What is your favorite book?

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by chad, Oct 19, 2006.

1. Idiot

Idiot New Member

The Catcher in the Rye by JD Salinger
    The Thrawn Trilogy by Timothy Zahn
    and The Watchmen, if it counts

2. InAGreyWorld

InAGreyWorld New Member

i really like "the secret life of bees" by sue monk kidd
    and also "a seperate peace" by john knowles.
    and "to kill a mockingbird". that is such an amazing book...i could read it all day for weeks.

3. kikd84

kikd84 New Member

I don't really have a favorite. After just reading "Avalon" by Anya Seton, I really like that one and I am going to look into her other books.

4. Green Faery

Green Faery New Member

I could never choose, but my top ones:
    All the Harry Potter books, His Dark Materials trilogy, Memoirs of a Geisha, Angels and Demons, Undone, Vampire Academy, and Bram Stoker's Dracula. Those ones I probably re-read at least once a year.

5. Jobeykobra

Jobeykobra New Member

I'd have to go with either 1984 or American Psycho. Both greatly illustrate how society is headed in the wrong direction, but one is more of a serious story of love and rebellion against the Government while the other is a dark satire told from the eyes of a conformist in the yuppie society who's in a way rebelling against it in the worst way possible.

6. Zaylee

Zaylee New Member

I have quite a few, but narrowing the list down and it would have to be...

That Devil Called Love - Lynda Carter
    My Sister's Keeper - Jodi Picoult
    Second Glance - Jodi Picoult
    The Pact - Jodi Picoult
    Nancy Drew books - Carolyn Keene

7. Republic21

Republic21 New Member

I also have quite a few and many of them are those i recently read.

Twillight-Stefenie Meyer.
    Harry Poter3- J.K.Rowling.
    Harry Poter4
    Harry Poter5 and 7.
    Also the Inheritanse series are some of my favorite books.
    I mostly read fantasy and adventure books.

8. arron89

arron89 Banned

lol you might not find many friends here XD

9. Hidesunderrocks

Hidesunderrocks New Member

Hey, there is nothing wrong with enjoying Twilight. I found many flaws with it, but I still thoroughly enjoyed reading it. I'm sure there are lots of Twilight fans in hiding on this site just to keep people from picking on them!

10. arron89

arron89 Banned

<< didn't wake up today...the sparkly vampires got him...

11. Sinbad

Sinbad Banned

It's hard for me to pick favorites because I think every book I've read is special and has altered my life for the better. I think one of the most precious pieces of writing I've read is Walden by Henry David Thoreau. I cannot say enough about this excellent work. It takes the spirit for a drive down the purist track of human experience, and it has made me think about things in a new light as well as reinforce old beliefs.

12. samessex

samessex New Member

Junk, by Melvin Burgess without a doubt

13. tbeverley

tbeverley New Member

Tertium Organum, by Ouspenkii.

I had a conversation with a friend while sitting in a library. We were discussing the nature of reality, and we agreed that our reality must be the third dimension. Then, we wondered what the fourth dimension was.

I looked up "fourth dimension" on the school computer. There was a book named "Tertium Organum," which I then searched for on the library shelves.

The book, when I found it, was like a great ancient tome: It's binding was worn; it's cover was black with the title in thick crimson lettering, as if written in blood; the pages had yet to be separated (older books were printed with two pages joined together, which were then cut by either the printing press or the first reader: this book had obviously never been read, as all the pages were still joined).

I carried the giant tome home. Then, a magical world opened. Before the school year was out, my life was irrevocably changed and I spent the next ten years reading and thinking about the nature of reality.

I will always remember that book as if it were sitting in a wizard's laboratory on a giant pedestal: When the first pages open a great gust of glitter-dust sprays outward and mesmerizes the reader, ultimately transporting him from the realm of the ordinary to the realm of the miraculous.

But, it was just a book. Or was it?

14. SingToMeMuse

SingToMeMuse New Member

It's a toss up between Jane Austen's Northanger Abbey and Persuasion, which coincidentally were originally published in one volume. If I HAD to pick one though I think I'd lean a little more toward Northanger Abbey.

I'm guilty! Though I wouldn't say they are my FAVORITE books but I do thoroughly enjoy them...being a lifetime Washingtonian though I think it's like a birthright. It was like falling into an adventure written in my own backyard.

15. ChaseRoberts

ChaseRoberts New Member

I've actually not read Twilight. Saw the film, that was okay, but a bit generic.

I used to read the Point Horrors (do you still get them, btw?) and quite enjoyed them. I've always been more of a werewolf sympathiser myself though.

I remember reading two books when I was young (I did in fact read more than two, but I've been thinking about these ones recently). The first was called 'When the Moon Turned Blue'. I can't remember what it was about much, except for two sisters had to rescue their father from some such predicament, but it must have been good because I read it about five times in a year (I was about six or seven at the time).
    The other one is killing me, because I want to re-read it, but I can't remember the author or the title, which is, of course, a major help in finding the book. It was about a young boy and a younger girl, possibly called Anna, who was French, who lived in a Dark Imposing Hall until it burned down and they were made homeless and destitute. They went into the city to find work. First they picked up old cigarettes discarded on the ground, and then made them into new cigarettes, but then a bully figure stopped them. The young lad then turned his hand to working in the sewers, where he found all sorts of trinkets and junk, whilst Anna went to work in a cotton factory. It ended well, with the boy finding the will that stated their inheritance to the family fortune thrown into the sewers by the Villan.
    Does anyone know the book? I really enjoyed it.

Other than that, I was a huge fan of the Hardy Boys and the Three Investigators. I still have some I've foraged from charity shops over the years, that I read over and over. And A Little Princess. I love that book.

There's really too many books to totally pick a favourite out of them all, but (currently) my top three are:

1. A Little princess Francis Hodegson Burnett
    2. The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy- Douglas Adams (first read when I was fourteen, had a copy, lost it, got another copy, lent it to a friend, eventually procured a copy from the library back in 2004, and have so far failed to return it)
    3. Les Miserables- Victor Hugo. We had a (very) abridged version of Jean Valjean's story in our Level 10 reading book at school, which I read when I was about seven, having developed a voracious appetite for literature. I then discovered the musical, and when I was twelve, I got the book. It took me forever to read, being that I struggled a bit with some of the concepts and words, but once I'd finished, I knew I'd be reading it again. Now of course I just whizz through it, but oddly, it's one of those books where you get something new out of it every time you read it.

16. Mercurial

Mercurial Contributor Contributor

Well, now, look what you've done! I've got to find this gem. :)

I'm not quite through Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged yet (I'm about halfway through part two of three), but I find myself thinking about it when I'm not reading it and applying its philosophies to my every day life. When I'm not doing that, I'm talking about it to anyone who will listen! :p This woman was probably the most brilliant author who ever lived. I've got to get my hands on The Fountainhead, which I've learned is actually somewhat of a prequel, next. My only regret is that I hadnt picked it up sooner. With the dry bookjacket and sheer size and small print, I figured the book would be very dry. She is a bit longwinded (IE Francisco d'Anconia's speech about how money is not the root of all evil --man is, and money is just a tool man uses to accomplish his dirty deeds-- could have been condensed to maybe two pages --not five), but I suppose her mastery makes up for that. ;)

In the same vein, I really like John Green's Paper Towns. It's for a completely different audience (Green is generally regarded as a YA author as most of his characters are in high school) and is not politically charged, and the purpose of the book is probably to entertain, but I like how he also emphasizes the importance of individuality throughout the novel (and throughout all of his novels, actually).
    I love novels like these --the ones that teach you something; they accomplish the task to keep you entertained and withdrawn from the real world, but their lessons are so impacting that you apply it to your real world... That's cool. :)

I cant pick a favourite. Probably one of the two mentioned above.

17. MYSTERY MAN

MYSTERY MAN New Member

My favorites.

1. "IT", by Stephen King.
    2. "Swan Song", by Robert R. McCammon.

18. Strike The Dog

Strike The Dog New Member

1: Warrior Cats Rising Storm

2: Warrior Cats into the wild

4:Warrior Cats Forest Of Secrets

5:Warrior Cats Fire and Ice

19. ManhattanMss

ManhattanMss New Member

I felt exactly the same way you did about Rand when I first read her books. There's a little book called IF ON A WINTER'S NIGHT A TRAVELER by Italo Calvino, which I thought was perfectly fascinating. It's a fictional story about a fictional story. It's so unique and so well done and fascinating enough to read again and again. If you like learning something while enjoying a story, I'll bet you'd love it. I don't usually have favorite books either, but favorite authors, myself. This book almost changed my mind, though.

Ouspensky's stuff does look interesting, doesn't it? I read Flatland by Edwin Abbott a long, long time ago, which has also stuck in my mind as a fascinating take on dimensionality. It's a teeny little book, though (or at least a good deal less than a tome).

20. arron89

arron89 Banned

Haha I just read Flatland this year, its such a cute little book. But then, its also really quite deep, and it influenced basically every science fiction book ever written (whether the author knows it or not...)...I wouldn't say it was my favourite book (or even Top 10), but its definitely an interesting book, particularly if you're interested in the origins of scifi.

21. Anders Backlund

Anders Backlund New Member

Thank you! I was beginning to despair.

Neverending Story has been my all time favourite book for many, many years, with Ende's other masterpiece Momo as a close second.

I sorta consider them companion stories, though, one dealing with imagination and the other dealing with time. Both need to be read by everyone, everywhere. Period.

I'm in the middle of reading the first book right now. Honestly, aside from the horrible, horrible prose, it's not nearly as bad as I'd heard it was. It's even kinda fun.

Absolutely not one of the best books I've ever read, though.

I've heard a lot of praise for Martin's writing, but I'm avoiding those books specifically because they are described as brutally realistic. I think I would end up hating them for that reason alone.

Call me childish, but I prefer my fantasy to be mercifully unrealistic. ;)

22. Ferb

Ferb New Member

I read the series mostly out of curiosity. I found the second and the third book somewhat bearable (didn't bother with the fourth book since Bella getting pregnant at 18 was just too weird for me), but I'm not sure how the first book is supposed to make you want to read all of them. Virtually nothing happens throughout the 400+ book. And when I say nothing, I mean nothing.

I can see why many girls would like the series, though. It's like a weird fantasy come true.

As for my favorite book, I can't say I have one. I'm not too picky, so it changes every week.

23. 13YrOldWriter

13YrOldWriter New Member

My favorite? Well, that would have to be the Twilight Saga! I :love: that Book Series sooo much! XD

24. harry potter 6

25. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

I love Twilight a lot, and it's not cuz it's some "weird fantasy" for me. It's not. It's awesome. But that's my OPINION. *waits for Wall Of Death-like beatdown* Lol, I've always wanted to do a Wall of Death. But anyway.... I also love the Bronte sisters, Charlotte and Emily. My faves are Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights, those are incredible. Pride & Prejudice (sp?) is good, too.