What I learned writing my novel.

Discussion in 'Insights & Inspiration' started by nippy818, Dec 7, 2015.

1. Hwaigon

Hwaigon Member Reviewer

Second to the right, and straight on till morning.
    I mean. Who hasn't felt like that?
    I do believe though that one has to bring a project to completion. That in itself has some kind of mysterious, driving force. For me, at least, a project
    does not need to be perfect, reasonably good, sure, at least having a passage here and there, the wording of which I'm proud of, but finishing it is
    the saving merit.

Megs33 likes this.
  2. Megs33

Megs33 Active Member

Totally agree. In my very specific case, as someone who has spent entirely too much of my life telling myself what I SHOULD do, what I HAVE to do, this will be a wonderful exercise in letting go. I'm well-versed in rigid, unforgiving discipline and the accompanying anxieties and fears; now I'm hoping to get myself a little more chilled out and well-rounded before wading in to the authorial deeps. Scrivener and I have a very cautious and juvenile relationship.

I always knew I was a newbie, and now I'm learning that the "newbie" status carries more subcategories than I care to name. So i'll keep plodding along and hope I get this thing right. Here's to blind faith. :-D

honey hatter likes this.
  3. karanveer41

karanveer41 New Member

Wow, what an inspiring message. Thank you for sharing these insights.

God bless you for your effort.

honey hatter and nippy818 like this.
  4. honey hatter

honey hatter Banned

N818 inspiring words I'm going to take to heart. ❤️
    You made the vein on the left side of my neck tingle. That only happens when I feel inspired... or...
    This is another tool I can add to my chest. So helpful thank you. I am taking things one step at a time.

nippy818 likes this.
  5. nippy818

nippy818 Active Member

I'm glad to see that this thread is still inspiring other writers! This last 7 months have been so hectic that I haven't been nearly as active as i used to be. It came down to another thing I learned, the more I consumed, ie. tv, movies, books, comics, internet, ect. the less i had for my own creativity. I'm still working on being more of a creator than a consumer, but since i placed myself in that mind set my productivity has been through the roof. I'm on the 5th or 6th draft of the second book in the series, on the 2nd draft of the third book, and I have recently started a pulp sci fi noir serial.

Magus, honey hatter and Cave Troll like this.
  6. Cave Troll

Cave Troll Contributor Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Glad to hear you got your groove back. :cheerleader:

honey hatter and nippy818 like this.
  7. nippy818

nippy818 Active Member

thanks! its been a long process, but I'm defiantly killing it these days!

honey hatter and Cave Troll like this.
  8. honey hatter

honey hatter Banned

Megs33 such a good post! Words to live by. The accompanying anxieties and fears i am too well versed in... That is now like an old decrepit vampire metaphor for my neurosis that i have driven a wooden stake through it's dried up desiccated heart and watched the ashes float away on the wind. My apologies, even though my heart no longer beats, i wish to defeat my old demons and move onto something greater.

Megs33, nippy818 and Cave Troll like this.
  9. cutecat22

cutecat22 The Strange One Contributor

1. make notes. Your brain tells you it will remember things, but it's a bloody liar. Write notes.
    2. don't pay as much attention as you think you must, to the word count. It's important in some instances (certain publishers will only take novels of a certain length) but the story, the plot, and readability are all far more important than upping that little counter in the bottom corner of the screen.
    3. there are no rules to writing fiction. Pay attention to the rules of spelling and grammar, fuck everything else and tell your story.

D.Clarke, BlitzGirl, nippy818 and 4 others like this.
  10. honey hatter

honey hatter Banned

This may be some of the best advice I've seen, I'm actively following it everyday, I constantly forget things so I'm trying to write out my ideas as soon as they come.

cutecat22 likes this.
  11. cutecat22

cutecat22 The Strange One Contributor

I'll often email myself from work if something hits my brain as I know I'll forget it.

honey hatter likes this.
  12. honey hatter

honey hatter Banned

i'm getting ready to write, hopefully i'll come up with something good.

cutecat22 and nippy818 like this.
  13. Spirit of seasons

Spirit of seasons Active Member

Wile I don’t use physical notebooks, I have a drawing pad at work, and a good note taking app on my phone.

I had such a hard time with my first project. I had to many outlines, and everything felt very forced. I’d barely get 500 words per day. Followed by long strings of writers block.

Fast forward to when I got the idea for Evergreen. It flew out of my head and onto the page. I’ve made a habit of typing instead of hand weighting because I can do that much faster. Disabling spell check and auto correct helped a lot. I consistently write at least 1k words per day, but I don’t beat myself up if I don’t hit my goal. I’ve only missed one day of writing so far.

jannert and nippy818 like this.
  14. CerebralEcstasy

CerebralEcstasy Member

What have I learned from writing my novel? I don't think I'm a writer, I spend all my time editing!!!!! Some days I will rewrite a paragraph, or two, or several and I don't even recognize the work I had previously. I have about 17 different iterations on my drive, and some of them still have good material, others, I should probably delete.

Thanks to some good critique I've been working at fleshing out scenes, writing character bios, and surfing Deviant Art for things that make me go 'wow, that makes me think of this scene or that character'.

nippy818 likes this.