What is the purpose of your life?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Bssam, Sep 19, 2019.

Tags:
  1. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

I am fortunate living in a desert compound, with high security surrounding, to fill my happy life with sensation, tastes and stimulation.

We really have the finest food, wine, and surgeries on our doorstep.

As a community once a year we take our own motor vessel on an ocean cruise, shitting in all the waters of the world together. I swim with pigs.

It is a wonderful life of experience paid for by my astute investments.

When I, or we, finally sit aside my maker's throne, when my third or fourth heart expires in mid-operation, with the Chinese convict at my side, I shall boast in my heaven - how I alone have ejaculated on over one million occasions [+ medically-assisted] - on over one million women, and men, and cups and saucers, and catalogues struggling in the early years.

Malisky and The Dapper Hooligan like this.
  2. Ragne

Ragne Member

In Yorkshire ? I don't trust that at any time.

matwoolf likes this.
  3. matwoolf

Yeah, that's true...

Not that I'd mention this fact, except on-line. I'm deeply immersed in my 'study project'/ community-building and such-like.

Ideally I'd live in some kind of kebab shop with my brothers. I always saw myself living in Beirut, dancing and mafia, and my 'fields' out of town.

4. Ragne

Ragne Member

What a spirit of self-sacrifice! I pull my hat off

I have always dreamed of going to Beirut too and making love to warheads. What an explosif way to end.

Cave Troll and matwoolf like this.
  5. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

I totally agree with you. Depending on other people for happiness is not a good idea. That way, if you're not 'happy,' the tendency is to blame that on other people. If I could only find Mr Right, or if only my mother had loved me properly, or if my children weren't led astray by their teachers, etc.

Having said that, I've discovered 'happiness' is usually masked by day-to-day concerns and worries. I can't imagine any lengthy period of my life where I was going around head in the clouds being 'happy.' However, if you ask me if I'm more or less contented with my life situation, I'd say yes. Happy is like sad. It only happens once in a while. Most of the time I'm in some less exalted or depressed state.

I think 'happiness' needs to be defined before it can really be discussed. Does it mean contentment? Does it mean satisfaction? Does it mean euphoria? Does it leave you laughing? Or smiling? Or just peaceful? Or energised?

Mish and matwoolf like this.
  6. jannert

Sounds like a Plan.

Ragne likes this.
  7. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

Sounds like a right banger.

Ragne and matwoolf like this.
  8. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    :superidea:

9. Glen Barrington

Glen Barrington Senior Member

You know, there is quite a distance between the two questions, "What is the meaning of life?" and "What is the meaning of YOUR life?"

Words are funny things.

jannert and Cave Troll like this.
  10. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Apparently my purpose is to feed people and take their money. Not how I planned it, but it's what I'm good at.

ETA: wow, now I'm depressed. Thanks.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
  11. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    My parents were selfish imbeciles who felt the need to aggrandize themselves with premeditated reproduction and thus ripped me from the void. My purpose is to get back to whence I came.

12. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

42?

The Dapper Hooligan and EFMingo like this.
  13. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

Only if you work in base-13.

14. Moon

Moon Contributor Contributor

Whatever I make it to be.

I'm a stubborn, arrogant fucker for sure. Plays out well so far though.

peachalulu likes this.
  15. GrahamLewis

GrahamLewis Seeking the bigger self Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2024 Contest Winner 2023

an oasis of PC midst right-wing extremism
    Zen Flesh, Zen Bones
    "Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans." John Lennon (no doubt elsewhere as well).

I don't usually think in terms of a purpose anymore -- more of opportunities instead, chances to experience; I see my life as a flash of lightning from one darkness to another. I like to think I'm smarter and more compassionate now than I once was, but don't know for sure how or if that matters in the cosmic scheme of things.

16. jannert

My purpose is to get to The End as late as possible with as little trauma as possible. Simples?

peachalulu and matwoolf like this.
  17. Baeraad

Baeraad Senior Member

Could be worse. At least you're providing people with some pleasure and nourishment. Not world-shaking, but you could make the argument that people's days are constantly a small bit better for you being in them.

peachalulu and Homer Potvin like this.
  18. Aceldama

Aceldama free servant Contributor

The bible
    To spread the gospel.

peachalulu likes this.
  19. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

I'm a Christian so my relationship with God is first and foremost. Even if I never publish, even if things don't quite work out as I planned, when friends fall away, when the world is cruel and disappointing - he never fails me.

Aceldama likes this.
  20. EFMingo

EFMingo A Modern Dinosaur Supporter Contributor

Honestly, I'd get a bit bored that way. I either want to live forever, or go out with a bang. Sometimes trauma is bit exciting I think. Of course, maybe I'm a little insane. Not many people have broken so many bones as me, relatively. You get used to pain. And the traumas make for good conversation!

jannert likes this.
  21. jannert

I think when you hit 70, trauma isn't quite as attractive as it might have been earlier in life. Heck, I don't even want to fall down, never mind go out with a bang!

When I was young, I did lots of falling down/bang stuff ...but no more. I'm not actually decrepit yet, but I've seen people my age GET decrepit really fast if they get injured. Nope. I just want to bask in reflected and reflective glory, read books (and maybe write another one) mess around with my hobbies, support a few worthy causes, learn new things, go nice places, be with friends (and family when possible) enjoy my home life, eat my husband's wonderful curry he just made....

And I want to wake up dead in the distant future and not even know it happened.

Some Guy, Baeraad and EFMingo like this.
  22. matwoolf

I see where you are coming from, asides from the 'honestly' crime which is unforgivable, tho' the imagery provoked is of some dickwit with his drumstick on a paper plate, one glass of wine and :

'That anniversary we parachuted Tasmania...and next month scuba-d into the Maldive zone...ya, in my experience..'

'I am so sorry - man - I puked on your face, can I help you to a bathroom, throw you out of a window sometime? Here's my card.'

I am rather more sympathetic toward the @J scene - her milky goggles, glaucoma fog, as she wheels herself toward the postman at her door, chihuahuas at the wheels, my people etcetera....

peachalulu, jannert and Some Guy like this.
  23. pyroglyphian

pyroglyphian Word Painter

Hi @Bssam

Guess it's natural for people to want to infuse themselves with a sense of purpose; it adds to the illusion of significance. It would be interesting to uncover what you mean by 'your life'.

[​IMG]

matwoolf likes this.
  24. meisenimverbis

meisenimverbis Member

I don't know...

To cultivate knowledge and, hopefully, wisdom. To learn how to be a better person, a better human being. Perhaps to learn to accept my imperfection. Hopefully too to reach some people around me.

25. OmniTense

OmniTense Active Member

My purpose in life, as defined by me, is Part One: to write a book. Publishing it would be too good to hope for, but I'll pursue it anyway. Part Two: to raise, establish and tend to trees and plants. My ideal existence, my self-actualization would be a person who both writes published fiction and tends beautiful gardens and arbors/orchards. Maybe also to make some wine/preserves/jams/jellies from said orchards. That's the dream.

-SIN

Baeraad likes this.