What is the hardest kind of writing?

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by Dan Rhodenizer, Jul 27, 2007.

1. GaMeFreakJ

GaMeFreakJ Active Member

Yeah, for me it's everything.
    If you want to put your perfect on paper everything becomes hard.
    But the hardest to write would probably be history or realistic stories for its research.
    When the story has to be perfect and realistic that makes it in my eyes soo hard to write.

2. John Calligan

John Calligan Contributor Contributor

Probably narrative non-fiction screenplay about your own life.

Maverick_nc and GaMeFreakJ like this.
  3. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    First POV Present Tense. Also hated according to most people who read it. :)

Rzero and GaMeFreakJ like this.
  4. Alan Aspie

Alan Aspie Banned Contributor

Fiscal declaration.

5. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

A lot of things are hard in their own way, but we find our comfort zones and that tends to be where the magic happens. I would say writing genre fiction is the hardest for me. I tried several times, but I just don't really pull it off all that well. I do love writing zombie stories whether I'm good at them or not. It's not my main focus, but it is a guilty pleasure. But genre over all is just hard for me, harder than it should be. I end up writing stories that are more literary taking place in a genre world of sorts and that just doesn't work well when it comes to selling stuff. I think most people here are genre writers. Hats off to you guys because it's a lot harder than it seems.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
    peachalulu and Cave Troll like this.
  6. Maverick_nc

Maverick_nc Contributor Contributor

I second this. Writing about ones own life requires a rather painful level of self reflection, and pouring your soul onto the page for others to see is not easy. Furthermore, creativity is stifled by the requirement of being truthful, so keeping said tale interesting is damned difficult.

7. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Clark Kent, is that you? Trying to pretend you are a mere mortal like the rest of us? :D

Alan Aspie and Maverick_nc like this.
  8. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

Maybe we should use the caveat good poetry. As 99%, including mine, is absolute shit. Good poetry is incredibly difficult while bad poetry is simplistically easy. I believe this is because you need a unique voice to make something worth adding to the pile of work already out there, and most people struggle to find one. That's why I admire Bukowski.

Personally I've written all of the forms mentioned. (I assume script means stage-play). And so far the very hardest thing I've had to write has been a synopsis.

Edit: on second thought, the format I've struggled with the most is short film scripts. Good short films are hard.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
    Necronox likes this.
  9. Necronox

Necronox Contributor Contributor

Poetry for me. But then again I really don't like poetry at the best of days.

Also. This thread needs a poll...

But it seems that the majority of people seem to think poetry is the hardest

Malisky likes this.
  10. Alan Aspie

Alan Aspie Banned Contributor

If you want to write well, you must do it no matter what is your genre, topic, plot, theme, characters....

Maverick_nc likes this.
  11. Maverick_nc

Maverick_nc Contributor Contributor

You are right, of course, What is the saying? "One must bleed onto the page" or something like that.

Alan Aspie likes this.
  12. Malisky

Malisky Malkatorean Contributor

Yep. Poetry and music lyrics. Also keeping a nice tone of drama (in dramatic scenes) without over- or under- doing it.

13. Selbbin

That was Hemingway. "There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed,"

GaMeFreakJ and Alan Aspie like this.
  14. badgerjelly

badgerjelly Contributor Contributor

I don’t find writing hard, but I do struggle with editing. I cannot honestly say I find script writing, novel writing or writing poetry any more difficult than the other. I’m more inclined to write within certain formats than others though.

I remember hearing/reading something about general critique somewhere recently. Basically the point was that if you were a bad at something then the chances are you wouldn’t know it - meaning good writers recognise good writing and bad writers cannot really tell the difference.

So I guess the hardest thing about writing is recognising failure and success. If you get them the wrong way round you’re going to need so much good luck that it is would be near impossible to bring to fruition your latent talents. This isn’t exactly ‘writing’ specific though, just the general constitution of life.

My personal weakness lies in academic writing. My artistic disposition often leads me to write with colour where colour is distracting. I’ve never really tried to write journalistic/political pieces ... I imagine that would be quite challenging because assessing my audience isn’t a string point of mine (nor a concern given my aims).

15. Lawless

Lawless Active Member

Lyrics for children's songs.

16. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Hieroglyphics.

EFMingo and Rzero like this.
  17. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

layered writing.
    making it all come together in such a way that it doesn't seem transparently deliberate.

18. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

After I writted 800 words of shit on a screen I'm sitting gurgling, then I smear actually this fresh shit all over the Wordpress and straight away, and I sit waiting with my tongue out for some internet acne-folk, these kind of hunchbacks plugged to soup, I think, to give me some of their orange dots on my screen, please. Orange is my happy colour.

'Hey hey orange spots are from Marketing Networks woo hoo! THEY ARE FOLLOWING ME!!!'

Also if my mummy was in the room I rush to her - and I would read it all aloud at her socks. 'This is funny heh, Mummy?'

'Yes, my Prick.'

I need the services of a 'milkman,' or a postman to call at my door, and shoot me a tranquilizer dart and I wake up properly for a draft two instead of exposing myself most literally. Also sometimes in first draft I'm not very nice to understand. It's like when you would probably all give anyway, would give a guy an orange spot for sympathy because who hasn't spewed his guts on the internet? That's when I go to their websites and ask them this question properly.

'And why did you give me my orange spot? Do you like me, really?'

That's a problem difficilly. I need to write all my book down, publish my book, and buy a video camera of me opening my book at the letterbox.

'Oh my God my book, I never thought my book.' I'm crying.

I've seen them other them do it. It can be done.

EFMingo and Alan Aspie like this.
  19. Rzero

Rzero Reluctant voice of his generation Contributor

Songs. I can write poetry that people enjoy (on occasion,) though most is fairly anti-rhythmic. Some of the more lyrical poetry I write is even decent, and I can make up a guitar lick or progression or even an entire multi-section song worth of music (again, on occasion.) I just can't seem to cram the music and lyrics together. Ever. Dunno why.

20. aguywhotypes

aguywhotypes Active Member

any

21. degeh

degeh Banned

Poetry is absolutely mesmerizing to write, despite whether it is good or not, i am utterly terrible at anything involving dialogue, it confuses me.

22. Maddy Knight

Maddy Knight Member

For me, to date, it's novels. Poetry I like but rarely dabble in it. I'm new to novels, so still fighting (?) with it. So far it's novels 3, Maddy 0.

23. Selbbin

Although you seem to have mastered brevity.

24. CrimsonAngel

CrimsonAngel Banned

I think memoirs and essays are hard to write or anything non-fiction.