What Hobbies Have you Had?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by OmniTense, Nov 16, 2019.

Tags:
  1. VictoriaPrincess

VictoriaPrincess Member

I've had a few hobbies but none I really stuck with. Cooking and baking was a hobby of mine for a while and so was singing, until I realised I can't sing! However hobbies I'm more into now are: video editing, classic car restoration, game design, art and taking walks throughout the countryside (when it isn't raining).

Some Guy and ThunderAngel like this.
  2. Some Guy

Some Guy Manguage Langler Supporter Contributor

Swings! Swings in the rain! :D

3. ThunderAngel

ThunderAngel Contributor Contributor

Oh, certainly! :) I must have my rainy nights. :)

4. Alan Aspie

Alan Aspie Banned Contributor

I'm gonna tell only one of my past or present hobbies. It's...

A cheap FF, few cheap primes like this dirty 50/1.8.

50-1.8 likainen-1731.jpg
    ©Alan Aspie

I'm dreaming of a fancy Canon camera (R5) and a bunch of better lenses but I can't afford those now and that body is not yet on sale.

I wan't to learn and do some...

...and I'm sure I will.

With a camera and one prime.

Sumuinen sade-0267.jpg
    ©Alan Aspie

5. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

One of my favourite lenses is the Helios 44-2. It's super cheap at the moment and is really easy to adapt to Canon. It works best on full frame, but I've used it on Nikon D3300, and I still like how it looks. Just remember to always shoot wide open and use a lens hood if you don't like lens flare.

Alan Aspie likes this.
  6. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

I thought photography was an interest of mine, too, but after the family clubbed together to buy me a small mirrorless, interchangeable lens camera I realised my interest lay in the final results only. I'm ashamed to admit I've never even taken this camera out because 'pointing and shooting' with my iPhone is so much easier and gives results that I'm more than satisfied with.

Leathercraft
    has been/is an interest, but it's expensive and has a steep learning curve, but again I think my real interest lies within my fascination with wallets, which is why I'm starting to experiment with other materials to make them, such as Tyvek and Kraft-tex.

I used to paint (watercolour) and draw an awful lot when I was younger, but haven't done so for decades and feel no real inclination to go back.

Customising 'off the shelf' blog templates like blogspot and tumblr. I became quite familiar with CSS but never became competent enough to build from scratch.

Making walking sticks/staffs. This is a relatively new one, made possible through my job working on the maintenance of local greenspace.

Poetry, on and off.

Film and TV, but very specific and limited to a few. I have an obsession with a couple of films - some of merit like Withnail and I, Kes, Spring and Port Wine - and others that are not so meritable such as the Carry On movies and big-screen adaptations of 70s British sitcoms. I'm going through a spell right now where I'm watching The Likely Lads film almost every other night. I've also watched the TV series Auf Wiedersehen, Pet so many times I'd be unbeatable on Mastermind, and can recite every episode word for word.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2020
    flawed personality and Madman like this.
  7. Alan Aspie

Alan Aspie Banned Contributor

The famous bokeh master?

Never had that.

The Dapper Hooligan likes this.
  8. Madman

Madman Life is Sacred Contributor

Hiking is my favourite hobby, few things beat the natural silence of the woods, with the wind in the treetops. I hike alone most often, just getting out there and being in nature is good for the soul.

I love old things, classical/medieval furniture, music, and architecture. I have a small collection of antique furniture in my home, hope to expand upon it. Some day I will build a small round tower and sit on top of it with an engraved shotgun yelling at kids stealing my apples.

Video games have been a lot of fun for me. I love to experience and influence imaginary worlds, it helps me develop my own world. One day I may try to make my own video game if I manage to get the funds for it. I have always been missing that one gem of a game that no one seems to have made well, where you can fight both space battles and ground battles, there are some, but they are not what I'm looking for. I've been modding games as well.

Only three hobbies you say? No, I have far more, done far more, but those are the main three that have been with me for most of my life.

Some Guy and OB2611 like this.
  9. OB2611

OB2611 Member

- Tap dancing
    - Dating (sadly had to stop due to marriage)
    - Lake swimming
    - Hiking / Camping
    - Gardening
    - Running
    - Dog whispering (see pic)
    - Self-loathing
    - Flute playing
    - Going to work (my real job is writing :p)

10. flawed personality

flawed personality Contributor Contributor

Yes, I'd say your fetish is a hobby. Probably more so when you can actively implement it. ;)

And you are not a loser! :friend:

Cave Troll likes this.
  11. flawed personality

flawed personality Contributor Contributor

Past hobbies:

Colouring,
    Collecting Barbie dolls and playing with them when I was a child,
    Collecting charity badges,
    Swimming,
    Learning acoustic guitar,
    Playing my keyboard,
    Playing Sims like I was being paid for it,
    Learning French and Italian,
    Magazines on fashion and weddings.

Current hobbies:

Baking,
    Minimalism,
    Make do and mend,
    Card making,
    Hand sewing,
    Writing-poetry, short stories, blogging. I have a pile of story ideas, including sequels, but I don't expect to ever complete them.
    Online games, but not multi players.
    Photography - mainly nature, but I've expanded into urban, which has proved pretty fun.
    Walking. I'm not one for sport or general exercise, but I can walk for England (though not to it from Ireland, sadly).
    Collecting craft supplies for card making and sewing. Far more than I could ever need. :p

Last edited: Mar 8, 2020
    OB2611, Some Guy and Cave Troll like this.
  12. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

I've been playing my willy over forty years. Sometimes it hasn't been possible to indulge my passion.

Other times it is all I got.

"Combine your pleasures with the pastry and the baking," she says and she laughed, all mean, standing there with the rolling pin; fully dressed, of course.

I rejected the proposition, took to my bath. A favourite time playing aqua scuba. Jacque Cousteau, submarine and globules of oxygen. Man time.

dickface

Last edited: Mar 7, 2020
    Some Guy and Cave Troll like this.
  13. Senko

Senko Member

I guess reading is one of my favorites.