1. Doran Shroud

Doran Shroud New Member

What kind of parental dynamics should I use for these characters?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Doran Shroud, Nov 14, 2020.

Alright so, I have my main story planned out somewhat and I have most of the character development mapped out but I'm running into the issue revolving several side characters. Namely the parents of the main three characters. To keep it brief, said characters are dragons from a hidden city and the story follows their journey home while facing monsters, magic, etc. Now my issue lies with the family of these characters, two of which are adoptive brothers (different species too) and the other is a female dragon who's have her wings ripped off as a hatchling by her bio parents.

Now for the brothers I have a sub-plot revolving around their dad, who has a complex history revolving around the Dragon King, who also rules the entire city. It's hard to describe it quickly but the two of them have known each other for decades. My initial idea was to have the brothers with both a mum and a dad but I'm been pondering just leaving them with a single dad, as having two parents creates a few annoying plot issues down the line. (In this case the mum wouldn't have died more so the bros are just adopted by the dad) Which do you think works for this? In either case the dad goes to look for his sons but is unable too for plot reasons.

For the female dragon, her adoptive parents rescued her from her bio ones after the latter took her wings. Now I wrote it so that these parents basically own a foster home, adopting dragons that were abandoned or rescued. My issue lies in that someone pointed out to me how having something like a same sex relationship with the parents would make for a more interesting dynamic and would explain the fostering aspect of their relationship. See I don't really mind either way, I'm just curious, from a writing stand point, which would benefit the story and, more importantly, if I can write it believably as I've never tried that before.

I can see the benefits with either choice but I'm not sure if said choices would even work for the story or end up just raising more issues down the line.

2. mar-iposa

mar-iposa Member

I wouldn't follow this person's advice if it were my story. I don't think a same-sex relationship is inherently a more interesting dynamic, and it is less likely to be interesting if you don't feel that you can write it believably. I also don't believe either option benefits your story more than the other, if all plot points remain the same regardless.

Funnily enough, when I watched Shazam (not necessarily a shining example of great writing, I know...) I noted that it was the first time I had seen heterosexual couple choosing to become foster parents. I hadn't ever seen that in media before. I thought it was neat to see a couple who felt they didn't need to have biological children to have a family. In this case, the het relationship was an interesting dynamic for me. Write the characters that you want to write and, with a well-written narrative, the interesting dynamics will follow.

Doran Shroud and cosmic lights like this.
  3. IasminDragon

IasminDragon Member

Yes, quite often the world also forgets some people don't have the choice, and pregnancy isn't like in the movies...

mar-iposa likes this.