What Makes You Inexplicably Happy?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by EFMingo, May 16, 2021.

1. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

This happens whenever I get off a plane in the Far East in summer. You get hit in the face by a wall of warm air.

Which doesn't help when you're dressed for the British weather when you got on the plane.

Hammer and Iain Aschendale like this.
  2. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    Did the opposite once. Flew in mid-late December from Honolulu to Seoul. In a C-130 with a broken thermostat so the heat was constantly on max to keep us alive. That was a shocker on landing.

Naomasa298 likes this.
  3. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

I get that entirely! It’s reminiscent of leaving a restaurant in Spain and strolling back to the apartment.

Hammer likes this.
  4. Earp

Earp Contributor Contributor

Summer Saturday night at a local stock car racing track. Drag strips, too.

Seven Crowns likes this.
  5. SapereAude

SapereAude Contributor Contributor

What Makes [Me] Inexplicably Happy?

Installing a new software program and finding that it actually installs correctly -- the first time -- and hasn't destroyed my computer in the process.

6. AntPoems

AntPoems Contributor Contributor

My job involves reading through public records all day, and I love finding all the unusual and unexpected names of people and businesses.

Case in point: today I encountered one Methuselah Z. Bradley, V. That's fantastic! Like he stepped out of a Heinlein novel after some adventures with Lazarus Long. I would hesitate to give a character in a story that name, but there's someone out there walking around with it. Stranger than fiction indeed.

J.T. Woody and Catriona Grace like this.
  7. Catriona Grace

Catriona Grace Mind the thorns Contributor Contest Winner 2022

One of my favorite sources of odd names was the jury lists we used to receive before trial. Prebble Phelps and Peachy Tugood were two of my favorites. The latter sounds like a Bond Girl.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2022
    AntPoems likes this.
  8. ruskaya

ruskaya Contributor Contributor

recalling long scenes from a dream and basking in trying to figure out what the dream means, what my unconscious is trying to tell me.

Xoic and AntPoems like this.
  9. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

Bank Holiday Mondays. Especially when you book the Tuesday off too.

Rad Scribbler and Bone2pick like this.
  10. GrahamLewis

GrahamLewis Seeking the bigger self Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2024 Contest Winner 2023

an oasis of PC midst right-wing extremism
    Zen Flesh, Zen Bones
    I found a 17th Century ancestor in Britain by the name of Olive Pitt in West Riding, Yorkshire. Married a Smith no doubt at least in part to get a new and plain name.

Catriona Grace and AntPoems like this.
  11. Catriona Grace

One jury list included a Patsy Montana Cline and a woman whose first name was Shannondoah.

AntPoems likes this.
  12. AntPoems

AntPoems Contributor Contributor

I assume the first didn’t make it past voir dire because she was crazy...

Catriona Grace likes this.
  13. Catriona Grace

Or because she wanted to be a real cowboy girl.

One assumes her parents were fans of both singers. Oddly enough, Patsy Montana was my maternal grandfather's cousin.

14. GrahamLewis

GrahamLewis Seeking the bigger self Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2024 Contest Winner 2023

Zen Flesh, Zen Bones
    One so-called perk of becoming a licensed attorney in this state is that you become a notary with a permanent commission. But if you are suspended or have your license revoked, you lose that privilege and never get it back -- you can be a notary like everyone else, for a four-year term that must be renewed after passing a test. No big deal being a notary, though you get a cool stamp and it impressed my daughter when she was young. Anyway, a few years back I farted around and didn't pay my dues on time, so my license was briefly suspended and therefore, I presumed I lost my permanent notary status, even though I paid my dues and had my license operative again.

It occurred to me the other day that I could maybe set up a side-gig as a notary, just for some spending money. I decided to refresh my memory as to when the suspension occurred, so I could re-apply. I went to the State Bar website and reviewed my history. No record of any suspension. I called the Office of Lawyer Regulation and asked about it. The lady I talked with looked me up, said there was no record of any suspension so therefore it never happened.

So, whoo-hoo, I'm still a permanent notary.

But I can't find my stamp.

15. EFMingo

EFMingo A Modern Dinosaur Supporter Contributor

Just buy and order a new stamp. They're overtly expensive for what they are, but probably good to have a fresh one anyways.

16. GrahamLewis

Zen Flesh, Zen Bones
    Yeah, but I still hope I can find where I stashed the old one. Don't really know if I'll use it though, or if that's just a pipe dream. But I feel validated, so to speak. Probably like my license status -- I am classified as "emeritus active," which means I'm essentially retired but still a licensed attorney for $25 a year -- and exempt from any Continuing Legal Education requirement. Which, since I have no malpractice insurance, means I can get myself into trouble.

EFMingo likes this.
  17. Earp

Earp Contributor Contributor

Is there still a lot of notary business around? Here in Michigan, we used to have to have a title notarized before we could sell a car. That went away decades ago. I think the only time I've had to consult a notary since was when I was selling my mother's house.

18. GrahamLewis

Zen Flesh, Zen Bones
    Not a lot, but it's still a requirement on a lot of documents. But you're right and besides it's readily available at banks and such. I was just thinking that I should see what's out there; in this state anyway, wills have to be notarized and many people like to do their own these days.

19. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

I've never had to give a notary money before. There's free ones all over the place.

20. EFMingo

EFMingo A Modern Dinosaur Supporter Contributor

I've never heard of a free notary. Of course, I live in California. The land of bleeding its citizens dry.

21. Homer Potvin

Hmm. Maybe I just know the right people?

22. GrahamLewis

Zen Flesh, Zen Bones
    You're right Homer. Most banks and realtors have free notary services, even libraries. About the only thing they won't do are wills -- and I don't know why that is. Maybe too much risk of litigation. Still, there are notary services advertised so there must be a demand of some sort. I just like to stamp things officially.

Homer Potvin likes this.
  23. Homer Potvin

Duuuuuude... I'm totally getting a stamp. I sign/initial 5 zillion things a day. Fuck that. I'm getting a stamp with my initials, skulls, naked chicks, pot leafs, and I'm going to stamp things from one side of the company to the other.

Thank you for the inspiration!

24. SapereAude

SapereAude Contributor Contributor

You can have a new stamp made.

As to the suspension, I doubt you were "suspended," which is why you don't see a record of your suspension. A number of years ago I missed the renewal date for my architect's license. I contacted the state office that handles professional registrations, I paid a late fee, and my license was renewed. No "suspension" involved ... I wasn't involved in any adverse disciplinary actions, I was just late renewing.

25. Catriona Grace

While I was a legal assistant, I was also a notary. I never charged anyone for notarizing anything. I've never met anyone around here who did or does.

I don't miss collecting CLE credits. I let my CLA lapse in 2015 and haven't regretted it for a second. It was something I did while my children were small and I couldn't be a field scientist.