What kind of reader are you?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Hubardo, Mar 27, 2016.

1. Sal Boxford

Sal Boxford Senior Member

1 Are you a fast reader? Slow reader? - Oh my, such a slow reader of fiction. Non-fiction I find easier and can breeze through.

2 When you get excited do you skip descriptive parts to get to the dialogue or action? - Not usually - I mean they didn't write it just to fill the page, right? They're probably trying to achieve some effect.

3 Do you look words up in the dictionary or on your Kindle? Or do you just assume you'll absorb the meaning through context? - Very lazy. I'll pick it up through context and if I can't, well, if the word was that important to the story the writer should have used a word I know (basically blaming the author instead of my own ignorance).

4 Do you take notes when you read? -
    Definitely. "Something Happened" took me threee months to read because I had to put it down every other page and marvel at it. I've tried taking notes. I do a fair bit of turning down corners, then coming back at the end to make notes and not being able to work out why I turned down the corner on a particular page.

5 Do you tend to remember or forget characters? - I think I tend to remember them. I get *far too attached*. Ocassionally one or more characters in complicated novels get amalgamated or split out in my head.

6 Do you put a book down for days, weeks or months, then return to it? - Yes, sometimes.

7 Do you only read fiction? Only non-fiction? Go back and forth? - Both. I probably read more non-fiction because I find it easier to read.

8 Which do you spend more time doing: reading or watching TV/movies? - Watching TV. God bless TV; taught me everything I know.

9 How many books do you read per year on average? - Who knows? I kept a record for a while. In 2011 I read 26 books - 23 non-fiction, 3 fiction. This year it's been maybe 5 or 6 short story collections so far.

10 How do you discover new books? (ie, friends, advertisements, etc) - Mostly I follow the links between one book and another - easy enough with the bibliographies in non-fiction. With fiction, I follow up the authors mentioned in the introduction (for classics), internet lists for modern classics, and for contemporary stuff I just browse the library for interesting titles.

11 Have you gone through genre phases? (ie, in my teens I loved fantasy, now I'm more a romance junky) -
    My own 'social justice' phase aside, I think I've been fairly consistent in my tastes.

12 Do you read before bed? In the morning with food/coffee/tea? On lunchbreaks? On the bus/train? Is there a place you like to read? Can you read anywhere? - Almost exclusively before bed and first thing in the morning. I'll sometimes read on a weekend afternoon.

13 Do you go on reading binges then not read for a long time? - Yes.

14 Do you ever feel burnt out on reading? (somewhat related to the above question) - Yes. That's how I came to write my first story (still not finished). I felt like I'd put too much stuff into my head and needed to get some of it out again.

15 What about Audiobooks? - Tried them. Not crazy about them. Given how difficult it was to cancel my Audible subscription I now have an outright aversion to them.

2. NeeNee

NeeNee Member

Feel free to answer this in more of a prose fashion, or with bullet points:

1 Are you a fast reader? Slow reader?
    I like to savor a good story. I don't want to be rushed through it, I want to enjoy every bit of it. I am a fast reader but I am not in a hurry to read through the story if it's a good one. I save hurrying through things like news stories or work related documents.

2 When you get excited do you skip descriptive parts to get to the dialogue or action?
    No, I want to read every word the author wrote.

3 Do you look words up in the dictionary or on your Kindle? Or do you just assume you'll absorb the meaning through context?
    It's rare that I see a word I don't know but when that does happen if it's not easily figured out through context I look it up on my dictionary app.

4 Do you take notes when you read?

Not unless I am reading something for work or school and know there will be a test.

5 Do you tend to remember or forget characters?
    Depends on the book. There are some books that I never really felt that invested in the characters and then there are other books where the writer made them come alive and I felt like I actually knew them in their world.

6 Do you put a book down for days, weeks or months, then return to it?
    If the book is so boring that I can't get into it, I put it down and forget about it.

7 Do you only read fiction? Only non-fiction? Go back and forth?
    Lately it's mainly been fiction but I do enjoy an occasional true crime (Ann Rule type) story or a well written autobiography about someone who did something fascinating.

8 Which do you spend more time doing: reading or watching TV/movies?

Honestly I don't spend a lot of time doing either. There's a few shows that I really like but most of the time the TV is off. I usually read at least once or twice a day - my lunch break at work and before I go to sleep at night. The majority of my time is spent on the computer doing different things.

9 How many books do you read per year on average?
    Mostly depends on how I am feeling and how much time I have available, but on average I would say I read about three books a month so that would work out to about 36 books a year. And this is my slow time. I have had periods in my life where all I wanted to do was read and would average three books a week.

10 How do you discover new books? (ie, friends, advertisements, etc)
    Good Reads book reviews are a really good place for me to learn about what's out there.

11 Have you gone through genre phases? (ie, in my teens I loved fantasy, now I'm more a romance junky)
    Not so much a genre phase but definitely an author phase, if I read something that I really enjoyed I seek out more books by that author and I don't stop until I read everything that I could get a hold of that they've written. Shirley Jackson, Richard Matheson, Stephen King, John Grisham, Micheal Crichton, Sharyn McCrumb and many more.

12 Do you read before bed? In the morning with food/coffee/tea? On lunchbreaks? On the bus/train? Is there a place you like to read? Can you read anywhere?
    I like reading in bed just before falling asleep as long as the book isn't the type that will keep me up at night. (Do not read Pet Cemetery in bed people). I also read on my lunch breaks at work and anytime I know I will be sitting around waiting like at the doctor's office. When I have the money and the time I enjoy sitting at a restaurant reading a book over a light meal.

13 Do you go on reading binges then not read for a long time?
    Yes, mainly because I just get so busy that I don't have time to enjoy reading or don't have time to go to the library or a bookstore. I recently started reading again because my son turned me onto Neil Gaman.

14 Do you ever feel burnt out on reading? (somewhat related to the above question)
    Sometimes I get tired of the subject or the author and take a break from it. Then when I go back I try to find something different to read.

3. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

Fast.

2 When you get excited do you skip descriptive parts to get to the dialogue or action?

No, but if a book rattles on in too much description, especially overwrought description, I may put it down.

3 Do you look words up in the dictionary or on your Kindle? Or do you just assume you'll absorb the meaning through context?

I never look them up; I absorb. And I've read so many gazillions of books that it's rare that I don't know a word.

Never. Occasionally if something is relevant to work I'll return and extract quotes, but never while actually reading the book.

Do you mean while reading a book with a big cast of characters? I usually remember them. If I don't, that's usually associated with being bored with the book--it's not that I can't remember, it's that I have ceased to care.

Yep.

Both. Fairly often I'm reading two or three or six or ten books, both fiction and nonfiction.

Well, I rarely just watch TV or movies--I'm usually puttering on the computer or doing something else--including reading--while the TV or movie is on. But probably the number of hours that TV is one of my activities is greater than the number of hours that reading is one of my activities.

Does re-reading count? But, somewhere between 30 and 100, I'd say. If it's less than 50, I feel that I've done poorly.

For fiction, I tend to read every book by every author I like. When no books by any author I like are available, I'll dig through paperbacks--usually murder mysteries--at the bookstore or used bookstore, reading their first paragraph until something grabs me.

For nonfiction, I tend to hear about a book somewhere--a web page, an NPR interview, a book referred to by another book. And, of course, once I like a book I go hunt down all of that author's books, too.

11 Have you gone through genre phases? (ie, in my teens I loved fantasy, now I'm more a romance junky)

Fiction: As a child, I had fairly general tastes. Then I read a lot of fantasy and science fiction. Then I moved on to mystery. I've been on mystery for decades.

Nonfiction: I tend to leap wildly from topic to topic.

12 Do you read before bed? In the morning with food/coffee/tea? On lunchbreaks? On the bus/train? Is there a place you like to read? Can you read anywhere?

I'm always always always reading. I don't read while driving or billing my employer for work hours; otherwise, I'm reading. I prefer baths to showers because it's a reading opportunity, but I've been known to read in the shower. Seriously.

But in recent years I spend far too much time reading stuff online--forums, blogs, blah. I want to focus my reading time more on books again. I really should be finishing at least one or two books a week.

(No, I don't read from electronic devices in the shower. I have my limits.)

No, I always read, but I do tend to have periods when I'm not reading new-to-me fiction--I'll read nonfiction, or fiction that I've already read.

14 Do you ever feel burnt out on reading? (somewhat related to the above question)

Not burnt out, but sometimes lazy, or the addiction to online sources drives books out, or something.

4. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

I was highly irritated to discover that audiobooks absolutely do not work for me. I find that I'm constantly wanting to glance back to see what was said a paragraph before--obviously not an issue for audiobooks. This isn't a problem for me when listening to material that was intended for the spoken word--interviews, good podcasts, standup comics, etc. But material that was written for print just doesn't work for me in audio.

5. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

This can be an issue. I mostly buy audiobooks of books I've read in print, so if my mind wanders I don't lose the thread of the story. I'm someone that's happy to read the same book 20 times so it works for me. :)

6. jos84

jos84 New Member

1 Are you a fast reader? 1 Are you a fast reader? Slow reader? Fast. I tend to fit reading between caring for my two young children and housework, so if I'm going to read I have to do it quickly. Also, I read quickly but it sometimes takes me a long time to actually complete reading a book.
    2 When you get excited do you skip descriptive parts to get to the dialogue or action? Neither. i never skip.
    3 Do you look words up in the dictionary or on your Kindle? Or do you just assume you'll absorb the meaning through context?context, although sometimes I do use an online dictionary.
    4 Do you take notes when you read? I have never taken notes.
    5 Do you tend to remember or forget characters? I Remember if they are strong, if I forget a character it's usually because they were poorly written.
    6 Do you put a book down for days, weeks or months, then return to it? Very often! I have a newborn.
    7 Do you only read fiction? Only non-fiction? Go back and forth? Mainly fiction, although I do have a weakness for ww2 non-fiction
    8 Which do you spend more time doing: reading or watching TV/movies? Tv- usually CBeebies, although my son never goes to bed without at least two chapters of a Roald Dahl book.
    9 How many books do you read per year on average? I read my son a book a week on average and read about a book a month myself.
    10 How do you discover new books? (ie, friends, advertisements, etc) I usually read free chapters (many!) chose one author at a time and read their back catalogue.
    11 Have you gone through genre phases? (ie, in my teens I loved fantasy, now I'm more a romance junky) When I was a young teenager I was obsessed with the classics, then went onto point horrot(remember those?), after that I read a lot of romance novels and now I'm Mainly reading ww2 stories and a lot of children's books.
    12 Do you read before bed? In the morning with food/coffee/tea? On lunchbreaks? On the bus/train? Is there a place you like to read? Can you read anywhere? At night and during the night while I'm feeding my daughter. Sometimes during nap time.
    13 Do you go on reading binges then not read for a long time? Yes, although mainly because I don't have the time.
    Not really.
    15.audiobooks? Never.

7. Komposten

Komposten Insanitary pile of rotten fruit Contributor

I'm a fast reader, but I try to read slowly. That way the book lasts longer. :)

Occasionally, but I always jump back and read what I skip soon after.

I use a dictionary when it's absolutely necessary, otherwise I use context to tell me what I need to know.

No.

Depends on the character. Some are more memorable than others.

Rarely, but it happens.

Almost exclusively fiction.

Reading. TV can never match a good book.

Haven't read too much lately, so right now it would probably be something like 2-5. Eralier it was 10+.

Friends, family, browsing my favourite book store, and occasionally from ads.

No. I think I've expanded my preferred selection of genres, but not had any real "phases".

12 Do you read before bed?

Sometimes. Depending on if I have to be up early the next day.

In the morning with food/coffee/tea? On lunchbreaks?

Yes.

On the bus/train?

No, that's reserved for thinking or writing.

Is there a place you like to read?

Bed, armchair.

Can you read anywhere?

Depends on the kind of noise around.

Not really.

Not really.

8. ChaosReigns

ChaosReigns Ov The Left Hand Path Contributor

1 Are you a fast reader? Slow reader? I'm somewhere in between
    2 When you get excited do you skip descriptive parts to get to the dialogue or action? Nope
    3 Do you look words up in the dictionary or on your Kindle? Or do you just assume you'll absorb the meaning through context? Definitely a context kinda person
    4 Do you take notes when you read? Depends on what for
    5 Do you tend to remember or forget characters? If a character sticks out for any reason then i'll remember them, if not then i wont
    6 Do you put a book down for days, weeks or months, then return to it? Yes, I rarely read these days so i tend to leave books months before picking them up again, but i can still remember the storyline
    7 Do you only read fiction? Only non-fiction? Go back and forth? Been flip flopping between sides as of late because of university (and needing to read non-fiction for podcast script purposes
    8 Which do you spend more time doing: reading or watching TV/movies? Erm, I play video games/write more than both these things, unless YouTube counts
    9 How many books do you read per year on average? Possibly a couple, next year i am to write down what books i read and try to read more
    10 How do you discover new books? (ie, friends, advertisements, etc) Library
    11 Have you gone through genre phases? (ie, in my teens I loved fantasy, now I'm more a romance junky) Nope. always been into fantasy, but getting into horror a lot more now as well.
    12 Do you read before bed? In the morning with food/coffee/tea? On lunch breaks? On the bus/train? Is there a place you like to read? Can you read anywhere? Bed is my common time to read, it's when i tend to relax the most
    13 Do you go on reading binges then not read for a long time? Nope
    14 Do you ever feel burnt out on reading? (somewhat related to the above question) Nope

9. 6th.

6th. New Member

1 ) Slow. I like to enjoy the prose.
    2 ) Depends on how slow the build up is.
    3 ) Context.
    4 ) Kinda. I do like highlighting certain words or quotes if I like them.
    5 ) I remember the main characters.
    6 ) Yes. I have quite a few sitting on my shelf right now that I should probably read. :p
    7 ) Both.
    8 ) 50/50 if anime counts as TV.
    9 ) 75 - 150 if I had to guess.
    10 ) I just choose what looks good. :-D
    11 ) Yes! Currently loving old school science fiction.
    12 ) I like reading between classes or before I go to bed. I can read pretty much anywhere.
    13 ) I go on reading binges during the holiday. But I usually just read a book or two per week.
    14 ) Yes. I have a reasonably poor attention span. :(
    15 ) Never tried audiobooks. I can see why they could be good though.

10. Seraph751

Seraph751 If I fell down the rabbit hole... Contributor

I am a fast reader.
    No, my A.D.D. self gets laser-focused on what I am reading when my attention is ensnared/I get sucked into whatever world the characters are in.
    Whichever is more convenient. If I can gleam the definition from the context then that's all there is to it, if I cannot then I look up the word on whatever is easier for me at that moment. Generally google does the trick.
    Nope, I remember what I read when reading for pleasure, but I must take notes when researching.
    I remember characters if the book itself is good.
    Days sometimes, but generally I multitask reading 2 books min. at a time and multiple mangas simultaneously.
    Fiction, to be more specific I only read romance and all it's sub-genres for books. The only time I read non-fiction is for research, but I read articles not books.
    Reading by far.
    1 book every 1-2 days on average.
    I keep up to date with my fave authors i.e. I put when their new books are coming out on my calendar so I always know when a new book is available ^ ^ . I also set my search on amazon by genre, sub-genre, and reviews paired up with author's description.
    Yes though like I said I read all kinds of sub-genres within the Romance genre.
    Gimme good book and I'll read, 'nuff said. :)
    I do go on reading binges! ^ ^ The only times I do not read for long periods of time is if I just cannot find a book that interests me at the time and I do not wish to re-read a book at that time.
    Only if I cannot find a good book to read, then I am a cranky she-devil lol.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2016
  11. ToBeInspired

ToBeInspired Senior Member

Fast
    Never
    Never had to look up a word
    Never
    Remember
    Rarely. Usually finish books in a single sitting, if time allows.
    Mainly fiction, for pleasure, and nonfiction for informational purposes.
    I sometimes do both at the same time. Probably TV, more accessible.
    50 - 100. Some years maybe double that. Some significantly less.
    Kindle, book stores, or friends.
    Yep. Currently into fiction with an A.I. theme or virtual reality.
    I need to stop reading or being on the internet when I should be sleeping. Maybe I need to stop distractions and just write or do some work. I stay up way too late. It's 9am and still can't sleep. Planner on getting up at 11am, but I guess I could nap around 6.
    Yep. I'll crush multiple books a day, whole series and them stop.
    14 Do you ever feel burnt out on reading?
    After hours and hours in a single sitting, yep.

12. SoulGalaxyWolf

SoulGalaxyWolf Active Member

It depends on what I'm reading. If I really like it then I read quickly but if I don't really care for it then I read slowly.

Yep. I do that sometimes. I may go back to it or I may force myself although I feel the urge to do it.

I don't do it often. I look it up online or in my kindle and sometimes I will understand it in context.

Nope. I tried to in one book but I found that it takes away the enjoyment of reading, that and I didn't like the book by iteslf that much either.

I usually remember the characters, but there are times where I do and go back to the book to remember. I usually remember the main character the most (obviously).

Nah. If I put it down I usually forget all about it.

I'm only interested in fiction. I would read non-fiction but only if i'm REALLY interested.

I used to read a lot, but I tend to be picky so it's hard picking up books these days so I spend more time watching Tv/movies.

I don't keep count

Mostly from friends is when I usually consider reading a new book. I would browze book websites like amazon and read the summaries and see if it interests me.

Not by far. I'm sticking with fantasy at the moment.

I could read anywhere, well, if it's quiet anyways. I usually read before bed when I'm really into and cant put it down.

I would have to say yes and no

I would say yes again