Tags:
  1. TheThinkerDeath

TheThinkerDeath Member

What is my genre?

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by TheThinkerDeath, Mar 29, 2019.

Hello everyone, I've been very apprehensive about posting to these forums. There's something nerve-racking about writing amongst writers. I've been lurking for quite some time and I would like to say thank you to everyone that participates in these threads I've studied and learned quite a bit.

Now towards my point, I am writing my first book and I am convinced that there is nothing else like it in existence. I do not believe that any book like this has ever been written and for that reason, I have held the details close to my chest.

The truth is that I am not sure how I would categorize my work, I'd say I am roughly 80% finished writing it though. Apologies, if my description is somewhat vague.

I would describe my book as a composition. It is an amalgamation of sorts...combining poetry, song, elements of exposition, and etc...

I would describe my work as nonfiction, but it is more than that. it is a work philosophy, a manifesto, a grimoire, an autobiography. I'm not sure how to classify it myself, as I believe it has never been done.

Any thoughts?

Just a cookiemunster likes this.
  2. Malisky

Malisky Malkatorean Contributor

Oooh! I'm intrigued! I love stumbling upon artistic creations such as these. :)

I don't know which genre exactly they fall under. I'd call them experimental anthologies? Will your book also include graphic material?

I've bought a beautiful book once, that on first mention kind of reminds me what you've described. (This doesn't mean that your book isn't unique).

The singer of Incubus, Brandon Boyd, has created two volumes of a similar kind. I bought the second volume titled "From the Murks of the Sultry Abyss". Sadly, I've lost it when I moved. :( Check it out and tell me if this somewhat resembles your style. If it does, I'm a fan! :D

TheThinkerDeath likes this.
  3. TheThinkerDeath

TheThinkerDeath Member

Interesting, I have nothing in which to draw comparisons. I'm not sure what you mean by "graphic", my book is somewhat of a horror/tragedy, among many other things. Experimental anthology seems to capture somewhat of what I endeavor to express, though I remain uncertain. I truly believe that this is something new.

Malisky likes this.
  4. Malisky

Malisky Malkatorean Contributor

By graphic I meant sketches, photos, doodlings, etc.

5. TheThinkerDeath

TheThinkerDeath Member

Ah, I see...

I have planned for some at the end, though I would have to contract an author and I would prefer not to.
    Honestly, I plan on making a movie of it.

6. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

Don't call it an anthology. An anthology is by several different writers in one book. A collection is my a single author. However, if it's nonfiction, it's nonfiction. Nonfiction books are typically sold based on a proposal. In that proposal, you will need to list similar titles. It will most likely be a problem if you can't. I have read some pretty creative memoirs that might do something similar to what you're doing. I would suggest looking at a few of those that take creative liberties. One that comes to mind is The Winter Sun by Fanny Howe. It sounds a little like you are thinking along the same lines she was. She is a remarkable writer in just about every form. Anyway, that might help you figure out where your book fits and to take a look at similar approaches that have been successful.

7. TheThinkerDeath

TheThinkerDeath Member

Thank you very much, I will look into this Fanny Howe. Though, I do not hope to be influenced in some way before I am content with my work. I would also describe my project as a memoir, it's interesting you mention her work as such because I have not.

deadrats likes this.
  8. TheThinkerDeath

TheThinkerDeath Member

Hello again, I've taken a look at Ella's works and I cannot really say that mine is comparable. I genuinely am convinced that what I am doing has never been done before, though our works share certain elements. You also mentioned that nonfiction books are generally sold based on a proposal in which the author must list similar titles. I am not familiar with this process as this will be my first published work. This is very strange to me, where is the space for something new in such a process?

Perhaps I struggle to describe the work appropriately...

9. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

"Genre" is a marketing tool used to clump books of a similar sort together so readers will be able to find the sort of book they're looking for.

If your book is not similar to other books, it will not have a genre.

Alternatively, if you really want a genre, you could call it "experimental fiction" or "experimental literature".

10. Fallow

Fallow Banned

Aren't you the author?

11. TheThinkerDeath

TheThinkerDeath Member

my m
    My mistake, I meant artist.

12. TheThinkerDeath

TheThinkerDeath Member

I'm fine with not having a genre if that is the case, maybe I'll even get to create a new one. I think at the heart of my uncertainty stems from not being able to properly express what it actually is.

Because it is so many things...

It appears that I have been searching for something concrete to hold on to, something that could help guide this chaos of my own creation. Maybe I am not meant to find order in looking towards a label to obtain some semblance of comfort.

These are new waters to discover, and I swim alone.

13. Matt E

Matt E Ruler of the planet Omicron Persei 8 Contributor

This sounds a bit like epistolary, which is a term usually used for fiction comprised of all sorts of documents, which could include news clippings, journal entries, letters, poems, stuff like that. I'm not sure what the nonfiction equivalent would be, but researching that term may be a good starting point. It is less a genre than it is a form.

14. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

It's been a long time since I looked at it (and I never read it thoroughly) but Michael Ondaatje's got a book with Billy the Kid in the title that's kind of like this... yup, looked it up, at https://www.amazon.com/Collected-Works-Billy-Kid/dp/067976786X so you can use the Look Inside function to get an idea of the structure. It's a mix of poems and articles and vignettes and whatnot. They've got it classified as poetry, but I know I've seen it listed as a novel before, too.

15. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

Google nonfiction book proposal and you'll get tons of information about how they work and what goes into them. I did a proposal once. My book never sold, but the proposal is what agents and publishers are going to see first. You do include sample chapters, but that's not even the biggest part of it. My proposal was over fifty pages and a lot of work. And this is where you ARE going to need to be able to describe your work appropriately.

I think there is always space for new stuff, but that doesn't change the standards and process for publishing such works. Think about where your book would fit in a bookstore. Where is it shelved? What's next to it or around it on the shelf? This should be something you make easy for a bookseller. There's nothing wrong with getting creative with writing and our approaches to storytelling. It just isn't going to change the way agents, publisher and bookstores operate. And that's okay. It doesn't mean your book won't sell, but you should make yourself aware of the steps and put in the extra work to make your story a success.

16. poy

poy Member

Have you heard of My Struggle by Booji Boy(DEVO)? It fits your description pretty well and you might get some inspiration from it if your book hasn't been completed yet. It's out of print, but you can find a pdf online. Your genre could best be labeled as surrealist.