already doh! but lupine means wolf like

8. MilesTro

MilesTro Senior Member

I could also call it the L. Virus; short for Lycanthropy Virus. I wish I could use the Lycan name.

Lupus disease is gross.

9. steve119

steve119 New Member

use Lycan if that's what you want to use it's your story after all and lycan is common name for werewolf what i said were merely suggestions use what feels right to you

10. MilesTro

MilesTro Senior Member

I can also invent a new name for werewolves, but I do like Lycan.

11. lixAxil

lixAxil Self-Proclaimed Senator of the RPG subforum. Contributor

Make the werewolves a race of aliens.

12. steve119

steve119 New Member

yeah go with what you like if you want to call them lycans and werewolves call them that also the reader knows what it is your story idea is good so whether you call them lycans, werewolves or even species challenged individuals (for insane political correctness lol). what you call them should not effect your story if it is good

13. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

monkeywolf....

.... awesome....

14. MilesTro

MilesTro Senior Member

I also have vampire aliens.

15. marktx

marktx New Member

Not quite everything. I see a huge future for my next werewolf novel.

My working title is "50 Shades of Fur."

16. Kaidonni

Kaidonni Member

Since my work involves 'weres', I thought I'd give a bit of advice - research is your best friend. I wouldn't worry at all about 'accepted lore'* since most of what people see as lore isn't even a tenth of the story (throwing in arbitrary value for flavour :D). Forget Hollywood's take on were-creatures completely, forget the Wolfman and forget the Underworld movies. Just as there are different versions of vampires (e.g. they don't all die when exposed to sunlight - just watch Bram Stoker's Dracula and you'll get what I mean, or research the myriad ways some folk tales specify must be done to kill a vampire), there are different versions of people who turn into animals (from dire versions to your Hollywood Wolfman version). A were doesn't have to be a murderous beast who turns on the full moon, it doesn't have to have amazing abilities, it can be killed by normal means, and so on. It doesn't have to be something out of a horror movie.

There will be people who don't like different takes on these things, but they aren't necessarily your audience. You must do your own thing, and you must make it work. People always want the same thing until someone makes them love something different, then they want both. The only true 'lore' about a were-creature is that it's a person who turns into an animal of some sort and to a specific degree, and it goes back a long time; the tale of Bisclavret goes back to Medieval times, and the were must put on his clothes to turn back into a man. Also, werewolves in Lithuania weren't evil - they were given their powers by God to fight evil.

I'd hate to think there was only one accepted manner in which a person could turn into an animal...

*Go check out the tvtropes website and search for anything on were beasts and were wolves (using those terms - just using were won't cut it, it's not specific enough since as it has other meanings :p). Lots of different things have been done, so 'accepted lore' is all over the place, it's just about everything.

17. MilesTro

MilesTro Senior Member

What is it about with werewolves?

18. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

I'll take two!

19. MilesTro

MilesTro Senior Member

How about zombie werewolves?

They are faster than human zombies, hard to kill, and they look more freaking with their decaying features.

Think of a humanoid verison of that zombie doberman dog from Resident Evil.

hat if there is a werewolf, who is a vampire slayer?